SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

Since Bubba has been at the helm, I've always been optimistic going into the next season. Taking away stretches from the previous year, a couple what if player X didn't get hurt here and looking at returning players. I'm by far the most pessimistic I've been at the first glance into a next season. Taking a step back and looking at the season as a whole, I ask myself what was the 2019 UND team good at? They did have moments, but a very simplistic view of four areas Passing / Running / Stopping Pass / Stopping Run, is it fair to say that the only area they were above average in was Passing. They lose QB 1, WR 1, WR 3. What I worry about even more is you look at their biggest weakness, stopping the run and they lose their Top D-Lineman, Top ILB, Top Depth ILB, Starting OLB, Depth ILB (Hunt), Two-Deep OLB. Guys like Bennett and Rodgers (especially Rodgers) being almost impossible to replace. You can easily talk me into the D-line taking a huge step, but what about the LB unit? 

The biggest issue for me is consistency. How can we hang in the trenches against Weber and Montana State and get blown apart by ISU and Nicholls? I still can’t wrap my head around that. Our guys were capable and impressive when undermanned against a couple of the best OL/DL teams in the country and then against a really bad team and a good team that isn’t anywhere near Montana State and Weber we got bitch slapped. I have no idea where to point the finger on this one.

• Upvote 2

2019 record and conference standings of 2020 opponents (*Home Games)

*Valparaiso  -        1-11 (10th/last)

Kansas St.  -          8-4 (4th)

---------------------BYE---------------------------

Youngstown St  -  6-6 (8th)

*SDSU  -                 8-4 (3rd)

*Missouri St -        1-10 (9th)

W. Illinois  -            1-11 (10th/last)

Portland St.  -        5-7 (7th)

*South Dakota -      5-7 (6th)

Illinois St.  -            9-4 (5th)

NDSU  -                  12-0 (1st)

*S. Illinois  -            7-5 (4th)

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The biggest issue for me is consistency. How can we hang in the trenches against Weber and Montana State and get blown apart by ISU and Nicholls? I still can’t wrap my head around that. Our guys were capable and impressive when undermanned against a couple of the best OL/DL teams in the country and then against a really bad team and a good team that isn’t anywhere near Montana State and Weber we got bitch slapped. I have no idea where to point the finger on this one.

Absolutely, if I had one word to describe this team it would be inconsistent. Inconsistent in every single aspect, I was saying it all year how weird of a year this was. It's probably pretty natural to over emphasize the most recent game, my outlook would be different depending on which game was last. 

It all starts on the lines. They only lose two total players to graduation (1 Offense, 1 Defense), great players, but that's about as low of a number as you could hope for. It's reasonable to expect both areas of the line to greatly improve. It's a big talker, but I really hope they scrap the idea of the O-Line being at their current weight and add some pounds. Good news is it doesn't have to be anything drastic (and will be different per player). 

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

Absolutely, if I had one word to describe this team it would be inconsistent. Inconsistent in every single aspect, I was saying it all year how weird of a year this was. It's probably pretty natural to over emphasize the most recent game, my outlook would be different depending on which game was last. 

It all starts on the lines. They only lose two total players to graduation (1 Offense, 1 Defense), great players, but that's about as low of a number as you could hope for. It's reasonable to expect both areas of the line to greatly improve. It's a big talker, but I really hope they scrap the idea of the O-Line being at their current weight and add some pounds. Good news is it doesn't have to be anything drastic (and will be different per player). 

I’ve heard they’ll most likely be heavier next year with better weight than in the past. 

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

With Armacost, the new UND president, coming from Air Force does Freund have to add a couple triple option plays next season? :huh:

:D 

That would be cool, does Joe Protheroe have any eligibility left? I hear he is really good at football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

With Armacost, the new UND president, coming from Air Force does Freund have to add a couple triple option plays next season? :huh:

:D 

Heck ya, with Boltmann at QB.......Skokna and McKinney in backfield with McKinney as the option back.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Lets get rid of that god awful outdated 3-4 defense!!!

I don't know that you can just "get rid of it" after recruiting for it over the past several years.  Though next season seems to have better players on the DL than in the LB corps.

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't know that you can just "get rid of it" after recruiting for it over the past several years.  Though next season seems to have better players on the DL than in the LB corps.

With our D line this year I'm not sure how we recruited for it.

Now the Jacksonville dropped their program, I would like to see UND back out of their h/h with Portland State and work on a deal with Dartmouth.  I know... unlikely, but the return game is 5 years out from next years game, and our bye week for next year is after only the second game of the season.
UND at Portland State – October 24, 2020
PSU at North Dakota – September 6, 2025

Jacksonville was scheduled to play at Dartmouth next year on Sept 19th.

UND schedules https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-dakota/
Dartmouth schedules https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/dartmouth/

Not sure what the buyout is, but it would be nice to be able to move the buy week back and put a new/better program on the schedule.  It looks like a home game vs Dartmouth still wouldn't be until 2025, though.

This has like 0.000000000001 percent chance of happening, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

50% chance Portland State buys out their return trip for an FBS game.  Hope the buyout number is huge.

Just now, Nodak78 said:

The end of season video conference Freund mentioned Boltman was going to do more throwing next year.

My guess we will have a transfer plus.  Neal? Maybe another one.

I think we're looking at some FBS dropdowns in the portal, and my understanding is we are likely to bring in a PWO QB as well.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, nodak651 said:

Now the Jacksonville dropped their program, I would like to see UND back out of their h/h with Portland State and work on a deal with Dartmouth.  I know... unlikely, but the return game is 5 years out from next years game, and our bye week for next year is after only the second game of the season.
UND at Portland State – October 24, 2020
PSU at North Dakota – September 6, 2025

Jacksonville was scheduled to play at Dartmouth next year on Sept 19th.

UND schedules https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-dakota/
Dartmouth schedules https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/dartmouth/

Not sure what the buyout is, but it would be nice to be able to move the buy week back and put a new/better program on the schedule.  It looks like a home game vs Dartmouth still wouldn't be until 2025, though.

This has like 0.000000000001 percent chance of happening, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

50% chance Portland State buys out their return trip for an FBS game.  Hope the buyout number is huge.

dartmouth? where is this coming from

28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

dartmouth? where is this coming from

A desire to not play a non conf game at a baseball stadium during what should be our bye week.  And it's wishful thinking to have a home game vs. an Ivy League team.  Dartmouth is going to have to scramble to find a team to play instead of Jacksonville so I looked at our schedule.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020-21 Football Season