SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So 74000 deaths were projected in MN. On 11:59 pm on 3/27 a shelter in place order went into effect. The projected death total is now somewhere around 1000 +/- by early August. So for the multiple "experts" here is that roughly 73000 projected decrease in deaths strictly due to mitigation thru the 4/30 timeframe? If so it would seem more than reasonable to expect certain states of this country......MN and the Dakotas, WI.... possibly most states could get back to some normalcy in early May? Or we could surmise that the models were way off to begin with. I'm not saying mitigation isn't helping......it is just hard to imagine that alone over basically 4 weeks would cut the death total by 98%. BTW roughly 3500-3700 Minnesotans die every 30 days just because.

The first models that I heard were from many were “this is a cough”, “not as bad as the flu”, “this is their new hoax”, and “one day this will magically disappear”. 

Like it or not I think we we are learning the stay at home orders and social distancing will be all that we can do to reduce deaths from this virus until there is a reliable treatment or vaccine.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

The first models that I heard were from many were “this is a cough”, “not as bad as the flu”, “this is their new hoax”, and “one day this will magically disappear”. 

Like it or not I think we we are learning the stay at home orders and social distancing will be all that we can do to reduce deaths from this virus until there is a reliable treatment or vaccine.

To your first point those are "opinions".....models produce data and numbers. Goodness.

You're an "expert".........what time frame is that?? July? December? A year from now? None of those scenarios are sustainable from a society standpoint. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

You're an "expert".........what time frame is that?? July? December? A year from now? None of those scenarios are sustainable from a society standpoint. 

Overwhelming our hospital systems causing thousands of extra Americans to die is also not sustainable from a society standpoint. 

Hopefully that vaccine is still going to be here in a few months. 

Staying on topic...How to stay healthy now? Don’t go cram into hugo’s and target like everyone else in grand forks yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Overwhelming our hospital systems causing thousands of extra Americans to die is also not sustainable from a society standpoint. 

Hopefully that vaccine is still going to be here in a few months. 

Staying on topic...How to stay healthy now? Don’t go cram into hugo’s and target like everyone else in grand forks yesterday. 

Again to your first point......with peaks in most states hitting late April the overwhelming argument won't be in play a whole lot longer after to that.

I'll be blunt......you've been completely out of your lane on these topics since day one. You parrot talking points...that it. Stay holed up in Thompson for as long as you want. No one is going to stop you from peaking your head out the door after 4/30.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

You call that staying on topic? Lol. 

Anyways once again there is a certain group of people that are unwilling or incapable of taking a big picture view.  People die everyday.  On one extreme end, a complete hands off approach would have led to a significantly larger number of people dying.  On the other end, a complete totalitarian approach would have been to wrap every persons residence is plastic wrap, punch a few holes in the top for air, and not let them leave (hint, we are alot closer to this option than option 1).  You don't collapse the economy and potentially society for 1 person.  You don't do it for 2 people.....where is that line?  Keeping in mind that there are many maladies in the US (flu, obesity, diabetes, you name it) that kill a large number of people EVERY year, not just once every 5-6 years.  Think of how many obese people you could save by leaving restaurants closed?  Or closing down Pepsi and Coke?  You can take targeted preventative measures without collapsing everything.  Does stay at home guidance make sense for dense areas like NYC and Minneapolis?  Probably.  Does it make sense for Nimrod, MN?  No.  Does it make sense to shut off visitors from nursing homes during this (like happens during other respiratory disease outbreaks)?  Probably.  

Meanwhile at least one hotline is announcing a 300% increase in suicide calls....and the money related stress issues will far outlast corona......https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/26/mental-health-experts-fear-coronavirus-anxiety-may/

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The real lesson should be those Chinese wet markets can’t exist in the way they currently do. 

Here's another? or maybe even transferred among humans over time from these wet markets?

Has Covid-19 been in humans for years?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus/has-covid-19-been-in-humans-for-years/vi-BB129QyN?ocid=spartandhp

Leading scientists tell CNN that it's possible the virus didn't just come from bats in the past months, but that it could made the leap to humans many months, perhaps even years ago before it then transferred among people to become as lethal as it has.

31 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Here's another? or maybe even transferred among humans over time from these wet markets?

Has Covid-19 been in humans for years?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus/has-covid-19-been-in-humans-for-years/vi-BB129QyN?ocid=spartandhp

Leading scientists tell CNN that it's possible the virus didn't just come from bats in the past months, but that it could made the leap to humans many months, perhaps even years ago before it then transferred among people to become as lethal as it has.

Wow. A two minute hard news piece featuring cameos from Kate Winslet, Matt Damon, and Laurence Fishburne. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Germany has had a very low death rate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/world/europe/germany-coronavirus-death-rate.amp.html.

But it's 5G rollout has been very slow this year.

Yet the maps of deaths in Germany don't match with the maps of cities with 5G.

Northern Italy doesn't have widespread 5G, how do you explain those deaths? 

Peddle your !@#$ somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again to your first point......with peaks in most states hitting late April the overwhelming argument won't be in play a whole lot longer after to that.

I'll be blunt......you've been completely out of your lane on these topics since day one. You parrot talking points...that it. Stay holed up in Thompson for as long as you want. No one is going to stop you from peaking your head out the door after 4/30.

You think it’s just going away after the peaks and shelter in place orders are lifted?

i can be blunt too and will make sure my family and friends will be staying out of the lane of your medical practice which obviously chooses extreme right wing stances over life. 

Fauci was just on national tv this morning saying states that remain open are putting their people at risk. Obviously you disagree with him, but eventually Burgum will fall in line and realize this as well. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This is pretty goddamn rich coming from you, Oxblowhard.   You should stop pretending to be a doctor on Siouxsports.   Your advice will likely kill people.

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

You call that staying on topic? Lol. 

Anyways once again there is a certain group of people that are unwilling or incapable of taking a big picture view.  People die everyday.  On one extreme end, a complete hands off approach would have led to a significantly larger number of people dying.  On the other end, a complete totalitarian approach would have been to wrap every persons residence is plastic wrap, punch a few holes in the top for air, and not let them leave (hint, we are alot closer to this option than option 1).  You don't collapse the economy and potentially society for 1 person.  You don't do it for 2 people.....where is that line?  Keeping in mind that there are many maladies in the US (flu, obesity, diabetes, you name it) that kill a large number of people EVERY year, not just once every 5-6 years.  Think of how many obese people you could save by leaving restaurants closed?  Or closing down Pepsi and Coke?  You can take targeted preventative measures without collapsing everything.  Does stay at home guidance make sense for dense areas like NYC and Minneapolis?  Probably.  Does it make sense for Nimrod, MN?  No.  Does it make sense to shut off visitors from nursing homes during this (like happens during other respiratory disease outbreaks)?  Probably.  

Meanwhile at least one hotline is announcing a 300% increase in suicide calls....and the money related stress issues will far outlast corona......https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/26/mental-health-experts-fear-coronavirus-anxiety-may/

How was i not on topic? The cdc is recommending the use of face masks in public to protect others from what you might have. Very few face masks being used out in public in North Dakota and we are still mostly open for business and cramming ourselves into shooing centers like sardines.

Also so there’s a big difference between controlling diabetes and the spread of an airborne virus. 

27 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

You think it’s just going away after the peaks and shelter in place orders are lifted?

i can be blunt too and will make sure my family and friends will be staying out of the lane of your medical practice which obviously chooses extreme right wing stances over life. 

Fauci was just on national tv this morning saying states that remain open are putting their people at risk. Obviously you disagree with him, but eventually Burgum will fall in line and realize this as well. 

26 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

This is pretty goddamn rich coming from you, Oxblowhard.   You should stop pretending to be a doctor on Siouxsports.   Your advice will likely kill people.

I need one of you two tell all the rest of us with your expertise when society can back to living? Is it when we have zero new cases nation wide? Last death? "Staying healthy".......address that for the 10M unemployed over 2 weeks? Millions more to come. Millions that will lose most everything they had. Hunger, abuse, depression, substance abuse....and I can go on. Simple minds like yours won't respond to any of this because it doesn't fit your narrative. "Staying healthy" for this nation will be a bigger issue for much longer once the virus issue has been taken care of.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This has finally come into focus for me, and it's mind blowing.

People want to compare this to war, and want to invoke the American fighting spirit and a sense of national unity.  But since when is America so afraid of death?

Does D-Day happen - at all - if the DC brain trust (political and military) sat around discussing a 'flattened curve' of American and Allied casualties?  What if they had postponed the invasion a few months, waiting to see if they could devise a less bloody strategy or strengthen their medical corps?  No, to the contrary, we sacrificed thousands of lives - history books tell us it was the right thing, and for 75+ years we have celebrated the heroism and bravery and honored the dead with the utmost reverence.

Maybe coronavirus isn't so much something to be feared as something to be boldly endured.  Yes, people are going to die.  No, not everyone who needs medical attention will get it.  I'm sure a lot of GIs bled out on the beach in Normandy who could have been saved if there had been medical aid available. 

And what is the right number of ventilators?  Or ICU beds?  And what triage priority to patients?  What was our deployed medical capacity in WWII?  Should there have been a med-evac unit available for every soldier on June 6, 1944?  I don't even know if there was an evacuation plan in place, because the early waves of the invasion were a bit of a one-way ticket.  

Yes. Take reasonable precautions.  Save lives.  But we all have to LIVE our lives, too.  Please do not invoke any national obligation to avoid death at all costs, or say sacrificing all individual liberties along with every shred of normalcy and destroying (even temporarily) the quality of life we have all earned and enjoyed is the right thing to do.  Because that seems like a slap in the face to what this country stands for.  Or used to stand for.

The survivors will remember.  The dead will not have died in vain.  And if this is a war we cannot win, let us die with dignity - and valor, and not in fear.

It probably doesn't need to be said but the planning for D-Day probably would have been quite a bit different if 80 year old grandmothers and six month old children were on the front lines so this comparison is meaningless.  Also, we're looking at casualty number in the U.S. alone that exceeds any military battle in history.

6 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

It probably doesn't need to be said but the planning for D-Day probably would have been quite a bit different if 80 year old grandmothers and six month old children were on the front lines so this comparison is meaningless.  Also, we're looking at casualty number in the U.S. alone that exceeds any military battle in history.

You just proved how ignorant you are. Just go away.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

C'mon man.

You just cant help yourself with the political stuff can you.

Simply replying. Would you prefer I resort to a personal attack? My mind may not be complex enough for that. 

Have fun fun with your right wing circle jerk between 6 members im out:)

Hey mods: lighten up.  You guys gonna close every fucking thread where people argue?  Like it or not the Covid convo cannot happen without including the government in the conversation. 

To me this thread needs to be treated differently.

• Upvote 2