SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

5G Corona (Enter at your own risk)

Social distancing too little too late.

Experts predicting over 1,000,000 Americans will die.

Flatten the curve.  Avoid large gatherings.  As mentioned in this thread, don't go to the ER for fever and cough, don't call an ambulance for routine issues.  Call your healthcare facility's hotline if you have questions.  There are some people like Oxbow out there who are going to choose to "live their life" and ignore the pleadings of the experts. Fortunately, there are many more people who are choosing to listen to the national public health experts, and are staying home right now.  Healthcare professionals across the nation thank you for helping to flatten the curve. 

IMG_20200312_160455.jpg

• Upvote 1

Because everyone avoided my last post like the plague, or like the coronavirus, I submit again:

...the US will soon have 30,000 troops doing military exercises throughout western Europe, without masks or any kind or protective gear; coming into contact with the local populations there on a big scale. But Europeans can't fly here for at least the next 30 days, I guess, because of the danger of fanning this dangerous contagion. Lol.

If this is such an infectious pandemic, would we risk such high numbers of the populace there or our troops to such, spreading it further? Of course not. But the locals there have no choice and are being confined against their will, much like is happening to us. 

My wife is a RN & works in the surgical/trauma unit of her hospital. Most of her colleagues are approaching this covid nonsense as a variant or strain of the common cold, which it likely is, & taking the necessary precautions. Not saying policy or perceptions there won't change, but that's the prevailing attitude there as of now amongst the nurses, I can't speak for the administrators there....and don't be surprised if (or when) covid-20 emerges later this year once the temps dip again, and covid-21 next year, covid-22, etc., resulting in more cancellations & reductions in personal freedoms, like our right to freely travel, mandatory vaccinations, what have you.

And I guess we can't test for it, according to Cratter's post above, but we can sure give it a name. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.:D

9 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Flatten the curve.  Avoid large gatherings.  As mentioned in this thread, don't go to the ER for fever and cough, don't call an ambulance for routine issues.  Call your healthcare facility's hotline if you have questions.  There are some people like Oxbow out there who are going to choose to "live their life" and ignore the pleadings of the experts. Fortunately, there are many more people who are choosing to listen to the national public health experts, and are staying home right now.  Healthcare professionals across the nation thank you for helping to flatten the curve. 

IMG_20200312_160455.jpg

Who's going to go to Walmart or Target or the groceries store for my family  Chris?

Asking for my wife.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Who's going to go to Walmart or Target or the groceries store fo my family  Chris?

Asking for my wife.

You know that's not what we are talking about.  That said, sanitize when you get home, dont touch your face while there, etc.  Easy steps.

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

You know that's not what we are talking about.  That said, sanitize when you get home, dont touch your face while there, etc.  Easy steps.

What are you talking about? Enlighten me. You seem fairly educated.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Social distancing too little too late.

Over 1,000,000 Americans will die.

So- Andy is usually one of the smartest people in the room.  I’m curious if he’s seen anything or his people have seen anything in the last 36 hours that would alter this projection.  

one of the things I’m seeing is that CA models are extremely worried about it ripping through the homeless population unabated.  

26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So- Andy is usually one of the smartest people in the room.  I’m curious if he’s seen anything or his people have seen anything in the last 36 hours that would alter this projection.  

one of the things I’m seeing is that CA models are extremely worried about it ripping through the homeless population unabated.  

He says we're two weeks behind Italy.

That puts us equivalent to about 7,000-8,000 Americans dead in two weeks from the coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What are you talking about? Enlighten me. You seem fairly educated.

If you don't have to go out right now, don't.  If you need life necessities, go get them. Sports and entertainment are on hold right now. This isn't about living in a bubble.  This is a basic public health strategy that someone who works in healthcare should understand.  As geauxsioux mentioned above,  we are fortunate to live in a less densely populated area.  I'd hate to live in a larger city when the numbers get up there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

I have grave concern about fever being the marker that should lead to quarantine/isolation/testing. Chinese data showed 84% of their patients who were positive for Covid-19 had fever. I don't know to what degree they were testing the ambulatory person with simple cold symptoms. If we could be confident that fever is the indication that a person is shedding, we could get back to business as usual aside from screening everybody for fever as they're queuing up for whatever public gathering they're wanting to attend. People don't want to hear this message because it's a nightmare for hospital staffing. Fortunately it sounds like my hospital system will have on-site testing soon, so I'm hopeful that's true for other areas as well.

Fever isn’t the marker. I said people with cough and fever should stay home. Testing depends on many factors, including recent, travel, occupation, known exposure, sore throat, cough, fever etc. I do believe every medical facility should have protocols in place that allow the health care providers to test without waiting time with some county administrator  

I can’t vouch for this source, but if you google www.worldometers.info it compares different counties from 3/14. 
The USA has one of the lower number of cases per million population (7.5/million). Of the present 2395 cases 10 were listed as critical. USA death rate was 2.2%.  

Some  talk about hospitals overwhelmed with cases and no resources to care for the sick. I have family in the New Rochelle NY area which is the epicenter of one of their outbreaks and that isn’t the info they are hearing. For those of you experiencing that where are you?  

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Fever isn’t the marker. I said people with cough and fever should stay home. Testing depends on many factors, including recent, travel, occupation, known exposure, sore throat, cough, fever etc. I do believe every medical facility should have protocols in place that allow the health care providers to test without waiting time with some county administrator  

I can’t vouch for this source, but if you google www.worldometers.info it compares different counties from 3/14. 
The USA has one of the lower number of cases per million population (7.5/million). Of the present 2395 cases 10 were listed as critical. USA death rate was 2.2%.  

Some  talk about hospitals overwhelmed with cases and no resources to care for the sick. I have family in the New Rochelle NY area which is the epicenter of one of their outbreaks and that isn’t the info they are hearing. For those of you experiencing that where are you?  

I don't know that anybody in the US is experiencing shortages of resources, but we're told that's true in Italy. It "could" happen here, but if people are careful it shouldn't.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

US is 7 to 10 days away from where Italy is. Have heard some accounts from healthcare team members there that are very upsetting. 

3 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

So do conspiracy theories and science denial.

Yep.  Most people are right in the middle, thankfully.

So an Obama guy is making this political and saying a million people are gonna die because of Trump.  Of course.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So an Obama guy is making this political and saying a million people are gonna die because of Trump.  Of course.  

This “Obama guy” is not a politician.  He isn’t a talking head either.  I have personally interacted with him in business.  In the circles I run in, his opinion matters.  He’s not always right, but when he speaks I make sure I hear what he’s saying.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, keikla said:

To be clear, this is 100% where I'm coming from.  People are going to get sick.  There is no way to completely prevent that.  I just want them to get sick at a slow enough rate that the healthcare system doesn't collapse under the weight of it.

This!

What’s frustrating is we have so many politicians that have delayed and continue to delay preparation. Experts have been warning us this is coming and we still have Burgum claiming we will act on facts rather than fear.

26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This “Obama guy” is not a politician.  He isn’t a talking head either.  I have personally interacted with him in business.  In the circles I run in, his opinion matters.  He’s not always right, but when he speaks I make sure I hear what he’s saying.

His Twitter timeline says different.

I'm sure there could be other factors that impacted this but per this chart social distancing helped in 1918 flu pandemic. Hoping we are on the blue curve and not the yellow.

image.png.da43c997018e77ac75e19c6be8be54ff.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That looks like the classic “band aid” curve to me: Do you pull it off slowly with low threshold or fast with peak threshold? 

Either way the area under the curve is about the same. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

For you social distancing police a buddy texted me he's at the Home Show at the Civic Center in Bismarck......packed.

Don't shoot the messenger.