Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zypher

Hobey Baker

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

And all that was because of what was in front of him.  I feel like he averaged only facing like 15 shots a game, but maybe that was during the shutouts.

I agree.  His Defenseman that year were dominant.  But voters look at the stat line, and that is how he won. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I set up Zoom meeting to watch the Hobey Ceremony together as UND fans if anyone wants to join-send me a text with your email and I’ll send you an invite.  

7014121905 

Starts at 9:30 on Saturday. I posted this on All Things Fighting Sioux on Facebook too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 11:43 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Any other year, Panzer would have won the Hobey.  But Ryan Miller had arguably the best season by a goalie in college hockey history.  Yeah it sucked that Panzer didn't win it, but can't really blame the voters for awarding it to Miller looking at his stats from that year:

31-5-4 record (NCAA record for winning percentage)

.950 Save percentage (NCAA record)

1.33 GAA (led nation)

10 Shutouts (NCAA record)

I mean....those were basically Dryden mckay's stats this year.

 

30-4-2...actually a better winning percentage

.941 save percentage

1.31 GAA

10 Shutouts

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bale31 said:

I mean....those were basically Dryden mckay's stats this year.

 

30-4-2...actually a better winning percentage

.941 save percentage

1.31 GAA

10 Shutouts

Wow!  I had no idea on the shutouts .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

I want to start out by saying that I really do not care a great deal about the Hobey, because the voters have been too regional about their viewpoints and not followed the standards for the award which are a combination of character and hockey IN THAT SEASON.  I have been to all but one frozen four in the last 32 years and enjoy all of the conversations that I have had with folks over the years regarding games and Hobey candidates.  There are many players that are deserving of the Hobey that have not won.  Since it is a seasonal achievement of hockey/character,  I do believe it should no doubt go to Kawaguchi.  I do not think it will, as voters will likely look at career and not season and the character part is very overshadowed.  Also, please do not kid yourself, the team the player plays for also has an effect on voters.  MN-Duluth has won 5 Hobeys, but I do not think many voters know that.  The Hobey also does not translate to success in the NHL.  Here are the five players from Duluth that have won the Hobey, and the number of NHL games that they played:

Tom Kurvers            - 659

Bill Watson               - 115

Chris Marinucci       -    13

Junior Lessard        -     27

Jack Connolly          -       0 , for a total of 814 games for all of the MN-Duluth Hobey winners.

I was in Boston for Zach's Hobey hat trick season, and his loss to Junior Lessard was one of the biggest injustices that I have seen.  It was great talking to Zach and I wished him success as he went forward to his professional career.  My personal opinion is that it was a senior vs. sophomore issue, and Zach did not have to be "the man" every night but was a consistent performer.  By the way, Zach has played in 1015 NHL games (200 more than the 5 MN-Duluth Hobey winners) and has scored far more goals/points than the five of these candidates together.  From a character standpoint he has always represented the university and team very well.  You can see by the number of times he has worn a "C" or "A" for his teams, he is well respected.  I am not saying this because I am a homer with green glasses.  If Ehn would have won the Hobey instead of Duncan, I would have been very happy for him.  He was a great guy on his team, member of a service academy, and an awesome player that year.  I do wish Jordan luck as we watch the Hobey presentation and I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

The big thing that went against Zach and I think will go against Guch the same way is the league player of the year vote. Voters see that Lessard was player of the year over Parise and Perunovich the same over Guch so how do you vote the Hobey for the other. Unfortunately I think the precedent is set and it doesn't bold well for our guy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

The big thing that went against Zach and I think will go against Guch the same way is the league player of the year vote. Voters see that Lessard was player of the year over Parise and Perunovich the same over Guch so how do you vote the Hobey for the other. Unfortunately I think the precedent is set and it doesn't bold well for our guy! 

I believe the player of the year award(s) are all out after the ballots have been in for the Hobey by the real voters.  That trend I do believe does hold for the Hobey, as too regional focused by voters and not taking into account the season rather than career numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Duluth hobeys to stop too. 

Lessard's trophy may also have to do with having more goals and points than Parise.  Also, Lessard didn't have another hobey finalist (Bochenski) on his team.  I agree Parise's a better player though.

Interesting stats about the NHL games.  Good thing for Ryan Duncan, the hobey is based upon a season in college, not a career in the pros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told that Kawaguchi got a lot of second assists at the Ralph all season long.  Disgusting.....:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HockeyMom said:

I set up Zoom meeting to watch the Hobey Ceremony together as UND fans if anyone wants to join-send me a text with your email and I’ll send you an invite.  

7014121905 

Starts at 9:30 on Saturday. I posted this on All Things Fighting Sioux on Facebook too.

 

26953883-8A79-4F92-A3BD-8AE71078AE4A.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recollection was Lessard survived a near death experience due to a rip current and that helped his case. I also remember someone back then suggested it was also to help college hockey recruiting in Canada but I'm less convinced about that.

Lessard ended up in the LNAH at one point, not exactly a career to be proud of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

My recollection was Lessard survived a near death experience due to a rip current and that helped his case. I also remember someone back then suggested it was also to help college hockey recruiting in Canada but I'm less convinced about that.

Lessard ended up in the LNAH at one point, not exactly a career to be proud of.

True, but he did get 27 games in the NHL.

That's 14 games more than Chris Marinucci, and

27 games more than Jack Connolly did.   (2012 winner, another award gifted to UMD.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm hoping for good things, but expected to be disappointed.

 

Yeah me too.   The Committee has a history of gifting awards to UMD and UM ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Yeah me too.   The Committee has a history of gifting awards to UMD and UM ...

Broten...Stauber...Bonin...Leopold.  With all due respect, which of those four did not deserve to win?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Broten...Stauber...Bonin...Leopold.  With all due respect, which of those four did not deserve to win?

The three that weren't goalies.:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Broten...Stauber...Bonin...Leopold.  With all due respect, which of those four did not deserve to win?

 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The three that weren't goalies.:whistling:

Here's a quick history page with each year's top ten:

https://www.uscho.com/faq/hobey/

I was going to say something similar to Wilbur:  Bonin and Leopold.   (But you could make the case for Steve Ulseth in 1981 too.  Or Aaron Broten.  Both had a ridiculous year.)

In 1996, I would have favored Jay Pandolfo (BU) Brendan Morrison (ugh, Michigan) or Martin St Louis (Vermont).

In 2002, both Mark Hartigan (who brought St Cloud up from nowheresville to second in the WCHA) and Ryan Miller (who had another awesome season in an era of higher goal scoring than today). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neal Broten has been known to say his brother Aaron deserved the Hobey....

speaking of Roseau boys.  There was a great quote from Butsy Erickson where he was interviewed (by someone obviously ignorant of Roseau) about making the NHL from a small town in “the States” and how special it must be to be the best hockey player from a small town. Butsy replied “best player from Roseau? I was the third best player on my block”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Neal Broten has been known to say his brother Aaron deserved the Hobey....

speaking of Roseau boys.  There was a great quote from Butsy Erickson where he was interviewed (by someone obviously ignorant of Roseau) about making the NHL from a small town in “the States” and how special it must be to be the best hockey player from a small town. Butsy replied “best player from Roseau? I was the third best player on my block”

"I'm not even the best player on my line."

-Ryan Duncan

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Brad doesn't think Guch is going to win. Whatever, Brad.

We will know based on how the photos are lined up. Plus ESPN asked us (the band) to stay after the BC game on 2007. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, Blackheart said:

Wow!  I had no idea on the shutouts .

I was at an MSU game against UMass the year that Miller won the Hobey.  I believe the score was 10-0 late in the 3rd and Miller gave up a goal.  He was immediately pulled so as to keep his precious GAA down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...