Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dustin

Bubba extension

Recommended Posts

For me, the extension signals that mediocrity in football is good enough. I hate to say it, but this wasn't deserved in my opinion.

 

Part of the motive here was to help recruiting because anything less than a 3 year contract these days is leveraged against a program.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

For me, the extension signals that mediocrity in football is good enough. I hate to say it, but this wasn't deserved in my opinion.

 

Part of the motive here was to help recruiting because anything less than a 3 year contract these days is leveraged against a program.

It's a 2 year extension.  Not 7.  If UND finishes towards the bottom of the Valley the next two years, then you can fire him.  LAst year we were undefeated at home and made the playoffs.  If that's mediocre, I hate to see what your comments were like during the last 2 years of Mussman!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kab said:

Easy to throw Bubba under the bus when you aren’t making the decisions, I’m hoping he succeeds and we have successful years.

lets put our efforts in filling the stands and see what happens and let Bubba coach.

looked at my last pay check and there was no line for coaching or AD salary on it.

was quite a line item for taxes tho., wish I could give some of that to UND instead of wasting it in Washington.

So we should just sit down and shut up? Sorry, that ain't the way it works.

Criticizing a contract extension for a coach of a program who has yet to win an FCS playoff game is completely fair game. This whole "We have to support everything UND does no matter what" mentality is not healthy for our programs. But just keep believing in it if that makes you feel better.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So we should just sit down and shut up? Sorry, that ain't the way it works.

Criticizing a contract extension for a coach of a program who has yet to win an FCS playoff game is completely fair game. This whole "We have to support everything UND does no matter what" mentality is not healthy for our programs. But just keep believing in it if that makes you feel better.

Alright you can stand.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

For me, the extension signals that mediocrity in football is good enough. I hate to say it, but this wasn't deserved in my opinion.

 

Part of the motive here was to help recruiting because anything less than a 3 year contract these days is leveraged against a program.

If Chaves has come to the conclusion that Freund has "it", and if he wants Freund to step in to replace Bubba when ready, then this move makes tons of sense.  If Chaves thinks Freund has the potential to be the future of the program, and even if he thinks Bubba is mediocre, why NOT extend Bubba if it allows Freund to develop?  If Chaves were to fire Bubba, we would have a few years of instability due to a new coach coming in anyways, and we would potentially be worse off in both the short term and the long term (IF Freund turns out to be a star, as many of us think he has the potential to be).  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If Chaves has come to the conclusion that Freund has "it", and if he wants Freund to step in to replace Bubba when ready, then this move makes tons of sense.  If Chaves thinks Freund has the potential to be the future of the program, and even if he thinks Bubba is mediocre, why NOT extend Bubba if it allows Freund to develop?  If Chaves were to fire Bubba, we would have a few years of instability due to a new coach coming in anyways, and we would potentially be worse off in both the short term and the long term (IF Freund turns out to be a star, as many of us think he has the potential to be).  

^this

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If Chaves has come to the conclusion that Freund has "it", and if he wants Freund to step in to replace Bubba when ready, then this move makes tons of sense.  If Chaves thinks Freund has the potential to be the future of the program, and even if he thinks Bubba is mediocre, why NOT extend Bubba if it allows Freund to develop?  If Chaves were to fire Bubba, we would have a few years of instability due to a new coach coming in anyways, and we would potentially be worse off in both the short term and the long term (IF Freund turns out to be a star, as many of us think he has the potential to be).  

So - after 6 years of Mussman and so far 6 years of Bubba (with zero playoff wins and a 37-32 record) we should wait another few years so that our coach with 1 year of OC experience can develop into a potential head coach?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Irish said:

So - after 6 years of Mussman and so far 6 years of Bubba (with zero playoff wins and a 37-32 record) we should wait another few years so that our coach with 1 year of OC experience can develop into a potential head coach?  

Yes, because we aren't going to get anyone who is better right now, and our Facilities are what is holding the program back, not coaching, IMO.  Need to win recruiting battles, and the other 3 Dakota schools dominate us in the facilities department.  I think it's actually pretty amazing that UND football is doing as good as it is right now while working out of Memorial Stadium, which was probably condemned lol.  This isn't D2 anymore, and an indoor practice facility (phase1) isn't enough.

Guarantee that if we hired a new coach it would probably be a D2 guy or a first time head coach.  I'd rather take Freund.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

One a different note....saw Bubba at the UND/NDSU BB at the Betty.  He was walking with a cane.  Did he have some type of "lower body" procedure after the FB season?

Bubba has looked awfully old for a long time.   I don't know about the cane now but he had some procedure done last year too IIRC.   The thing about Bubba, he looks like he's 70, he walks like he's 80, he coaches like he's 90.   The problem is, he isn't even 60 yet.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

This building is listed as "Athletes Village" in UND's 2018 Athletics master plan.  Not sure what that means exactly.  Hopefully it's housing for Athletes. Opposite view:

image.thumb.png.c597af8e18c712a5b64ee0a990fdd3fd.png

East coast colleges build these so athletes can stay together... popular trend.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So we should just sit down and shut up? Sorry, that ain't the way it works.

Criticizing a contract extension for a coach of a program who has yet to win an FCS playoff game is completely fair game. This whole "We have to support everything UND does no matter what" mentality is not healthy for our programs. But just keep believing in it if that makes you feel better.

You can do whatever makes you feel good, in the end it’s not going to matter what you think 0n any coaches contract

i get frustrated at times too, the 0nly thing is does is raise my blood pressure

heres to a good year 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This building is listed as "Athletes Village" in UND's 2018 Athletics master plan.  Not sure what that means exactly.  Hopefully it's housing for Athletes. Opposite view:

image.thumb.png.c597af8e18c712a5b64ee0a990fdd3fd.png

Well, I thought only FBS programs built athlete dorms.

There is a bunch of empty dorms now.  Football really seems to be getting an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Bubba has looked awfully old for a long time.   I don't know about the cane now but he had some procedure done last year too IIRC.   The thing about Bubba, he looks like he's 70, he walks like he's 80, he coaches like he's 90.   The problem is, he isn't even 60 yet.  

Had a hip replacement earlier this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

East coast colleges build these so athletes can stay together... popular trend.... 

The trends change with time. Schools change this all the time. Many years ago it was Jock dorms. Then they felt that the athletes and regular students needed to live together

for a more well rounded college experience.(LOL) That was the trend for awhile. Then it was co-ed living. Now we are back to jock dorms.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

First off, they are the same job: Associate Athletic Director, Athletics Major Gifts, though Steve was a "Senior" Associate AD which comes with experience. Secondly, you predicted UND would replace a major fundraising position after the person in that position left? And that UND hired an internal candidate for the position (pretty safe bet Belmore and probably Dodson were the favorites to move over to athletics from their current roles of Health/Med and Art/Sci). You should stick to those kind of predictions instead of ones like this:

 

I talked to Dodson about the job and was somewhat surprised to learn that he is very happy in his current role with the Medical School development.  So much so that he wasn't interested in the athletic job.  He would have done a great job - for a guy from the South, it didn't take him along to "bleed green".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I talked to Dodson about the job and was somewhat surprised to learn that he is very happy in his current role with the Medical School development.  So much so that he wasn't interested in the athletic job.  He would have done a great job - for a guy from the South, it didn't take him along to "bleed green".

He's one of the really good guys working within the university

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am truly surprised at how many people on this board that think that after Bubba's body of work for the past 6 years think he deserves a big raise and an extension.  And the answer that "this is the best we can do right now - we couldn't get anyone better,  but maybe, just maybe his first year OC will mature and be the guy in a few years" just makes me sad about the state of the once great program.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Irish said:

I am truly surprised at how many people on this board that think that after Bubba's body of work for the past 6 years think he deserves a big raise and an extension.  And the answer that "this is the best we can do right now - we couldn't get anyone better,  but maybe, just maybe his first year OC will mature and be the guy in a few years" just makes me sad about the state of the once great program.  

 

Well first off, I don't think it was a big pay raise. I believe he is starting this contract at the same salary that his last contract ended. Second, I don't disagree that his performance has been underwhelming and sure would have hoped to be farther along the building process by now but what would you have preferred Chaves do? I don't think there was any chance of firing a coach after a playoff season. I think the only thing they could have done was let him coach this year on a "win a playoff game or you're done" scenario. I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't think there were a lot of options. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some have mentioned, I'm going to wait until the details come out before I praise or am super internet angry about the contract extension.

There's so many scenarios that could play out. I'm just hoping there's wording in there where he can seamlessly be transitioned to a fundraising position at any point following this coming season. I'd think giving Danny two more years at OC would be beneficial but for once I think we have an internal candidate who legitimately should be our next head coach.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This building is listed as "Athletes Village" in UND's 2018 Athletics master plan.  Not sure what that means exactly.  Hopefully it's housing for Athletes. Opposite view:

I think this is a bit farther off than is being led on barring some big changes. To my knowledge, there hasn't been anything approved by the SBoHE yet, which I'm pretty sure would be required to put up a new building or enter into any partnership.

That being said,  the coaching staff is being moved into to some nice space in Starcher and the locker rooms are being moved into the Hyslop as Memorial is not acceptable anymore. Viewed as an interim move until HPCII can be finalized. 

Not a perfect solution, but everyone will be in a much better space than they are currently in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I hope all of you are perfect at your job and work miracles daily. This was a once great program. 20 years ago. Bubba and he staff have shown that the are making positive steps to improve the program with what they are working with. Honestly, FCS wise its probably one of the hardest schools to get decent playmakers to when they could just go 60 miles south and win national championships. Also, the program currently doesn't have locker rooms. What I am getting at is, I love he passion on here for UND football, but let's be real this is not a destination spot for coaches. Right now, Bubba is the best we can do and keeping him means keeping his staff, which if you go to any games, practices, or coaching clinics you know Bubba has done a solid job assembling his coaching staff, which is one of the most important jobs of a Head Coach. I get it everyone on here is sick of average. Well they've been to the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and without a slew of injuries it would have been 3 of 3. I know I'll get some smart remarks about this post, but we need to be realists. UND football is making improvements. Not as drastic as most would like, but they are noticeable.  

Remember when we had a future FBS head coach apply for the job and they lost out to Bubba?

No, UND isn't getting a current FBS coach to head to GF, but to say UND should be happy with Bubba because it's not a destination school is crap. Get a coach on the rise instead of collecting a series of seasons just good enough to make the playoffs and then lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...