SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

On 12/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

QB position is very important. Thus far, UND has Tommy Schuster and 1 high school recruit committed for 2020 roster. It is crucial Danny Freund brings in at least 1 FBS drop down, a JuCo standout, and maybe another high school recruit. 

I have faith Danny can coach ‘em up, but need the talent to start with. I say let’s get some FBS caliber guys.

my only problem with danny is he has been here thru muss and bubba and i think he has been in charge of the qb's and wr's and i would say those two positions are far far from being good...especially this qb roulette we have been doing...

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my only problem with danny is he has been here thru muss and bubba and i think he has been in charge of the qb's and wr's and i would say those two positions are far far from being good...especially this qb roulette we have been doing...

Neglecting the qb position in recruiting was not his idea.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, northernraider said:

No idea how accurate the information is but here is 24/7 sports transfer portal site.

Currently not a lot of QB's listed. One side note is NDSU QB Holden Hotchkiss is listed on the site. 

That's the 2019 list.  Here is the 2020 list.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

I like to keep it simple: coaching and the players. 

UND has the coaching it is going to have in 2020. 

That leads me to the players. UND needs QB recruits due to the importance of the position and the 2020 roster/depth chart (see my previous post).

As for the running game, a lot has been said about the linemen's weights. I think this is overstated. The players need to be better, regardless of their weight. They need to have the mindset of a successful lineman and together as a successful unit. I think Coach Pawlak can get UND to this point, but it remains to be seen. This may not be the most popular opinion, but I think UND needs new, better players at OL and running back. The new recruits coming in at OL look good.

WIKI RECRUITING FOR 2020:

OFFENSIVE CENTERS (1)

Peyton Lotysz, 6'3”, 265 Grand Forks (Red River), ND

OFFENSIVE GUARDS (2)

Andrew Fenton, 6'4“, 260, Menomonie (Menomonie), WI Had offers from Temple, WIU & USD

Bennett Weber, 6'5”, 275, Waconia (Waconia), MN (1 Star - 247)

OFFENSIVE TACKLES (1)

Easton Kilty, 6'5“, 270, Stratford (Stratford), WI Had DII offers

At OL, UND loses 1 starter, keeps 4, and has Matt Waletzko returning. That in itself is encouraging. But I do think a JuCo or FBS dropdown OL should be looked at. A difference maker with NFL potential would go a huge way for UND's running game, as it would for any team who acquires such talent. 

https://undfootball360.com/news/a-360-look-ahead-to-2020-season/

They lose senior center Patric Rooney but return four starters, plus Matt Waletzko, who did start but hurt his knee mid-year.  Waletzko is the best OL on the team and will be big to get back.  The other starters returning from right-to-left are Nate Nguon, who may move to center (which is better for him), Ryan Tobin, Kyle Hergel, and Donny Ventrelli.

As for RB, I understand Luke Skokna looked good and there are the incoming recruits of Creighton Mitchell (if UND can hang on to him with Iowa State and Iowa sniffing around) and Isaiah Smith, but I think UND needs a big-time back. Looking the FBS drop down or JuCO routes would be okay here too, in my opinion. 

In the end, I think it really comes down to the players (surprise, surprise). I think the young players will continue to get better, but for UND to take the next step, they need top notch QB play and a good to great running game (average running game won't cut it). For this to happen, I am hoping for FBS drop down or home run recruiting in QB, RB, and OL. I know there are a lot of different opinions regarding the FBS drop down route of player acquisition, but if the player can play and be a difference maker, UND has to pull the trigger.