SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

14 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I was a big fan of last years jerseys, but these are similar.  My only critique is that I'm not a huge fan of the numbers - they just seem kind of big.  Didn't UND get a custom number font with the new logo?  Is this it?  

Most people hated the custom numbers font. NASCAR style. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, gundy1124 said:

1.  Masks are very close to being totally worthless.   (Cloth masks, touching face and mask, not worn correctly, or dipsh_t policies like wearing a mask walking into a restaurant yet sitting down and eating) 

2.  The number of players that have already had it might surprise you.  Almost all were virtually symptom free. 

Conclusion- why would players really give a crap about catching a symptom free virus? (due to their health and age)

I agree - except they weren't all virtually symptom free.  UND had several get really sick for a period of time.  A couple that left campus and recovered at home

22 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

I agree - except they weren't all virtually symptom free.  UND had several get really sick for a period of time.  A couple that left campus and recovered at home

define really sick...so your saying  that a virus got into their immune system and they didn't feel 100% and they rested on campus or at home and got better.....

who would've thought...

34 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

define really sick...so your saying  that a virus got into their immune system and they didn't feel 100% and they rested on campus or at home and got better.....

who would've thought...

They are saying the players weren't all symptom free. That's all.

5 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

I wonder if they'll sell decent replicas of these that aren't just number 1. That's an area that's been lacking for a number of years now. I would think with Adidas it wouldn't be hard to get replica jerseys to sell (like hockey).

so your saying that AD hasn't fully realized that there is more than just hockey?....agreed...these jersey's are sharp and hopefully they sell a few (with or without personalization).

38 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Yeah I saw some of those, but I'm looking for a Youth L.  Additionally, I'd like something that is more based on the current uniforms and was hoping folks had seen things in a store or something that maybe isn't available online.  I don't mind it being #1, although through this search there are so many variation you can find of the team down south it makes me wish we could do the same.

8 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Yeah I saw some of those, but I'm looking for a Youth L.  Additionally, I'd like something that is more based on the current uniforms and was hoping folks had seen things in a store or something that maybe isn't available online.  I don't mind it being #1, although through this search there are so many variation you can find of the team down south it makes me wish we could do the same.

Yep

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, AJS said:

Mark me down as a huge fan of these. Full disclosure, I couldn't have hated the Grey jerseys anymore, so not seeing those was all I needed. I would prefer Green over Black slightly, but overall think they are sharp.

I liked the grey

I was honestly never that crazy about the green jerseys we had in our last uniform set.  When playing at home, I like us primarily wearing green top with the white pants.  I think these new Uniforms are pretty clean as others have mentioned, I thought the numbers were maybe a bit big at first but I'm sure after seeing them a few times I won't notice it.  Hopefully these fit better and they don't have to put their shoulder pads in after every play like it seems like we had to do with previous uni's. The new logo on the helmet and on both sides....MUCH better. 

New field....new unis...new logo on helmet.....put together I think it will be a good look for us.  Now just can't wait for some games! 

Totally agree about the replica uniforms, we need some replicas with the new/current versions.  I think these are nice enough where they will be around for a few years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I have some insight on this topic.  While on the game day committee I had a substantial commitment ($$) to make and give away free replica jerseys, kid sizes.  I had 5-6 key players picked out.  This was the year following the Hawk-erchiefs.(also donated funds, didn't cost the University anything).  So, I had the kid jerseys all mocked up and ready to go and enough funds for hundreds of jerseys.(close to 500)

The response was I could only do the number 1 and the last 2 digits of the year.  I think it was 2017, so #17 was OK.  The reason was an NCAA statute that a University cannot profit off of a name or 'likeness' to a player.  (apparently number 1 and 17 are not real players that year)  I know it is so stupid but when challenged I was told the University staff will take the laziest approach possible.  Saying "no" to football is easy and is zero risk to the University.  At that time I showed UND how many other colleges had player jerseys, with players that you could make a profit off of and UNDs response was they would report it to the NCAA.

But, the story continues............since I love rules I ordered a #22 for my fast daughter(Santiago), #5 for my strongest daughter(Brady), #92 for my boy that likes to run into things(Tank), and #45 for my boy named Kolt(Cam at that time).  I took all my kids to an autograph/meet the players and those players totally freaked out (in a good way), even wanting pictures on their own phones to show friends and family.  The players thought it was the coolest thing, saying "I've never seen a kid wear my jersey"!!  John and Brady spent 10 minutes with my girls.  Players were letting my 4 year old with Tank's jersey tackle them.

Interesting. And that's another good point - I'm sure that any player would love seeing kids wearing his number. Seems like a copout on the part of the university. I thought with hockey that you just couldn't do name and number together for active players, but I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The response was I could only do the number 1 and the last 2 digits of the year.  I think it was 2017, so #17 was OK.  The reason was an NCAA statute that a University cannot profit off of a name or 'likeness' to a player.  (apparently number 1 and 17 are not real players that year)  I know it is so stupid but when challenged I was told the University staff will take the laziest approach possible.  Saying "no" to football is easy and is zero risk to the University.  At that time I showed UND how many other colleges had player jerseys, with players that you could make a profit off of and UNDs response was they would report it to the NCAA.

There is some accuracy to their stance (at the time), however it continues to become more and more of a grey area. I believe in 2014/15 the O'Bannon vs. NCAA case put the scare in some people and my guess is they determined the benefit wasn't worth the potential cost. I would also argue that it isn't just a football thing. UND won't sell the "shirsey" of players until they graduate/leave school. They also don't sell hockey jersey's with any number, with the workaround people can put their own name/number on it, but even in that scenario, I believe they strictly enforce not putting any current players names on jerseys.

That being said, its time to expand a bit and give people some more options. It is clear it isn't being enforced at this time. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Not sure that's where I'd look to as it relates to following the rules as written....:whistling:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

... to make and give away free replica jerseys, kid sizes. The reason was an NCAA statute that a University cannot profit off of a name or 'likeness' to a player. 

Um ... if you donate the jerseys and they are given away, how did the University profit?

Is the claim that the "licensed jersey" is profit to the University?