Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stoneySIOUX

CC @ UND -- 1/31 & 2/1

Recommended Posts

Let's get this going.

Big, big bounce back last Saturday in Duluth. We're 6 points up on Denver, playing CC who is desperate for points. 

I'm expecting Thome to start on Friday and dude absolutely earned it. 

We're coming down the stretch. Keep it rolling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope this spike in goals against and couple of lop-sided losses since the break has lit a fire under our guys' a$$e$ this week. CC has always been a gritty team and is often full of surprises, but knowing the measure of character and resiliency in our guys gives me resounding confidence for a sweep this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Really hope this spike in goals against and couple of lop-sided losses since the break has lit a fire under our guys' a$$e$ this week. CC has always been a gritty team and is often full of surprises, but knowing the measure of character and resiliency in our guys gives me resounding confidence for a sweep this weekend. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Wilkie and Halloran on the same line?   If so, put the hard line against them.  Shut down that line, and it makes it pretty tough on CC.   As he was near his home area last week, Michaud once again will have an extra focus, and expect him to be dialed in.  Of course, I'm sure CC would like nothing better than to give him an extra shot when possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable.

It will be unacceptable if they don't go straight time after two periods--both games.   UND HOckey:  Arse kickers with compassion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this team to maximize its potential, it's absolutely crucial to get Scheel back on track. He is the better goalie of the two. That'll have to wait though. Thome should get the start on Friday. If he's not lights out, go with Scheel Saturday. 

Being aware they are currently both #1 in the conference and in the pairwise, I still feel it's important they sweep this weekend. They need to start stringing wins together. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the off week next week.....and Denver the following week.....Scheel needs to start one game this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AJS said:

For this team to maximize its potential, it's absolutely crucial to get Scheel back on track. He is the better goalie of the two. That'll have to wait though. Thome should get the start on Friday. If he's not lights out, go with Scheel Saturday. 

Being aware they are currently both #1 in the conference and in the pairwise, I still feel it's important they sweep this weekend. They need to start stringing wins together. 

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tnt said:

Are Wilkie and Halloran on the same line?   If so, put the hard line against them.  Shut down that line, and it makes it pretty tough on CC.   As he was near his home area last week, Michaud once again will have an extra focus, and expect him to be dialed in.  Of course, I'm sure CC would like nothing better than to give him an extra shot when possible.  

Haviland’s been splitting them up. He did so most recently against Omaha. Haviland said in his post game interview on Saturday that the team is very fragile right now. He ain’t kidding; after blowing a first period 3-0 lead on Friday, they went out with a whimper on Saturday evening. 
 

Wilkie gets visibly irritated out there on the ice so UND can definitely get in his head if they limit his time and space. Third period against Omaha, down 3-1, Wilkie rings one off the crossbar and the puck goes out of play. Wilkie slams his stick against the end boards and the Omaha players chirped him pretty good. From then on, he was basically non-existent out there. 
 

As an aside, I saw Wilkie ring iron twice last weekend. I don’t recall any player who’s hit the post more times in his career than Wilkie. Ironically, he rang iron 3 times in a 3-1 loss at CC his sophomore season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

He’s got a shoot first mentality for sure. Ever since he arrived two seasons ago, Haviland has said he has an NHL caliber shot and the hardest shot on the team.

CC puts him on the off wing D so they can set him up for the big Ovechkin one-timer. Problem is, they go to that well so often, teams have scouted them and have adjusted their PK to that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

In 2014-15, Brock Boeser was the season high score for Waterloo in the USHL. Guess who was the season high scorer for  Tri-City that season?..... Chris Wilkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CC goalie Ryan Ruck has been hurt lately so Matt Vernon-Mike Vernon’s kid-has been starting every game as of late. You may recall Ruck was the goalie for Northeastern in the 2016 national tournament. We put up 6 on him that afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well said, Krusty. Well said.

Thanks for recognizing articulate speech when you don’t you see it.

.:blush:.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Need a sweep when at home against a team currently 39 in the pairwise. 

Be careful not to underestimate them because of PW.  They beat Mich St., Minn., swept Cloud on the road, and were respectable in 3 of 4 games against Denver and UMD.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

Do you mean in the conference? USCHO has him at 33rd in pts.  Nevermind... "Goal" scorer.  Helps to read the words :)

Edited by Fader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

As an aside, I saw Wilkie ring iron twice last weekend. I don’t recall any player who’s hit the post more times in his career than Wilkie. Ironically, he rang iron 3 times in a 3-1 loss at CC his sophomore season.  

I always figured guys who hit iron a lot are just good shooters 2” from a perfect shot, whereas shooting into numbers drives me crazy. 
I think Ovechkin lead the league in posts one year and I read that at one time Stamkos was the all time leader.
 

Or maybe they just shoot a lot, I dunno 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, krustyklown said:

Thanks for recognizing articulate speech when you don’t you see it.

.:blush:.

Hahahaha well played :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wondered if our sometime problem of not scoring goals is the consequence of emphasis of "defensive responsibility"...   Wilkie is sort of a poster child, flourishes when his creativity is sparked.  Not saying any issue with teaching the defensive side of being a forward as that will help every recruit continue their career at a higher level, just that some suffer a set back (mentally) and takes recovery time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...