SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

21 minutes ago, dynato said:

In the past two weeks, 14 days, we have had 17K deaths.  In the past five days, we have had 9K deaths. 

17M unemployment is part of a larger problem than COVID and an entirely new discussion. Our country was heading towards a recession before COVID, as reflected by the feds lowering interest rates and pumping hundreds of billions into money markets before the first case of corona hit US soil. With the 4 trillion dollars in bailouts to corporations, why is it that companies were not able to keep any of these people on payroll? 

With the Dems throwing in that unemployed will get $600 more than they were making a week I suspect that’s part of the reason,

some will stay unemployed as long as they can and then look for work

unemployment always used to be less than you were making so it made you want to look for work, not this time around, good employees will go back as soon as they can and good employers will want them back soon

this shutdown will hurt for years to come

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Everyone who lost your job - you are collateral damage to an unknown that will be a known very shortly.  Sorry but we couldn't take the chance of this unknown doing something, even though it's 2020 and we are the most advanced country in the world.  Sorry again.  

Therein lies the genesis of the problem.  The most advanced country in the world put forth a 2nd world response; all entities of government.  And because of such, there is no optimal solution.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kab said:

With the Dems throwing in that unemployed will get $600 more than they were making a week I suspect that’s part of the reason,

some will stay unemployed as long as they can and then look for work

unemployment always used to be less than you were making so it made you want to look for work, not this time around, good employees will go back as soon as they can and good employers will want them back soon

this shutdown will hurt for years to come

I would stay unemployed as long as possible if I was one of the people who actually make the same or more.  Funny how that $600 add on was pushed hard for by one certain party during an election year.   "Remember this in November everyone who got laid off!"

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

So again the "experts" have 60k+ deaths nationwide by 8/4 and MN will have a third of that total???

The "experts" predicted 60k death nationwide, yet NY has 8K deaths, 1/8 of that despite there being 50 states. NY has 800 deaths a day now. Their projections are much worse. 

6 minutes ago, dynato said:

The "experts" predicted 60k death nationwide, yet NY has 8K deaths, 1/8 of that despite there being 50 states. NY has 800 deaths a day now. Their projections are much worse. 

Way to dodge the question. What does NY have to do with MN? You might as well bring Italy back into the conversation.

30 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So again the "experts" have 60k+ deaths nationwide by 8/4 and MN will have a third of that total???

I've by and large approved of his handling and communication of this, but Walz should be pushing back on Jan Malcolm much harder on this data.  The disconnect is absurd.  Somebody is wrong...by a lot.   

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I would stay unemployed as long as possible if I was one of the people who actually make the same or more.  Funny how that $600 add on was pushed hard for by one certain party during an election year.   "Remember this in November everyone who got laid off!"

7 minutes ago, Kab said:

And why would that party push for the $600

its called buying votes 

Stop now

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Way to dodge the question. What does NY have to do with MN? You might as well bring Italy back into the conversation.

If you are comparing one state to national projections, I should be allowed to compare other states to the national projection. It is not dodging if you don't understand that. 

Just now, dynato said:

If you are comparing one state to national projections, I should be allowed to compare other states to the national projection. It is not dodging if you don't understand that. 

I'll check the box "Yes" for you that MN will have a third of all US deaths. Your number manipulation in this thread is impressive though.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

And how is that.

Answering that, in depth, will lead us down a political rabbit hole.  

But, suffice it to say, the current administration is a gong show,  previous administrations never gave two craps to implement a comprehensive response to this potential scenario, and state government is always out to lunch.  Meanwhile the science community is screaming about the potential for this to happen to anyone who would listen.   Incompetence is institutional.   A 2nd world response due to neglect, greed, politics, apathy, and stupidity.  

• Upvote 1

I do not, in any way, think MN will account for 1/3 of all USA deaths. 

I'll check the box yes that I agree with the MN model for a final death count range of ~9-36k COVID deaths in MN by the time this is done.

I do not believe in the experts modeling there will only be 60k total deaths in the USA. I'll let you check the yes box for that one. 

6 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I've by and large approved of his handling and communication of this, but Walz should be pushing back on Jan Malcolm much harder on this data.  The disconnect is absurd.  Somebody is wrong...by a lot.   

Did they say those would be the numbers by August or were they assuming a later time frame.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was a longer time frame that they were assuming those numbers but not 100% sure.

However, I see another run in a few weeks that will knock it down because the assumptions will change (i.e: treatment, social distancing working, antibody testing, etc.) so I am taking all the death projections with a grain of salt. 

8 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

But, suffice it to say, the current administration is a gong show,  previous administrations never gave two craps to implement a comprehensive response to this potential scenario, and state government is always out to lunch.  Meanwhile the science community is screaming about the potential for this to happen to anyone who would listen.   Incompetence is institutional.   A 2nd world response due to neglect, greed, politics, apathy, and stupidity.  

The science community had a broken model.  The mobilization of industry has been remarkable.   And Yes some states would bleed the US treasury dry for their incompetent's .

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Etiology is a cause. Judgment is a sensible conclusion. IMO the death total will be overestimated due to conclusions....not actual cause.

On the topic of sensible conclusions I can't wait to heard from Fauci and Birx today........

I have to assume you'd also state that flu deaths (along with many other causes) are very much overestimated then as the same methodology is used and there is often more than one cause of death listed?

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Interestingly enough, President Bush was obsessed with pandemics. He passed a bill that budgeted 7 billion dollars towards preparing plans for a pandemic to be passed on from administration to administration. 

In 2005, he was quoted in a speech 

""If we wait for a pandemic to appear," he warned, "it will be too late to prepare. And one day many lives could be needlessly lost because we failed to act today.""
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-bush-2005-wait-pandemic-late-prepare/story?id=69979013

32 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

And how is that.

Well let's look at what we have and what we don't have twelve weeks into this

Dont' Have

-Wide spread testing (we also have no timeline for getting it in the future)

-Sufficient PPE (nor do we have a system to allocate PPE to support hospitals during outbreaks as evidenced by NYC, Albany GA, Michigan, etc.)

- Sufficient monetary support to individuals and small businesses impacted by the shutdown to prevent foreclosures and other personal financial hardship.

-Sufficient financial support for hospitals to keep them open and fully staffed during the outbreak

Have

-$500 billion slush fund with virtually no accountability and no concrete plans for deploying

-$390 billion SBA loan program that has turned into a boondoggle with little to no actual funds being disbursed

-Some retroactive tax cuts that will take months for taxpayers to monetize

-Six or seven distributors of PPE that get free products from the federal government that they turn around and sell at an extremely high mark up to the various state goverments

Describing our response as second world is extremely charitable as there are multiple third world countries who've addresses this better than us.

8 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

Well let's look at what we have and what we don't have twelve weeks into this

Dont' Have

-Wide spread testing (we also have no timeline for getting it in the future)

-Sufficient PPE (nor do we have a system to allocate PPE to support hospitals during outbreaks as evidenced by NYC, Albany GA, Michigan, etc.)

- Sufficient monetary support to individuals and small businesses impacted by the shutdown to prevent foreclosures and other personal financial hardship.

-Sufficient financial support for hospitals to keep them open and fully staffed during the outbreak

Have

-$500 billion slush fund with virtually no accountability and no concrete plans for deploying

-$390 billion SBA loan program that has turned into a boondoggle with little to no actual funds being disbursed

-Some retroactive tax cuts that will take months for taxpayers to monetize

-Six or seven distributors of PPE that get free products from the federal government that they turn around and sell at an extremely high mark up to the various state goverments

Describing our response as second world is extremely charitable as there are multiple third world countries who've addresses this better than us.

D.L. ….does that stand for Don Lemon?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1