SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

26 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This “Obama guy” is not a politician.  He isn’t a talking head either.  I have personally interacted with him in business.  In the circles I run in, his opinion matters.  He’s not always right, but when he speaks I make sure I hear what he’s saying.

His Twitter timeline says different.

33 minutes ago, Feff said:

This is the problem politics is having with society. Someone makes a comment and instantly the reaction is "well, he belong to the other side so any comment must be politically motivated." Some people don't care about politics and do care about society.

He, as a supposed expert, is openly promoting the "fact" that 1 million people are going to die from this virus and only because of Trump's inaction early on.  Yah, no politics involved at all.  

Repeat: 1 million people are going to die.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

For you social distancing police a buddy texted me he's at the Home Show in Civic Center in Bismarck......packed.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's ok to think it is a good idea and not be trying to police it.  

Guidelines have been drawn up at the assisted living center where my MIL lives, at my place of business and my church.  I intend to follow them as they meet the spirit of the direction from the CDC and I figure they know about it than I do.  I can't control what others do and am not trying to.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For you social distancing police a buddy texted me he's at the Home Show at the Civic Center in Bismarck......packed.

Don't shoot the messenger.

The problem is that we have government officials still encouraging these gatherings.

20 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

The problem is that we have government officials still encouraging these gatherings.

Encouraging? I'll disagree.

But if you're suggesting Martial Law......

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Has Italy peaked?

Who really knows at this point.

Unlike the flu,  we're driving blind with Corovid-19 due to its novelty.  For example, what happens when Italy/China resume normal function and people emerge from self-quarantine?  Are they headed for a 2nd round of infection? 

One thing is for sure, like Dr. Michael Osterholm attested to, we need to stop thinking of Corovid-19 as a quick pass by.  This could very well be with us for a long, long, time, albeit at a high/low level of contagion.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That looks like the classic “band aid” curve to me: Do you pull it off slowly with low threshold or fast with peak threshold? 

Either way the area under the curve is about the same. 

From the source article, the cumulative excess death rate in Philly was about double that of St. Louis.

I tried to copy and paste the relevant passage but it got flagged for an illegal emoji. 

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/104/18/7582.full.pdf

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Encouraging? I'll disagree.

But if your suggesting Martial Law......

Burgum just said yesterday that state will act on fact and not fear. It’s a misleading statement and encourages North Dakotans to live their life as if we are not under a federal emergency.

Also I’m not suggesting martial law...we need some of these politicians to swallow their damn pride.

Edited by Redneksioux

20 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He, as a supposed expert, is openly promoting the "fact" that 1 million people are going to die from this virus and only because of Trump's inaction early on.  Yah, no politics involved at all.  

Repeat: 1 million people are going to die.   

I interacted with him Professionally when he was running Optum Insights.  When it comes to big healthcare data- his methods and quant are basically gospel.

i’d like to see what he’s seeing Along with his narrative to inform my position.  Opinions and action Steps from that data will vary, but I put a lot of credence in what he says.

I’m so glad I’m not a real person but just an AI that inhabits college hockey forums.

Otherwise I’d probably be dead already from SARS, or MERS, or bird flu, or monkey pox, or swine flu, or Ebola, or Zika, or mad cow, or Lassa, or West Nile, or simple chronic halitosis. 

Is this real? Yes. Are people dying from it? Yes. Are people being infected? Yes. 

But do I feel like I’ve heard this tune before? Yes. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, .357 said:

Because everyone avoided my last post like the plague, or like the coronavirus, I submit again:

...the US will soon have 30,000 troops doing military exercises throughout western Europe, without masks or any kind or protective gear; coming into contact with the local populations there on a big scale. But Europeans can't fly here for at least the next 30 days, I guess, because of the danger of fanning this dangerous contagion. Lol.

If this is such an infectious pandemic, would we risk such high numbers of the populace there or our troops to such, spreading it further? Of course not. But the locals there have no choice and are being confined against their will, much like is happening to us. 

My wife is a RN & works in the surgical/trauma unit of her hospital. Most of her colleagues are approaching this covid nonsense as a variant or strain of the common cold, which it likely is, & taking the necessary precautions. Not saying policy or perceptions there won't change, but that's the prevailing attitude there as of now amongst the nurses, I can't speak for the administrators there....and don't be surprised if (or when) covid-20 emerges later this year once the temps dip again, and covid-21 next year, covid-22, etc., resulting in more cancellations & reductions in personal freedoms, like our right to freely travel, mandatory vaccinations, what have you.

And I guess we can't test for it, according to Cratter's post above, but we can sure give it a name. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.:D

US Military has postponed a number of training exercises. I believe that included the European exercise but I would have to look that up. Only a fool would call this nonsense. There is room for discussion concerning what we should cancel and the media has been a big part of the problem. We don’t need to be scared but we need to be concerned. If medical people where you are from are treating this like the common cold they are ignorant morons. They should be able to go about their daily tasks as usual but dealing with this requires much more than the common cold. Lots of hype, plenty of over reaction but this isn’t the common cold and we can and do test for it. 

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

This “Obama guy” is not a politician.  He isn’t a talking head either.  I have personally interacted with him in business.  In the circles I run in, his opinion matters.  He’s not always right, but when he speaks I make sure I hear what he’s saying.

That is not the prevailing opinion and thus far the facts don’t support that persons opinion. Leave Trump and Obama our of this neither of them have a clue as to how to deal with this. It isn’t their job. Our country’s health care experts are dealing with it with support from government agencies and the worlds health care professionals. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Airline stock plummet.

Car rental stocks soar. 

When does the shuttering of all non-essential businesses and restaurants shoe drop?

Where are you going to drive that rental car?

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

What’s frustrating is we have so many politicians that have delayed and continue to delay preparation. Experts have been warning us this is coming and we still have Burgum claiming we will act on facts rather than fear.

Health care professionals aren’t waiting for politicians, preparations have been moving forward for some time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That is not the prevailing opinion and thus far the facts don’t support that persons opinion. Leave Trump and Obama our of this neither of them have a clue as to how to deal with this. It isn’t their job. Our country’s health care experts are dealing with it with support from government agencies and the worlds health care professionals. 

I was trying to make it politically agnostic- hence the quotes.  He is an expert.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I was trying to make it politically agnostic- hence the quotes.  He is an expert.

I hope he is wrong....as an expert.  Because if a million people don't die, or anything close to it, it's going to come off pretty political for him to be that reckless.