SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Given that comment, what do you think the motivation for someone like Walz has is to make the decisions he is, knowing that it will continue to hurt the economy of his state? I mean, he clearly isn't doing it to make himself more popular/re-electable in regards to that. 

We’ve seen the individually tragic stories dominate certain types of thinking.  Think about drunk driving.  The odds of causing a wreck that kills people doesn’t go up noticeably until you are over 0.15 BAC, yet our law is at 0.08.  Individually tragic events garner sympathy and ignore rational thought.  

• Upvote 2

Two new studies suggest that dozens of drugs already approved for use in the United States, including the diabetes drug metformin, may prove effective against the coronavirus, COVID-19. Repurposing these FDA-approved drugs could be a fast way to get treatment to patients. 

Today, “there is no specific medicine recommended to prevent or treat the new coronavirus,” according to the World Health Organization (WHO). “Some specific treatments are under investigation and will be tested through clinical trials,” the WHO said, according to the Washington Post. 

Saw this study yesterday.

And this one. Apparently, your diabetes medicine might help in the fight against COVI19. 

Dipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP4), also known as cluster of differentiation 26 (CD26), is a serine exopeptidase expressed ubiquitously in several tissues, including but not limited to lung, kidney, liver, gut, and immune cells. The question has been raised on whether DPP4 modulation or inhibition may prevent infection and/or progression of the COVID-19. 

25 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

We’ve seen the individually tragic stories dominate certain types of thinking.  Think about drunk driving.  The odds of causing a wreck that kills people doesn’t go up noticeably until you are over 0.15 BAC, yet our law is at 0.08.  Individually tragic events garner sympathy and ignore rational thought.  

So your observation is that around 50 governors are independentally acting with varying levels of irrationality based on indivdiual tragic events? The actual number might vary by a few because I suppose it depends on what someone considers as reasonable guidelines given the circumstances.

Not saying I don't diasagree with various decisions mades, I'm frankly only concerned about one state, but I'm just curious what people think the actual motivations and end games are.

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

I wasn't the one that was insinuating that people that wanted the economy open didn't care about the vulnerable.  Now you are telling me there is no way to protect them. Ironic.

There’s plenty that could be done to protect them, but some choose to blatantly disregard these safeguards as their civil liberties are more important.

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So your observation is that around 50 governors are independentally acting with varying levels of irrationality based on indivdiual tragic events? The actual number might vary by a few because I suppose it depends on what someone considers as reasonable guidelines given the circumstances.

Not saying I don't diasagree with various decisions mades, I'm frankly only concerned about one state, but I'm just curious what people think the actual motivations and end games are.

I believe that almost all believe life is superordinate to the economy and they don’t want to be wrong and have 10% of their citizens die.  It’s foolish to think that way, but they are weighing worst case.  Some of the Dems might get added pleasure by tanking Trump in the process.  They might also believe that the economy is already tanked, so why worry about a lost cause.  

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I believe that almost all believe life is superordinate to the economy and they don’t want to be wrong and have 10% of their citizens die.  It’s foolish to think that way, but they are weighing worst case.  Some of the Dems might get added pleasure by tanking Trump in the process.  They might also believe that the economy is already tanked, so why worry about a lost cause.  

But aren't they also sabotaging themselves when they come up for re-election if they have driven the economy into the ground? Cutting off the noses to spite the face so to speak? On top of that, aren't most of them pointing at the White House guidelines for re-opening and having to meet certani standards. That's where that line of thinking starts to get blurry with me. 

38 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

There’s plenty that could be done to protect them, but some choose to blatantly disregard these safeguards as their civil liberties are more important.

You are all over the place. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But aren't they also sabotaging themselves when they come up for re-election if they have driven the economy into the ground? Cutting off the noses to spite the face so to speak? On top of that, aren't most of them pointing at the White House guidelines for re-opening and having to meet certani standards. That's where that line of thinking starts to get blurry with me. 

I think if the entire economy is in shambles, the only thing you can hang your hat on is the health outcomes.  Even if we do open up tomorrow, the damage is done.  It would give people hope, but the economy is wrecked for a couple years.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Many a Patriot has sacrificed their life for liberty.  Some are in history books, some in distant fields and deserts and on beaches.  Some are names on walls or embodied in triangular folded flags on mantels and in dens. 

With their sacrifice in mind, I believe that civil liberties and economic freedom is more important than any individual’s illness or death.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Given that comment, what do you think the motivation for someone like Walz to make the decisions he is, knowing that it will continue to hurt the economy of his state? It obviously isn't to push his poll numbers up. Clearly there is something driving these decisions as a politician's job rely on their consitutents approving of their job.

Other than he is a D I have no I idea.  You?

• Upvote 1

Reality is beginning to set in. 

"If there's no football season, or if football season is interrupted or shortened, there will be a massive fallout," TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati told ESPN. "There would have to be massive cutbacks. Could the department go on? Sure. It would probably look smaller. There would potentially be fewer sports and much less programming."

58 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Many a Patriot has sacrificed their life for liberty.  Some are in history books, some in distant fields and deserts and on beaches.  Some are names on walls or embodied in triangular folded flags on mantels and in dens. 

With their sacrifice in mind, I believe that civil liberties and economic freedom is more important than any individual’s illness or death.

Would you consider your right to be out without a mask a civil liberty?  Your right to socialize in a bar? How about your right to operate a business with a high number of employees in unsafe conditions? Even if all of the above are liberties, considering the situation shouldn’t we just do the right thing? Those patriots you mention gave up their liberties so we could have them. Why do we have the me first attitude now?

We have 1500 people per day dying from covid right now in our country and many are a little concerned of what this number will look like a month from now. How many covid deaths per day is suitable before we start scaling back again?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Yawn.....

Why do the newspapers scream the "134" number ... but not the the "2757" number?

You know what number I want? 4.86% <-- That's the daily number* I need to hear because it has some context. The 134 means nothing on its own. 

*The math is left to the reader. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

... what do you think the motivation for someone like Walz to make the decisions he is, knowing that it will continue to hurt the economy of his state? It obviously isn't to push his poll numbers up. Clearly there is something driving these decisions as a politician's job rely on their consitutents approving of their job.

Can someone explain it to me? 

Here's hint for all politicians: Ultimately, above and beyond every other issue, people vote their pocketbook

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why do the newspapers scream the "134" number ... but not the the "2757" number?

You know what number I want? 4.86% <-- That's the daily number* I need to hear because it has some context. The 134 means nothing on its own. 

*The math is left to the reader. 

Also, Burgum mentioned in his press conference on Tuesday that he fully expected a slight uptick in the rate of positives, due to the state doing more "targeted" testing. In other words, this isn't at all unexpected.

41 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Would you consider your right to be out without a mask a civil liberty?  Your right to socialize in a bar? How about your right to operate a business with a high number of employees in unsafe conditions? Even if all of the above are liberties, considering the situation shouldn’t we just do the right thing? Those patriots you mention gave up their liberties so we could have them. Why do we have the me first attitude now?

You apparently have a warped understanding of the word “unsafe.”  

Because your sense of, “the right thing” is completely lacking in factual support it’s impossibly to take you seriously.

You are full of conclusions, but completely lacking in facts supporting the conclusion.  They are kinda the important part.

14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

You apparently have a warped understanding of the word “unsafe.”  

Because your sense of, “the right thing” is completely lacking in factual support it’s impossibly to take you seriously.

You are full of conclusions, but completely lacking in facts supporting the conclusion.  They are kinda the important part.

Was LM wind providing safe conditions? Smithfield? How about Tyson?

11 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Was LM wind providing safe conditions? Smithfield? How about Tyson?

Remember when those places were supposed to cause huge outbreaks in their respective cities?  Not so much....isolated incidents.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

We have 1500 people per day dying from covid right now in our country and many are a little concerned of what this number will look like a month from now. How many covid deaths per day is suitable before we start scaling back again?

We will never agree, because I don’t believe it is the responsibility of the government nor the citizens to do everything in our power to protect people at all costs.  If I believed that, I would ban guns, ban cars, ban alcohol, ban tobacco, ban fire, ban knives, ban swimming pools, ban bears, ban sharks.  

start the sunscreen police next.  Don’t eat meat.  Etc.

its a cruel world and some people lose and some people die.

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic