SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Not minimizing the severity of suicide or suicide attempts at all.  AT ALL.  I agree the lockdown is not good for mental health.

However, Dr. deBoisblanc's full quote was: "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."  Unfortunately, the Washington Examiner shortened that (and actually misquoted him) as saying he's seen a "year's worth of suicides" in the last four weeks, which better fits the Examiner's misleading headline that there have been more suicide deaths than coronavirus deaths.

Go to the actual source; don't accept the media's spin as truth.

Take care out there and be kind to one another.

20 minutes ago, keikla said:

Ok so let's take that bad flu season and subtract 15k from covid to account for any bogus deaths.  We're at the same number of deaths in less time AND with extreme measures in place to minimize spread.

I'm very well aware of the effect on the economy and have been directly affected by it in multiple ways.  I'm a bit surprised how conservative certain areas are being, given the low number of cases, but I also think decisions can be more convoluted when it isn't clear whether or not the region has peaked.  We got clearance for amb surg and elective cases yesterday (we'll start on tues at about 20% of our pre-covid surgery load), but I know that can be quickly taken away again if cases spike.

I've seen the medical side of covid to an extent I'm guessing no one else here has.  In no way can I understate the absolute trauma of what has happened here in NY. It is unlike anything I have ever seen, and I desperately hope to never see again. Seeing the big picture and agreeing on "the ridiculousness of it all" aren't mutually inclusive.

Do you think that level of novel trauma will ever happen again with Covid cases?

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

….and if McFeely calls out Walz for being a complete idiot based on his decisions he made on Wednesday you know Walz really messed up.

I said early on this lock-down would cause mental health issues. 

Well, I find myself agreeing with McFeely, and Derek Hanson on KFGO. 

See ... I was right. :D 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Have you ever looked into how that number is calculated? If you're going to question Covid-19 numbers and but assume flu numbers are even close to accurate...

That's a good question, too. We're finding out some states inflated their COVID cases numbers. 

After facing weeks of criticism for not being transparent with data about the coronavirus, state officials on Wednesday acknowledged that a test type that does not measure active cases inflated published test counts by 57,000, or roughly 14% of total tests to date. (Link

Also, from GA. 

“You’re putting apples and oranges together and calling them oranges,” said Dr. Harry J. Heiman, a clinical associate professor at Georgia State University’s School of Public Health. “You’re mixing two different tests. ...All that does is over-inflate the testing number. (LINK)

The State of Virginia did it too. 

Earlier this week, we learned that for several weeks, the Commonwealth of Virginia has been combining viral test data with antibody test data in their public reporting on COVID-19. Virginia officials suggested that other states were pooling these two types of results so that, in essence, Virginia was forced to combine them to keep up. (Link)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's a good question, too. We're finding out some states inflated their COVID cases numbers. 

Also, from GA. 

The State of Virginia did it too. 

If only there was some sort of leadership that would have set a standard for all states.

In other news some states have been found to be under-counting covid deaths...

https://komonews.com/news/local/state-epidemiologists-covid-19-related-deaths-likely-being-undercounted-in-wa

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MrEdway said:

Yeah right...then you'd be bitching about what a dictator Trump is. You can't have the same standard for New York and  North Dakota. it's asinine.

What is asinine about having the same standard for counting covid infections and deaths from state to state?

Maybe if we didn't put a dog breeder in in to lead the pandemic task force?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hhschief-speci/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-was-tapped-to-lead-u-s-pandemic-task-force-idUSKCN2243CE

14 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Shame is an equal sword...I cast shame on everyone that donates less than $5k/ year to charity.  I cast shame on people who haven’t saved a million bucks. Lots of ways to cast shame

Really?

13 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I’m just tired.   80+...give me a bottle of good scotch and a triple dose of ketamine.  Honsestly.  I don’t wish Ill upon anyone, but what would you do?  Hold on for one more Christmas?   Stop the world for one. Ire trip to Walmart or the fair?  

Ok I understand you were tired, but you really believe this is all to save one person? The US has lost almost 100,000 lives over a two month period. 

39 minutes ago, keikla said:

I was talking to a colleague yesterday, and she compared this experience to her experience post 9/11.  She said this was worse because 1) it's open-ended, and 2) after 9/11 the country unified. Now everyone is angry and divided, and we're left in this isolated hell without much support.

For a very short time there was a sense of unity before we went back to our individual sides. For a brief moment, we had that moment where we came together. 

“I want you all to know that America today, America today is on bended knee, in prayer for the people whose lives were lost here, for the workers who work here, for the families who mourn. This nation stands with the good people of New York City and New Jersey and Connecticut as we mourn the loss of thousands of our citizens,” Bush said.

25 minutes ago, Goon said:

For a very short time there was a sense of unity before we went back to our individual sides. For a brief moment, we had that moment where we came together. 

“I want you all to know that America today, America today is on bended knee, in prayer for the people whose lives were lost here, for the workers who work here, for the families who mourn. This nation stands with the good people of New York City and New Jersey and Connecticut as we mourn the loss of thousands of our citizens,” Bush said.

There isn't a single issue in this country that doesn't result in it being politisized that divides the country.  Sad that people can come to a bipartisan agreement on anything.  Unfortunately the times we live in today.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There isn't a single issue in this country that doesn't result in it being politisized that divides the country.  Sad that people can come to a bipartisan agreement on anything.  Unfortunately the times we live in today.

The hilarious thing about "partisanship" is that people don't even ask anymore, or even require some evidence of your disposition.  You question aspects of the COVID response and people will just ASSUME (to a degree beyond certainty) that you are a right-wing MAGAmaniac.  It blows my mind that so many people have lost all sense of reason and the capacity for critical thought.

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The hilarious thing about "partisanship" is that people don't even ask anymore, or even require some evidence of your disposition.  You question aspects of the COVID response and people will just ASSUME (to a degree beyond certainty) that you are a right-wing MAGAmaniac.  It blows my mind that so many people have lost all sense of reason and the capacity for critical thought.

Totally.  It’s The immediate discounting of the message based on a bias against the messenger.

Left:  nothing you say matters because you are a heartless bigot that doesn’t share my values!  Which are the correct values!  You only think about yourself!

Right:  nothing you say matters because you are a mindless crybaby that doesn’t share my values!  Which are the correct values!  Stop worrying about everybody else and worry about yourself!

• Upvote 3

In honor of 
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/28844-5g-corona-enter-at-your-own-risk/page/239/?tab=comments#comment-1132136
and
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/28844-5g-corona-enter-at-your-own-risk/page/239/?tab=comments#comment-1132138

.. another Bryan Adams classic ... 

I got my first real exposure
Got it at the five-and-dime
Coughed 'til my lungs just bled
Was the summer of Covid-One-Nine

Me and some guys from school
Stood together, not real far
Me antibodies,, but granny got buried
We spread that virus, near and far

Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I never wanna be there
Those were the worst days of my life

Ain't no use in complainin'
When you've got no job to do
Governor shut all the store fronts
'Cause of China wet market flu, yeah

Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait fourteen days
Oh, and when you held my hand
I knew that it was Wuhan fever
Oh, yeah
Back in the summer of Covid-One-Nine, oh

Man we were killin' time
We were just quarantined 
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin' can last forever, two more weeks, no!
Yeah!

And now the times are changin'
Look at the economy, it's just plain gone
Sometimes when in the lockdown
I think about China, I wonder what went wrong

You told me that it'd last just two more weeks, yeah
I knew that it was Corona virus 
Oh, yeah

It was the summer of Covid-One-Nine, oh, yeah
Me and my baby in Covid-One-Nine, oh
It was the summer
The summer, the summer of Covid-One-Nine, yeah

Note: I've made some tweets.

• Upvote 3

No sh×t Fauci, you idiot. People much smarter than him have been saying this for a month or more.  He could only see things through his narrow lens and nobody can argue because of liability issues based on his findings and recommendations.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

In honor of 
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/28844-5g-corona-enter-at-your-own-risk/page/239/?tab=comments#comment-1132136
and
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/28844-5g-corona-enter-at-your-own-risk/page/239/?tab=comments#comment-1132138

.. another Bryan Adams classic ... 

I got my first real exposure
Got it at the five-and-dime
Coughed 'til my lungs just bled
Was the summer of Covid-One-Nine

Me and some guys from school
Stood together, not real far
We're all fine, granny got buried
We spread that virus, near and far

Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I never wanna be there

Ain't no use in complainin'
When you've got no job to do
Governor shut all the store fronts
So there's nothing to do, yeah

You told me that you'd wait fourteen days
I knew that it was Wuhan fever
Oh, yeah

Man we were killin' time
We were just quarantined 
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin' can last forever, two more weeks, no!
Yeah!

And now the times are changin'
Look at the economy, it's just plain gone
Sometimes when in the lockdown
I think about China, I wonder what went wrong

You told me that it'd last just two more weeks, yeah
I knew that it was touch exposure 
Oh, yeah

It was the summer of Covid-One-Nine, oh, yeah
Me and my baby in Covid-One-Nine, oh
It was the summer
The summer, the summer of Covid-One-Nine, yeah

Excellent 

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No sh×t Fauci, you idiot. People much smarter than him have been saying this for a month or more.  He could only see things through his narrow lens and nobody can argue because of liability issues based on his findings and recommendations.  

why is that all the most horrible men in history has/had little man's disease?

39 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Dave Portnoy >>>>>> Anthony Fauci

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic