SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

The guideline from the health organizations currently is to quarantine.  I guess they could choose to ignore that.  I don't think that's the smart move but i'm not an expert either.  I'm choosing to listen to the experts, but you can do what you want.

• Upvote 1

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

"The corona is 10x more fatal than the flu"......

Since been debunked statistically. Was at 3% mortality 3 weeks ago, then down to 1% (hence your 10x worse), now down to roughly at 0.5%.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Since been debunked statistically. Was at 3% mortality 3 weeks ago, then down to 1% (hence your 10x worse), now down to roughly at 0.5%.

Yes, and all of those stats are foolproof since everyone has been able to get tested as needed.  Keep on keeping on brother.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Also saw a headline at least 70% infected in China are fully recovered. That’s promising. 

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The only thing I will say is that these professional sports leagues and the NCAA aren't going to make decisions that cost them millions or 100's of millions of dollars based on media hype or overreaction.  Before they start costing themselves milllions they are going to consult with the highest levels of government and the CDC.  They have access to more information than you or I.

My take is that when these businesses start shutting down operations costing them millions then this crap just got real, it must be real.  It's really happening and it's not just because of "hype" or "overblown" or "hysteria".  

Agree 100%

That being said, if the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is held as scheduled with fans, I will be there.

4 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

The guideline from the health organizations currently is to quarantine.  I guess they could choose to ignore that.  I don't think that's the smart move but i'm not an expert either.  I'm choosing to listen to the experts, but you can do what you want.

I appreciate your opinion and very much appreciate how you ended your post- such is the way it should be in this great country.

Fear and the reactions of people are the greater danger than the pathogen itself.  With six degrees of separation, it doesn’t take much to quarantine all of society. 

Is this virus such a threat that stopping its spread is more important than living our normal lives?  I haven’t seen facts that indicate that it is.   The simple reality is this virus is here to stay now...it will come every year.  We will eventually vaccinate, but it will mutate- just like flu and other Coronaviruses.  

if society shuts down from natural pathogens- we are at midnight on the doomsday clock.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agree 100%

That being said, if the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is held as scheduled with fans, I will be there.

I really doubt the NCHC will hold the Frozen Faceoff with fans.  Especially now that basketball conference tournaments are being played with no fans and this weekends games are being played with no fans.

Just now, UND1983 said:

One word comes to mind:  Liability.  

Exactly.  Not only are they considering the financial impact of playing at empty arenas, they also have to consider getting sued by fans claiming they got sick in their arena.  Or players that felt forced to play, and later contracted the virus.   

• Upvote 1

I appreciate your opinion and very much appreciate how you ended your post- such is the way it should be in this great country.

Fear and the reactions of people are the greater danger than the pathogen itself.  With six degrees of separation, it doesn’t take much to quarantine all of society. 

Is this virus such a threat that stopping its spread is more important than living our normal lives?  I haven’t seen facts that indicate that it is.   The simple reality is this virus is here to stay now...it will come every year.  We will eventually vaccinate, but it will mutate- just like flu and other Coronaviruses.  

if society shuts down from natural pathogens- we are at midnight on the doomsday clock.

And honestly I agree about trying to avoid a panic. There's so much information flying around right now, who knows what to think?  Thanks for being civil.  Cheers and Go Sioux!

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

One word comes to mind:  Liability.  

I agree with that.  I also agree that they may have been forced into the corner of cancelling due to the possibility of bad publicity of continuing the games.  It would be a PR nightmare if the games played on and the pandemic blew up and out of control and could be linked to people attending sporting events.

Nobody wants to be the league that's legacy is they are willing to kill their fans, or players, just so they can make a buck.  It would be a PR disaster.

16 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Yes, and all of those stats are foolproof since everyone has been able to get tested as needed.  Keep on keeping on brother.

Which indicates it's mortality rate is nowhere what was first predicted but keep fanning the gloom and doom.

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I really doubt the NCHC will hold the Frozen Faceoff with fans.  Especially now that basketball conference tournaments are being played with no fans and this weekends games are being played with no fans.

Until I hear from the NCHC, I am not changing my plans. They better make a decision on that this week.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Which indicates it's mortality rate is nowhere what was first predicted but keep fanning the gloom and doom.

Again, i'm not trying to fan doom and gloom I just think there's potentially fire to the smoke here.  You may be right and this is all overkill.  I don't know.

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This is my biggest fear, that this is the new normal.  

I'm not willing to live like this with annual shutdowns and total disruptions of our society.  I'd rather live my life and just deal with whatever happens.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Until I hear from the NCHC, I am not changing my plans. They better make a decision on that this week.

The decision they are making now is to have it without fans or cancel it all together.  Fans in attendance seems a distant 3rd place of the 3 options.

Just now, Walsh Hall said:

The decision they are making now is to have it without fans or cancel it all together.  Fans in attendance seems a distant 3rd place of the 3 options.

The NCAA tournament games are being held without fans. I have not heard anything from the NCHC regarding their tournament.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Why are malls not being closed?  Or offices with hundreds of people in them?  

I don't understand the thought process on eliminating all sporting events but leaving open congregation centers.  Anybody?

I work for SAP. Offices in SEA/TAC suburbs and the Bay were urged to work from home as of last Friday, with exception to personnel that need to be in the office, but even then asked to exercise judgment. Offices in MPLS and Virginia received word in the last half hour to follow suit. 

Could not agree more that things are being blown out of proportion by some but the question still remains, no matter what the trends or infection rates are, both in and out of comparison to other known diseases or epidemics, would we rather take too many precautions so as to mitigate its spread, or let this doubt/skepticism overrule and actually end up with a humanitarian crisis?

Gonna err on the side of caution. That said, if people choose to inform themselves on COVID-19 in its current state and how its affecting everyone, which I strongly believe a simple 10-15 minutes of research will make a world of difference, then this sense of hysteria will start to dissolve. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

This is my biggest fear, that this is the new normal.  

I'm not willing to live like this with annual shutdowns and total disruptions of our society.  I'd rather live my life and just deal with whatever happens.

But people smarter than you know what is best for you.

I stated this earlier....the precedent has now been set.

This is the new normal.

Eat dessert first.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic