Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
bincitysioux

2020 Football Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my only problem with danny is he has been here thru muss and bubba and i think he has been in charge of the qb's and wr's and i would say those two positions are far far from being good...especially this qb roulette we have been doing...

He was WR coach. Our WR were/are good. Rudolph didn’t know what he was doing with QB’s. He ended Mollberg’s career early and never developed Studsrud or Bartels. Danny should do better. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

He was WR coach. Our WR were/are good. Rudolph didn’t know what he was doing with QB’s. He ended Mollberg’s career early and never developed Studsrud or Bartels. Danny should do better. 

once again...are we happy with "good" or do we want to get back to weston, danny graf, hardin, lueck?  we are what we thought we are...a very very average to good team...and some weeks....just plain bad and hard to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again...are we happy with "good" or do we want to get back to weston, danny graf, hardin, lueck?  we are what we thought we are...a very very average to good team...and some weeks....just plain bad and hard to watch.

Danny was on staff when we had the best wr group in the country. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Danny was on staff when we had the best wr group in the country. 

What could he have told good receivers without lying?  "Come to UND and you can run block all game, except for third and long when you can try to get open in double coverage"

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning FBS players dropdowns to solve our problems. Maybe maybe not

of course there is a reason the player is dropping down 

we have had some success 

I am concerned we have too many holes to plug with dropdowns

Something else isn’t working right to have to rely on fbs year in year out

mister obvious here but I have heard for the need for fbs every year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

What could he have told good receivers without lying?  "Come to UND and you can run block all game, except for third and long when you can try to get open in double coverage"

Come to UND and we can have 400 yards of passing at the half against Montana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

once again...are we happy with "good" or do we want to get back to weston, danny graf, hardin, lueck?  we are what we thought we are...a very very average to good team...and some weeks....just plain bad and hard to watch.

Weston was special. Wanzek was an excellent D1 receiver. Would have started on virtually every UND team. Maag is very good. Toivenen decent. Our receivers weren’t the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Danny was on staff when we had the best wr group in the country. 

ask coach shaw "what have you done for me lately"....

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Weston was special. Wanzek was an excellent D1 receiver. Would have started on virtually every UND team. Maag is very good. Toivenen decent. Our receivers weren’t the problem. 

maybe part of the problem about not being able to run the ball was the fact that none of our wr's needed any special over the top type of help...leaving more guys to stack the box....maybe they were the problem...if they weren't what is/was the problem that we went toe to toe with the likes of SUU and UNC and lost to a team that doesn't even have HPC 1.0 done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe part of the problem about not being able to run the ball was the fact that none of our wr's needed any special over the top type of help...leaving more guys to stack the box....maybe they were the problem...if they weren't what is/was the problem that we went toe to toe with the likes of SUU and UNC and lost to a team that doesn't even have HPC 1.0 done?

The problem was our OL sucked because our last coach was so lazy he neglected to recruit at a high level. Had to throw for every first down, all game.  Now they are digging themselves out of it and playing with average, small lineman.  

The validity of the above statement is undeniable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Concerning FBS players dropdowns to solve our problems. Maybe maybe not

of course there is a reason the player is dropping down 

we have had some success 

I am concerned we have too many holes to plug with dropdowns

Something else isn’t working right to have to rely on fbs year in year out

mister obvious here but I have heard for the need for fbs every year 

Can’t rely on FBS dropdowns, but can’t disregard it either. If a very good player at a position of need wants to move on to an FCS school, UND needs to consider. Plenty of variables to consider. 

UND needs to recruit better players to take the next step, especially at offensive line and running back, in my opinion. Quarterback as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so danny has/had no say in any of the recruits as qb/wr coach...all this is rudy's fault?..

The head coach is in charge. He tells Danny what he wants. Danny goes out and gets it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

The head coach is in charge. He tells Danny what he wants. Danny goes out and gets it. 

Not really but cool. You think Bubba tells his OC which QB to get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lotta hot takes from ignorant people lately. I guess if you repeat bull$%!# enough someone is bound to believe you.

Isn't that Adam Schiff's motto?  :blush:

I know I know....no politics.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Come to UND and we can have 400 yards of passing at the half against Montana.

You referring to a game when Muss was still coach and we had a different OC?

I asked what he should say without lying, but perhaps I should have said without lying OR misleading, because this hypothetical recruit just transferred after realizing he was mislead by coach.

If you were referring to last years game, UND had more rushing yards than passing yards (282 and 254, respectively).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You referring to a game when Muss was still coach and we had a different OC?

I asked what he should say without lying, but perhaps I should have said without lying OR misleading, because this hypothetical recruit just transferred after realizing he was mislead by coach.

If you were referring to last years game, UND had more rushing yards than passing yards (282 and 254, respectively).

 

I’m referring to 2012 when Danny was on staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lotta hot takes from ignorant people lately. I guess if you repeat bull$%!# enough someone is bound to believe you.

That sums up this entire forum in my opinion.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m referring to 2012 when Danny was on staff.

That's what I was thinking.  Freund was the running backs coach that season.  By the time he was our wr coach, we had an entirely new coaching staff and offensive philosophy.  I still really dont understand how you can knock the guy on his recruiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

That's what I was thinking.  Freund was the running backs coach that season.  By the time he was our wr coach, we had an entirely new coaching staff and offensive philosophy.  I still really dont understand how you can knock the guy on his recruiting.  

Who said I was knocking Danny?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Who said I was knocking Danny?

I think I may have quoted you by accident in my initial post (maybe instead of siouxfan97).  I did remember your post about receivers not being athletic enough, though, and then there was the post about what he could tell recruits, so my mistake if I misunderstood you.  

Perhaps the receivers didn't seem athletic enough, because some were running routes that didn't highlight their strengths?  (too many tall/slower guys)  Wasn't really a huge fan of Wanzek, Travis, and Maag as the top three starters, and feel like UND didn't have a traditional slot-type position (position, not player), so maybe something could be said about the depth chart or how our receivers are used.  Was Maag our slot receiver this year?  I think Griebel was on the depth chart behind him?  Kinda feel like Maag Should have been grouped in with Wanzek and Toivenen, and have Boltman and other more shifty guys with griebel/chochran.  Did all of our receivers run the same type of routes?  I just feel like Maag had a lot of long balls thrown to him, and Griebel would be more of a short pass type of route runner, kind of like Boltmann, so the reciever groupings seemed kind of odd to me all year.  Anyone have any insight on this, or what the philosophy is/was?  Maybe I'm just wrong in knowing what these guys strengths and weaknesses are.

This was the depth chart form the last game:
Wide Receiver 31 Noah Wanzek (6-4, 207, Sr.) 4 Brock Boltmann (6-2, 212, So.)
Wide Receiver 11 Travis Toivonen (6-4, 212, Sr.) 86 Alex Wilde (6-3, 210, Sr.)
Wide Receiver 89 Garett Maag (6-4, 206, So.) 13 Mikey Griebel (5-7, 177, So.)

This makes more sense to me:
Wide Receiver 31 Noah Wanzek (6-4, 207, Sr.) 89 Garett Maag (6-4, 206, So.)
Wide Receiver 11 Travis Toivonen (6-4, 212, Sr.) 89 Garett Maag (6-4, 206, So.) 86 Alex Wilde (6-3, 210, Sr.)
Wide Receiver 4 Brock Boltmann (6-2, 212, So.) 13 Mikey Griebel (5-7, 177, So.) OR  McKinney? Cochran?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see what the budget is for UND compared to other Missouri Valley and Big Sky schools in football. Also are we playing FBS programs to get enough money to compensate for needs in the budget but what does it do to the program when we get  banged up early in the football season with team that lacks depth in players. Another thing I see is elite teams like NDSU and James Madison that get these deep runs into playoffs and with this they get extra month practice with their full teams developing players for the next season. This extra practice time has got to be significant positive factor in developing players year in year out. I look at NDSU the past 8 years they have gotten 6 weeks longer  practice time than most of the other conference teams its like getting two Spring practice seasons every year. But getting back I would like to see the difference in programs on what is spent for football  between various schools. Then how each school has for facilities, how they travel, and what things they pick up for student athletes they can pay for the athletes. All these things I have mentioned above comes into play in recruiting and developing players for the program. Also another thing that has hurt UND is media attention it receives and since Fargo has seized control of media markets I have seen significant change in who is getting attention and information to the public. On sports front NDSU is center stage and all other sports in NOrth Dakota have received less attention or none. This reflects back on recruiting and donor support and fan support. All these things have had impact on building a program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...