SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

How about we quarantine everyone above the age of 60 and the rest of us just go on and live our life as usual???!!!!! Dumb dumb dumb, WAKE UP PEOPLE! More kids will die from starvation because of this hysteria than people who will die from the Wuhan Flu

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the NCAA should grant an extra year of eligibility for all student-athletes no matter the sport. They are being cheated out of playoff games and post-season tournaments because of something completely out of their (and their school's) control. Push the reset button on eligibility and give these young men and women another year.

I thought about that, too, but what about the cascading effect?  There are kids waiting to come in next year who may be aged out of juniors.  What do they do if there isn't room for them anymore?  Then if they're stuck in juniors, then there are some kids finishing high school who don't have anywhere to go because the juniors rosters are filled up.  

The graduating seniors will be disappointed and pissed off that this happened, but will still go on with their lives and careers just the same as if they played the post season.  But if some kids further down the line don't get their chance at all, their career might never happen.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

I thought about that, too, but what about the cascading effect?  There are kids waiting to come in next year who may be aged out of juniors.  What do they do if there isn't room for them anymore?  Then if they're stuck in juniors, then there are some kids finishing high school who don't have anywhere to go because the juniors rosters are filled up.  

The graduating seniors will be disappointed and pissed off that this happened, but will still go on with their lives and careers just the same as if they played the post season.  But if some kids further down the line don't get their chance at all, their career might never happen.

Those are good questions. I just think we need to do what is best for the student-athletes that are in college now. Graduating seniors deserve another shot at winning conference and/or national titles. Not to mention the memories and experiences of being on a team.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Those are good questions. I just think we need to do what is best for the student-athletes that are in college now. Graduating seniors deserve another shot at winning conference and/or national titles. Not to mention the memories and experiences of being on a team.

So where do you hit the reset button?  Do you not play any games next fall/winter and just pick up the NCHC tournament first round come next March?  I don't have the answer either, but this season looks like it'll be a nice big * in the scorecard of sports history everywhere.

If domestic flights aren't stopped, it makes me wonder if the ncaa and professional sports leagues decisions are more financial based than health recommendation based.  

How can we have hundreds of thousands of people still flying all over the country..... yet a gathering of under 200 people to have a hockey or basketball game is not allowed?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Point of view from a hockey fan and doctor, take it for whatever fits your view.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/03/12_It-Doesnt-Matter-Shutting.php

Dr. Avash Kalra, in addition to being a staff writer for CHN, is a Transplant Hepatologist at a hospital in Denver.

THIS is why you can't have careers in sports journalism, kids. The jobs are being taken up by highly paid professionals from completely unrelated disciplines.

• Upvote 1

At this point I am more worried about a recession the likes of which we haven't seen since the 1930's.  The stock market fell 24.8% in 1929.  We're down 24% from highs last month right now with no end to the panic in sight.  Our economy might not recover from this.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

At this point I am more worried about a recession the likes of which we haven't seen since the 1930's.  The stock market fell 24.8% in 1929.  We're down 24% from highs last month right now with no end to the panic in sight.  Our economy might not recover from this.

This......^^^

But some here will be back to tell you shutting down everything is the "right" move..........

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

When this is all said and done, the Market and our economy will come back stronger than ever.  It's all gonna be ok.

• Upvote 3

The point is that Obama did not panic and shut everything down in 2009 during the swine flu.  The reaction we are having today might be more damaging than the virus itself.  Yes, we got through the 1930's, but how many people suffered through poverty?  How many died as a result of that poverty?

I'm not saying coronavirus is not dangerous or that we shouldn't be concerned.  I'm just saying that we need to think real hard about the actions we're taking to combat it and how the ramifications of those choices might be worse than doing nothing at all.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

When this is all said and done, the Market and our economy will come back stronger than ever.  It's all gonna be ok.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that.  I am watching Amazon's stock price and am probably going to jump on it if it approaches 1200.  This is an opportunity to buy and hold long term right now.

ETA:  1200 is about 40% off of AMZN high of about 2100 a month ago.

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

A lot of businesses (and universities) will never reopen after they "temporarily" close.  They were financially strapped before this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2