Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
UND-FB-FAN

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

Recommended Posts

Knowing the head coach, does Holinka or Schwenzfeier get promoted and a new position coach hired?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tom Dosch

Former UND coach (‘93-‘03) and coached with Bubba at SIU from ‘08-‘09 as ILB coach. Certainly makes sense. 

Most recently was Northern State Head Coach.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Knowing the head coach, does Holinka get promoted and a new position coach hired?

I hope not.  I know Bubba has a lot going on personally right now but I’m hoping we don’t take the easy path.  I don’t feel anyone on staff is ready.  

If we are hitting the button, how about bringing back Marty Rogers.  Worked well with Bubba and was on what seems to be a solid staff at SIU.  Plus recruited very well.  

Still hope it’s posted and a competitive salary can be offered.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have just hired DeBoer when given the chance, but that is another discussion

Jim Glogowski D.C at Mankato?

Used to be the Coordinator at U of South Dakota and was a player there as well

Mankato was National Runner-up, opposing teams averaged 260 yards and 15 points per game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, homer said:

I hope not.  I know Bubba has a lot going on personally right now but I’m hoping we don’t take the easy path.  I don’t feel anyone on staff is ready.  

If we are hitting the button, how about bringing back Marty Rogers.  Worked well with Bubba and was on what seems to be a solid staff at SIU.  Plus recruited very well.  

Still hope it’s posted and a competitive salary can be offered.  

Man thinking about him and how when he left Jeremy Chinn went with him to SIU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our defense gave up an average of 28.5 points per game and 398 yards per game.  All respect to Schmidt, but should we really be that upset he is leaving? 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Should have just hired DeBoer when given the chance, but that is another discussion

Jim Glogowski D.C at Mankato?

Used to be the Coordinator at U of South Dakota and was a player there as well

Mankato was National Runner-up, opposing teams averaged 260 yards and 15 points per game

DeBoer would have probably been here and gone already......and that is a good thing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 On the bright side, no hard feelings now from anyone on staff when Danny eventually gets the head coaching job. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Our defense gave up an average of 28.5 points per game and 398 yards per game.  All respect to Schmidt, but should we really be that upset he is leaving? 

It's a fair question (the numbers don't lie, but they also never tell the whole story), but the challenges on the DL certainly hurt from a run-stopping perspective. The schemes can only cover for so much. I'm not about to blame Schmidt for all of that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they stick with a 3-4 with a new coordinator? If not, can the current roster accommodate it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Former UND coach (‘93-‘03) and coached with Bubba at SIU from ‘08-‘09 as ILB coach. Certainly makes sense. 

Most recently was Northern State Head Coach.

This isn't D2. He left a MVFC job to go to Jamestown College. That should say something right?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

This isn't D2. He left a MVFC job to go to Jamestown College. That should say something right?

He was a position coach at D2 UND before going to Jamestown as the HC.  He left Jamestown to go to SIU as position coach and later ST coordinator.  He left his MVFC job to be the HC at Northern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joey87 said:

He was a position coach at D2 UND before going to Jamestown as the HC.  He left Jamestown to go to SIU as position coach and later ST coordinator.  He left his MVFC job to be the HC at Northern.

Dont correct posters on this forum with facts. They don't like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joey87 said:

He was a position coach at D2 UND before going to Jamestown as the HC.  He left Jamestown to go to SIU as position coach and later ST coordinator.  He left his MVFC job to be the HC at Northern.

Ur right got it screwed up.  Now he is definitely qualified.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shep said:

Do they stick with a 3-4 with a new coordinator? If not, can the current roster accommodate it?

The 3-4 issue is really a good question.  They have known for awhile that Schmidt was leaving so I would think a replacement should be named quite soon.  My opinion - they will bring someone in from the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Ur right got it screwed up.  Now he is definitely qualified.  

I'd agree. Similar pedigree as our previous DC, with an added decade + of HC experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

 On the bright side, no hard feelings now from anyone on staff when Danny eventually gets the head coaching job. 

That could have been part of the impetus for Schmidt to take the opportunity.  Congrats to him.  He obviously does enough right things to earn that opportunity, but I for one think Schmidt had a few too many games where his defense wasn't up to snuff, so I am dearly hoping Bubba nails his DC pick out of the park and gets UND back to being a force of nature on D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joey87 said:

I'd agree. Similar pedigree as our previous DC, with an added decade + of HC experience.

If he won at Northern I would agree.  I’ll be disappointed if he is named DC. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That could have been part of the impetus for Schmidt to take the opportunity.  Congrats to him.  He obviously does enough right things to earn that opportunity, but I for one think Schmidt had a few too many games where his defense wasn't up to snuff, so I am dearly hoping Bubba nails his DC pick out of the park and gets UND back to being a force of nature on D.

don't get your hopes too high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

don't get your hopes too high

Part of this is to keep our expectations on here in check. I haven't the slightest idea who I would hire, however, I won't be surprised if it is an internal promotion with a hire of a new defensive assistant. As far as outside hires, I wouldn't be surprised by Dosch or someone else with familiarity to the staff. It is hard to hire someone to be a coordinator that doesn't have a relationship with the current staff. That being said, don't expect a splashy hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...