SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

15 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Hahaha! All the world views in one place...magnified by anonymity and lack of accountability 

Semi-anonymity.  I met quite a few people at the Hogg back in my younger days.

Just now, yzerman19 said:

Oh great...next thing you’re going to tell me is that there are giant hornets that can kill a small child out there too.

Um....……….

10 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Oh great...next thing you’re going to tell me is that there are giant hornets that can kill a small child out there too.

I thought half of Texas was supposed to be dead already from the Africanized killer bees that arrived in the late 1980s...……..

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

By not shutting down their country, Sweden has lost just under 2,700 people or 0.0265% of their population.  The predictions from the educated said that they would lose 40,000 by May 1st and 100,000 by June.

Lockdown Stockholm Syndrome

https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/3rd-May-UK-Sweden-768x506.png?itok=aVwjc5BZ

Right, but Covid didn't hit Scandinavia as hard as expected. Comparing Sweden to the UK is quite disingenuous in terms of assessing the effectiveness of locking-down via raw numbers. 

More suitable comparisons are neighboring Finland and Norway (both of whom locked down) which Sweden is sandwiched in-between.   

Sweden's Covid death rate, per capita, is 6.5x higher than both Finland and Norway.  

• Upvote 1

can't we all just be japan...business as usual...if you feel sick stay home...if you get really sick go to the doctor.

Simple philosophy about whether to wear a mask:

If you don't give a damn about anyone else, don't wear one.

If you care about other people, wear one.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

Where are you placing the mask ?  :)

You’ll just have to keep an eye out for me at Hugos to find out.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Right, but Covid didn't hit Scandinavia as hard as expected. Comparing Sweden to the UK is quite disingenuous in terms of assessing the effectiveness of locking-down via raw numbers. 

More suitable comparisons are neighboring Finland and Norway (both of whom locked down) which Sweden is sandwiched in-between.   

Sweden's Covid death rate, per capita, is 6.5x higher than both Finland and Norway.  

The point was that they were supposed to have 40,000 deaths by now, if they didn’t close everything down. They have around 2,700. The “experts” were way off.  I also, for weeks, kept hearing about flattening the curve or you would see a huge spike. Sweden didn’t seem to experience that. The UK, who did shut down, did spike, at least briefly. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I thought half of Texas was supposed to be dead already from the Africanized killer bees that arrived in the late 1980s...……..

Some were just coming out of their house for that, and now have to go back underground for this.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

The point was that they were supposed to have 40,000 deaths by now, if they didn’t close everything down. They have around 2,700. The “experts” were way off.  I also, for weeks, kept hearing about flattening the curve or you would see a huge spike. Sweden didn’t seem to experience that. The UK, who did shut down, did spike, at least briefly. 

There was an article somewhere in this thread about Sweden.  Part of the reason they've likely been so successful is that a majority of people already work from home and live alone, so risk of spreading is inherently lower just based on general lifestyle differences. 

1 hour ago, Gma loves hockey said:

My life, my choice. You can choose to stay home if you are so terrified of encountering me without a mask. Doesn't bother me in the slightest when I pass within 2 feet of another mask less person

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Was in GF for a few days and went to EGF Hugo's last evening.  Was interesting to see 90%+ of people in there wearing masks.  It really didn't feel awkward or out of place to wear one since it was the norm in there.

It was mentioned on here that they required or requested that people wear masks into the store.  I haven't seen that anywhere else but am wondering if anyone knows if that is true.

51 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

• Upvote 1

I am a responsible senior citizen with extreme claustrophobia. The thought of wearing a mask is troubling but I gave it a try entering the grocery store. Couldn't do it especially after my glasses fogged up making matters worse.  Now I go get groceries during low traffic hours without a mask. 

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

Models are not predictions of the future, they merely describe a range of possibilities.  The 40,000 figure was calculated late-March.  What actually occurred was Scandinavia wasn’t hit as hard as other parts of Europe.  Sweden’s low death rate (and lack of a spike) is a reflection of this…...as is Finland and Norway’s absurdly low numbers.

Your argument is akin to comparing North Dakota (if it didn’t lock-down) to Massachusetts.  Two completely different scenarios, with no common ground to make any meaningful assessment from.  

What we do have for valid comparisons are Finland and Norway.  These are countries similar in proximity, geography, governments, demographics and even population density.   Again, Sweden has a death rate, per capita, 6X higher than its neighbors who locked-down.     

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

What is the source of this graph? I'm just wondering if the actual data is only through late April or if they really stopped having deaths. 

So I just listening to the expert that modeled the IHME.  One of the main factors to predict was cell phone tracking.  Are people moving and transmitting the virus.  Seems logical but if you are from Seattle how do the assign weights of this variable for say ND and NY.  If he did assign a zero weight for ND and 100 per cent for ND the model with this variable was junk.  Now I have an understanding why the wide swings.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What is the source of this graph? I'm just wondering if the actual data is only through late April or if they really stopped having deaths. 

Good point I need to check. Looks like Sweden ran out of calendar.