SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Cynic’s view:

I’m more worried about being T-boned by a Fargo “blow through the yellow-turns-red light” driver than catching cornoavirus at an NCAA event. 

I’m more worried about being killed by a Fargo “blow through the yellow-turns-red light” driver than by coronavirus (caught anywhere). 

Disclaimer: It’s not just in Fargo, but Fargo has been exceptionally bad lately. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So you are gonna go political on this site. If we had a president that did not cut the C D C and put some preparation into this (it was only a surprise to him)'we would not be here.

No we don’t gave a president who cut the CDC. Fake news. Please get your facts right before making a fool of yourself. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

RPI just announced that the quarter final series between them and Harvard will be without fans in the stands — social distancing. (I’m rolling my eyes.) 

Minnesota must be ahead of the times, they've been hosting games to an empty arena all season.  ;) 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cynic’s view:

I’m more worried about being T-boned by a Fargo “blow through the yellow-turns-red light” driver than catching cornoavirus at an NCAA event. 

I’m more worried about being killed by a Fargo “blow through the yellow-turns-red light” driver than by coronavirus (caught anywhere). 

Disclaimer: It’s not just in Fargo, but Fargo has been exceptionally bad lately. 

While I personally am more worried about other deadly situations despite the fact that so far four people in my office building have tested positive, I understand that city and hospital officials are more concerned. 

There is no vaccine, it spreads as fast as, if not faster, than the flu, the known death rate is higher than the flu, and hospitals can't handle a massive number of cases regardless of the illness.

There's a reason events here in Europe are being canceled: the hospitals are full. I can understand why cities could be asking for these events to be canceled. If 1% of a regional gets sick, you're looking at maybe 80 people.  If 1% of Detroit gets sick, there's a major problem.

40 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Minnesota must be ahead of the times, they've been hosting games to an empty arena all season.  ;) 

If they make the tournament and the NCAA goes this route is this advantage Minnesota? ;) :D

• Upvote 1

No, not a thread about beer and sport. 

Please keep all the corona-chat (general) and corona-hockey impact discussion here. 

I'll go and consolidate what's out in threads now. 

But as always: NO POLITICS.

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Look into the data. If you are under 60 and in moderately good health this is another flu strain.

Or, ask someone in the game for real like this fellow: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/%3foutputType=amp 

That guy is lucky to still be in the game. The ones who aren't can't write articles and aren't just 60+ year olds or those with immune issues. 

It's not the flu.

• Upvote 1

It symptoms like flu. It treats like flu. It’s viral like flu. It kills the aged and immunocompromised like flu. 

Until we have real infection numbers (no test kits) we don’t have real mortality stats.

It’s like folks don’t understand being sick once in a while is part of the package deal called the human condition. (Death is part of the deal too.) 

• Upvote 1

Can you imagine if 20,000 people got together at a Frozen Four game and 2,000 of them came down with the virus.

Which ultimately resulted in a death. Maybe even two?!

There would be outrage in the streets.  And calls to cancel all events nationwide.

Oh wait.

Nevermind.

Those are real influenza numbers in the United States.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It symptoms like flu. It treats like flu. It’s viral like flu. It kills the aged and immunocompromised like flu. 

Until we have real infection numbers (no test kits) we don’t have real mortality stats.

It’s like folks don’t understand being sick once in a while is part of the package deal called the human condition. (Death is part of the deal too.) 

Overall very reasonable, but "death is part of the deal" is not a convincing argument against mitigation. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Again........as of today in the US you have a much greater chance of getting influenza than coronavirus......and dying from it. 

More kids went to/or missed school in the FM area this past week with the flu or some other URI condition than there are total coronavirus cases in the US.

• Upvote 2