SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Picture on front page of Fargo Forum is Cody Holte's wife clinging to a folded American flag at his funeral.

Article below that picture is about a sit-in for George Floyd this Friday in front of the city hall in Fargo.

Any sit-in planned for Cody in GF? Didn't think so.

You have that right to organize a rally or march to show support Cody or police in general.

21 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I couldn’t read this but I find it hard to believe there is a problem in every department in the country. I don’t see it as a issue in rural America. The departments in bigger cities are so big they are bound to have bad apples that the unions protect.  Where I live the only people that have been killed by cops are white so I find it hard to believe our cops are racist.

But seriously what are we supposed to tell our children!!!!!????? All cops are bad and racist? Or do we tell them there are some bad people everywhere that we need to look out for including police but treat doesn’t mean they are all bad.

If I was police chief I would only hire people of color so I would never have to hear my police force is racist. Maybe this should happen every where.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mikejm said:

This country has been sideways on racial equality since Day One. And this country has been trying to legislate racial equality since the aftermath of the Civil War.

LBJ worked hard (see Civil Rights Act of 1964). We have courts and legislatures take stabs at outlawing discrimination almost yearly. And yet the discrimination and unequal treatment continues.

One of my grandfathers (born early 1900s) was the most hateful, racist people I've ever known. I used to think when his generation died off we'd make progress. Then I thought my father's generation was to be blamed for the continuing inequality. He's gone and the problem persists.

America is simply a racist nation, with the discrimination baked into institutions and people, and I honestly don't know how it changes. I understand why people are marching and protesting another death of a black man at the hands of white cops. I see where the continuing frustrations fester and boil. But I'm white and can't ever hope to understand what it must feel like to try to live as a person of color in this country.

I have friends who are not white who tell me they are constantly afraid of being pulled over for "driving while black". I know black men - homeowners, husbands, fathers, professionals - who won't go out for a leisurely walk in their own neighborhood because someone is likely to call the police.

Maybe it is my generation. Maybe when the Boomers die off, America can finally live up to its promise of "all men are created equal". Right now, looking at cities across the nation burning every night, I don't see a way out of this mess.

We need to love and respect each other. I don't know where else to start.

If the hope is to have gov’t fix the problem, than stop electing officials that run on the platform to fix the problem and don’t.  Local, state, federal- if the needle hasn’t moved in 10+ years why continue putting leaders in that spot?  

Sorry about your grandpa and dad, however not everyone had that experience and not everyone is like them.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Guess we will find out soon, MN AG will have a "significant announcement" on the case this afternoon.

My Guess:  Upgrade to Murder 2 so they can charge the other 3 with aiding and abetting. (You can't charge that with Murder 3 in MN)

I hope they aren't sacrificing a conviction to temporarily placate the mob.

https://theundefeated.com/features/a-black-police-officers-perspective/

The vast majority of police are good people.  If do not like some of things going on,, you can show support for police in many ways.If you feel do not comfortable holding a rally, there are many things you can do. Find out when their shift change is, send  them some pizza or subs.  Find out who patrols your neighborhood and have people in that neighborhood send them a thank you.  Write to police station stating your support or an editorial to the paper. If you see an officer on the street, just say thank you.

32 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I hope they aren't sacrificing a conviction to temporarily placate the mob.

I've read and heard from several lawyers who felt that it was undercharged (the Murder 3).  They felt the charges coming down now are more appropriate.

I don't see anything else being added unless the Feds want to throw something on.   

7 hours ago, dynato said:

If you are a Christian, and can't hear #BlackLivesMatter without feeling the need to respond with a criticism that "All Lives Matter," then crack open your Bible and hit up Luke 15.

Don't have it handy? Let me summarize.

There are 100 sheep, but one goes missing. Jesus leaves the 99 and goes after the one.

The 99: "But... what about us? Don't we matter?"

Of course the 99 still matter, but they're not the ones in danger.

The one is.

Sheep Lives matter

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

Is this referencing the study done by Harvard Economics Professor Roland Frye?

He admittingly set out to prove that Blacks were disproportionally killed by cops. He was surprised at what his research showed along those lines but while his study did show that whites are actually slightly more likely to be killed by cops based on the same number of similar interactions it did also show that Blacks and Hispanics are roughed up and physically abused at a far greater rate in similar police interactions.

We need to be better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Guess we will find out soon, MN AG will have a "significant announcement" on the case this afternoon.

My Guess:  Upgrade to Murder 2 so they can charge the other 3 with aiding and abetting. (You can't charge that with Murder 3 in MN)

Winner winner chicken dinner. 

2 hours ago, mikejm said:

But I'm white and can't ever hope to understand what it must feel like to try to live as a person of color in this country.

I've been the only Caucasian in the restaurant in the Arbor Hill neighborhood in Albany, NY. 
I've been the only Caucasian in the room at a nickname discussion at UND. 

If that's a glimpse, it wasn't something I'd like 24-7. 

• Upvote 1

We say it all the time in the sports fan realm, so let's say it:

We can not judge all < group identifier > by the actions of a few rotten apples in that group. 

Let's stop judging people by a color, or a profession, but how they behave as a person. 

I swear some guy said something like that one time ...  

• Upvote 4

On 5/27/2020 at 3:23 PM, jdub27 said:

To be clear, he was interpreting the results of the scientific data, not giving a random opinion. France has also moved on from it. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/27/fauci-hydroxychloroquine-not-effective-against-coronavirus-283980

Turns out, that scientific data was complete and utter nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/covid-19-surgisphere-who-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine

• Upvote 2

February 1 thru May 30 CDC reports 165 COVID (related) deaths age 24 and under.

4 months.....165 deaths. When are we going to let this demographic start living again because most of them are too young to protest, loot or riot?

1.88M new jobless claims this week.....but we should all be concerned if and when Cub, Target and AutoZone rebuild in the smoldering neighborhood on Lake St.

2 NYPD officers shot last night and one stabbed.....but we should be concerned about potential spikes in COVID in NYC because "protesters" aren't practicing social distancing.

38 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

.....but we should all be concerned if and when Cub, Target and AutoZone rebuild in the smoldering neighborhood on Lake St.

Pick your number; but, I'm still taking the over. 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic