Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, dynato said:

Here is the COVID case fatality rate vs the the 2017-18 flu case fatality rate (the worst flu in recent history). All this data is pulled from the CDC. I've also included data from NYC.gov specifically as a frame of reference. To me, this shows NYC is slowing down, but to also proceed with caution. 

Note: if you do not trust the CDC's numbers for flu or covid just ignore this. 
XynfarP.png

 

From or with?  Or both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

From or with?  Or both?

Read the note

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dynato said:

Read the note

I asked from or with, not that hard of a question. I realize you didn't understand it last time I brought it up when you gave out an ill-advised lecture about credibility (ironic) but it should be clear now.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I asked from or with, not that hard of a question. I realize you didn't understand it last time I brought it up when you gave out an ill-advised lecture about credibility (ironic) but it should be clear now.  

It's not a question worth answering if you are going to completely disregard the numbers no matter which way they are reported. According to the CDC, the deaths are an accumulation of death reports from every health jurisdiction. The CDC and health jurisdictions label it as from. The CDC also states that while there are concerns for over counting, the united states is facing 22-36% excess deaths not attributed to corona, an indicator of corona actually being heavily under counted in our health care systems. Again, you either trust the CDC and the health jurisdiction method of reporting deaths or you can continue to ignore this. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

If you have zero reason to believe that you are shedding virus, and you are not invading the personal space of someone vulnerable, I don’t see why you’d wear a mask to go about your daily business.  By this logic we’d be asking people to wear masks anytime there’s an environmental pathogen that could kill...Flu? Measles? Cold Sores?  
 

 

There is no reason you should have zero reason that you are not shedding the virus.  Unless you were recently tested negative for the virus and subsequently had contact with anyone you could have the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

There is no reason you should have zero reason that you are not shedding the virus.  Unless you were recently tested negative for the virus and subsequently had contact with anyone you could have the virus.

This is why I prefer non-shedding dogs.   No shed no spread.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

There is no reason you should have zero reason that you are not shedding the virus.  Unless you were recently tested negative for the virus and subsequently had contact with anyone you could have the virus.

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

This isn't the holy angel of death people.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

I'll take the CDC's word for it over Alex Berensen any day.

CDC data shows February 1 thru May 2 (3 months) 740000 people in this country have died. Death happens. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 new positives in ND on 1401 tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keikla said:

I saw a video clip floating around the other day of a woman who had cut a slit in the mask right over her mouth.  "It makes it so much easier to breathe!" she said.  If someone can find the clip and post it here, please do.

Take a deep breath and hold it as long as you can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

This isn't the holy angel of death people.   

 

A handful on this board don't grasp the concept of magnitude.  You can be cautious about a situation without curling into the fetal position and quitting life.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

A handful on this board don't grasp the concept of magnitude.  You can be cautious about a situation without curling into the fetal position and quitting life.  

Totally agree.  Common sense isn’t so common, so some people Err on the side of paranoia and control, Others Err on the side of liberty and deal with consequences.  Life is like riding a bull, but it goes on for 80 years instead of 8 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dynato said:

Here is the COVID case fatality rate vs the the 2017-18 flu case fatality rate (the worst flu in recent history). All this data is pulled from the CDC. I've also included data from NYC.gov specifically as a frame of reference. To me, this shows NYC is slowing down, but to also proceed with caution. 

Note: if you do not trust the CDC's numbers for flu or covid just ignore this. 
XynfarP.png

 

So you have a graph to show us NY covid deaths are much higher than the rest of the US.  Ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

If the how the two were acquired and subsequently spread were even in the same zip code, your comparison might make sense.

They aren't and it doesn't.

People are free to choose to do what they want (unless of course you want to visit an establishment that has their own requirements), but pretending there isn't actual reasoning that backs why wearing masks can help is a strange stance to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If the how the two were acquired and subsequently spread were even in the same zip code, your comparison might make sense.

They aren't and it doesn't.

People are free to choose to do what they want (unless of course you want to visit an establishment that has their own requirements), but pretending there isn't actual reasoning that backs why wearing masks can help is a strange stance to take.

Which is why you have seen people of all ages with masks on in this part of the country from early November thru early April for decades..... 

People are free to choose.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dynato said:

The CDC also states that while there are concerns for over counting, the united states is facing 22-36% excess deaths not attributed to corona, an indicator of corona actually being heavily under counted in our health care systems. 

Possibly. Or it's an indicator the lockdowns are having a significantly negative effect on public health. Probably a combination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If the how the two were acquired and subsequently spread were even in the same zip code, your comparison might make sense.

They aren't and it doesn't.

People are free to choose to do what they want (unless of course you want to visit an establishment that has their own requirements), but pretending there isn't actual reasoning that backs why wearing masks can help is a strange stance to take.

Masking works a little, but is overkill.  Hence my comparison.  It’s quite possible in my life that I spread a flu to someone who spread it to someone’s great grandpa who got it and it killed them. Sorry, but I can’t live life in fear or preventing that.
 

I live in a suburb of the 2nd largest city in this country.  I don’t walk around in fear of acquiring or spreading covid.  I am not reckless or heartless.  

I just know we live in a biological world...  I could wrap my children in bubble wrap too, but I don’t.  
 

You must see the insanity of this.  The greatest, most advanced country ever to exist on earth was brought to its knees by a biological occurrence, and some people are acting like it’s 12 Monkeys or Resident Evil.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Possibly. Or it's an indicator the lockdowns are having a significantly negative effect on public health. Probably a combination. 

No doubt it is it is a combination, I will not argue against that. There will be more suicides and more domestic homicides. I would be willing to bet money to your favorite charity that negative effects on public health account will only account for a small sliver of the excess deaths being experienced in America. Suicide rates and domestic homicides would have to double, nearly triple to account for all of the excess deaths. To me, that idea is unrealistic until proven otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dynato said:

No doubt it is it is a combination, I will not argue against that. There will be more suicides and more domestic homicides. I would be willing to bet money to your favorite charity that negative effects on public health account will only account for a small sliver of the excess deaths being experienced in America. Suicide rates and domestic homicides would have to double, nearly triple to account for all of the excess deaths. To me, that idea is unrealistic until proven otherwise.

I don't think it's all suicide, murder, and OD. People are having heart attacks and strokes by themselves. People are avoiding the hospitals and missing necessary treatment.

Just 2 weeks ago my girlfriend had to convince her aunt's family to take the aunt into the hospital. They were afraid of her catching the virus at the hospital because she has significant preconditions. After some arm twisting they took her in and found she'd had a heart attack. She'd be dead had she not gone to the hospital. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think it's all suicide, murder, and OD. People are having heart attacks and strokes by themselves. People are avoiding the hospitals and missing necessary treatment.

Just 2 weeks ago my girlfriend had to convince her aunt's family to take the aunt into the hospital. They were afraid of her catching the virus at the hospital because she has significant preconditions. After some arm twisting they took her in and found she'd had a heart attack. She'd be dead had she not gone to the hospital. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I am happy she is alive. I assume a full recovery and they did not catch COVID while in the hospital?

To be honest, I am still going to have healthy skepticism until I see quantifying data showing something similar to typical hospital visits for XYX during covid months and non covid months. If it was an issue that hospital systems were experiencing, I'd like to believe they would already be implementing widespread information campaigns letting citizens know considering the whole "preservation of life at all costs" thing is big right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dynato said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I am happy she is alive. I assume a full recovery and they did not catch COVID while in the hospital?

To be honest, I am still going to have healthy skepticism until I see quantifying data showing something similar to typical hospital visits for XYX during covid months and non covid months. If it was an issue that hospital systems were experiencing, I'd like to believe they would already be implementing widespread information campaigns letting citizens know considering the whole "preservation of life at all costs" thing is big right now. 

No covid so far. Thanks. 

As for the preservation of life at all costs, I think the decision-makers are often more focused on stopping Coronavirus at all costs. Unfortunately those 2 aren't necessarily the same thing. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hospital admissions in CA are way down as a whole, slightly up for Covid this week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No covid so far. Thanks. 

As for the preservation of life at all costs, I think the decision-makers are often more focused on stopping Coronavirus at all costs. Unfortunately those 2 aren't necessarily the same thing. 

I agree with that. All I know is that I want more information from our decision makers. Why they made certain decisions and when, based on what metrics/thought process. And preferably for it not to be found in their book 10 years down the road. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...