SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Trading halted after stocks plunge on virus fears. 
Some credit cards are rapidly being run up.

Fear >>>>> Corona

This is going to get uglier.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why are malls not being closed?  Or offices with hundreds of people in them?  

I don't understand the thought process on eliminating all sporting events but leaving open congregation centers.  Anybody?

Same principle as going online for universities but allowing students to stay on campus. Resident halls are breeding grounds for spreading. I don’t understand some of these decisions. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This country is being bright to its knees by fear....not the virus.

Recovery from getting the virus is a couple weeks. Recovery of society from this hysteria will be years.

I’m with you on this.  I feel like the actions being taken are akin to throwing gasoline on a fire...I understand that people are being cautious of a bad case scenario, but wow.

we live in a biological world and we are biological organisms.  What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.  Not to be callous, but the old and compromised who are vulnerable to Covid19 are also vulnerable to any number of pathogens as well as the extremely deadly fall and broken hip.

perspective:  37 deaths in US so far from Covid19...49 deaths per year on average in the US from lightning strikes...

I recognize that we are early in the potential exponential growth of this virus, and it could get worse.  The common sense approach as opposed to the shut down everything approach seemed like the more rationale management strategy.  Politics and risk management (aka lawsuits) seem to be the order of the day rather than common sense.  Which is unfortunate.  

the doomsday scenario with people dying in the halls of hospitals while the lucky get vented seems like science fiction.  If I’m wrong, then we’re all in deep !@#$.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Maybe.....but seems like the CDC has firm grip on this. Look at how they were able to get the test kits out and available in a timely manner.

As someone who was part, albeit on a very microscopic level,  of Obamacare I learned this quickly...….regardless of party affiliation it is never about getting it "right" when politics are involved.

So when someone say "we chose truth over facts" it really isn't that far off.

How many in the United States have been tested? If you go in with flu symptoms you are tested for the flu. The only way you can be tested for the Coronavirus right now is if you have had contact with someone infected/travelled to one of the hotspot countries AND are showing symptoms. 

We could go on about why there is a shortage of test kits available right now and politically I don’t think you are going to like the reason. The reality is we haven’t had the test kits available so action is now being taken.

• Upvote 2

It's interesting to see the different views on this situation.  I tend to believe this is overblown, but at the same time, the numbers and situation in Italy, and the death rate, are not good.

It's so much harder to have a grasp on this stuff when everything is politicized.  Can you trust the media or the administration?  I try to trust common sense, but even that is tough to keep with the constant bombardment of crap from all sides...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

How many in the United States have been tested? If you go in with flu symptoms you are tested for the flu. The only way you can be tested for the Coronavirus right now is if you have had contact with someone infected/travelled to one of the hotspot countries AND are showing symptoms. 

We could go on about why there is a shortage of test kits available right now and politically I don’t think you are going to like the reason. The reality is we haven’t had the test kits available so action is now being taken.

And I'm not going to disagree with you. We should be better than South Korea.

I would rather be prepared for something that doesn't happen than not be prepared for something that does.

If nothing happens, I won't have to get groceries for a long time (not a bad thing).

If something does happen, I will be prepared.

And it's not like non-perishables like bath tissue are going to spoil.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I would rather be prepared for something that doesn't happen than not be prepared for something that does.

If nothing happens, I won't have to get groceries for a long time (not a bad thing).

Lol. Its 2020, not 1920.  

Just now, yzerman19 said:

The shutting down of American Institutions like the NCAA tournaments and the NBA send the completely wrong message.  It invokes greater fear.  

From a practical standpoint, though, what is the NBA supposed to do once multiple players on a team test positive?  They need to quarantine.  Does that team just have to forfeit its games? What about all the players, media members, staffers, fans, etc those players have come into contact with?  At some point their hands are tied.

I guess i'm glad we have so many experts in our corner of the internet here.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Never a bad idea to be prepared.  My grandfathers taught me to live off the land if need be.  Fishing tackle, shotgun, rifle, ammo, water purification, sleeping bags, batteries, Matches, some basic medicines- you can live a very long time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

From a practical standpoint, though, what is the NBA supposed to do once multiple players on a team test positive?  They need to quarantine.  Does that team just have to forfeit its games? What about all the players, media members, staffers, fans, etc those players have come into contact with?  At some point their hands are tied.

I guess i'm glad we have so many experts in our corner of the internet here.

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

• Upvote 1