SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

12 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Higher ceiling rhetoric is bs.  That's how better players end up sitting on the bench IMO.  If we have a guy who is better on the bench now, what do we do if the guy with the "higher ceiling" is playing poorly through the first half of the season?  Would he still really have the higher ceiling?  Great way to create a QB controversy I'd think.

In most situations, I would agree.

This situation has a few wrinkles though. 1) Position - One of the few positions where players aren't routinely substituted. 2) Class: Both being Freshman (one RS). 

My comment was based on a pretty specific scenario playing out. I'm biased as I do like Schuster and who knows he could be it, but I like many are waiting for UND to finally "hit" on a QB. Not average or solid, but a Top Tier guy in the league. 

46 minutes ago, AJS said:

In most situations, I would agree.

This situation has a few wrinkles though. 1) Position - One of the few positions where players aren't routinely substituted. 2) Class: Both being Freshman (one RS). 

My comment was based on a pretty specific scenario playing out. I'm biased as I do like Schuster and who knows he could be it, but I like many are waiting for UND to finally "hit" on a QB. Not average or solid, but a Top Tier guy in the league. 

Agree with you there.  I didn't intend to sound combative or terse.  It's just so hard to speculate with so little film and reporting on these guys, and that's why I responded to the higher ceiling comment.  For example, and this may or may not be the case in this situation, but just because a guy may be bigger and have a stronger arm, I wouldn't necessarily think that it means that guy has a higher ceiling than someone like Tommy.  I want the smartest QB to play, someone who can scan the field quickly, elude rushers/blitzes, and can quickly get the passes off relatively accurately.  Most of what I mentioned can't really be taught - it's more instinctual, and I think these traits fit with Freunds philosophy best.  I haven't seen enough film yet on either to say who I think is currently better or has the better potential, but I feel like I remember thinking that Vaughn didn't seem as mobile as advertised, while watching his film almost a year ago now.  

Edit:  With Valpo being the first game of the season, I would also like to see them split reps.  They both will probably end up playing this year regardless, and it would be good for the backup to have at least some game experience.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Agree with you there.  I didn't intend to sound combative or terse.  It's just so hard to speculate with so little film and reporting on these guys, and that's why I responded to the higher ceiling comment.  For example, and this may or may not be the case in this situation, but just because a guy may be bigger and have a stronger arm, I wouldn't necessarily think that it means that guy has a higher ceiling than someone like Tommy.  I want the smartest QB to play, someone who can scan the field quickly, elude rushers/blitzes, and can quickly get the passes off relatively accurately.  Most of what I mentioned can't really be taught - it's more instinctual, and I think these traits fit with Freunds philosophy best.  I haven't seen enough film yet on either to say who I think is currently better or has the better potential, but I feel like I remember thinking that Vaughn didn't seem as mobile as advertised, while watching his film almost a year ago now.  

Edit:  With Valpo being the first game of the season, I would also like to see them split reps.  They both will probably end up playing this year regardless, and it would be good for the backup to have at least some game experience.

I think they see Vaughn as their hope as their version of Trey Lance or Jbore Gibbs. A big athletic game breaker type. Obviously not knowing what he can do at game speed.  I too like what I saw from Schuster. One more year in the system. Here’s to hoping that one of those guys can take a step!!

8 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

I think they see Vaughn as their hope as their version of Trey Lance or Jbore Gibbs. A big athletic game breaker type. Obviously not knowing what he can do at game speed.  I too like what I saw from Schuster. One more year in the system. Here’s to hoping that one of those guys can take a step!!

He doesn’t run like that. Reid Neal is a much better runner.

I really wish one of you guys would make a weekly fan podcast like like Idaho's Tubs at the Club, Montana States's RR Podcast, EWU's Eagle Power Hour, or Montana's Griz Podcast.

Any day now would be nice!  The lack of any streamable UND Sports Talk is really annoying.  And I don't think Hennessy's morning show is streamed anywhere is it?  Am I missing anything that we can listen to?  I've had enough of Bill Chaves soccer podcast...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I really wish one of you guys would make a weekly fan podcast like like Idaho's Tubs at the Club, Montana States's RR Podcast, EWU's Eagle Power Hour, or Montana's Griz Podcast.

Any day now would be nice!  The lack of any streamable UND Sports Talk is really annoying.  And I don't think Hennessy's morning show is streamed anywhere is it?  Am I missing anything that we can listen to?  

360 guys would be good for that.  I really like their analysis during the season.  Would even like to hear Tom and Brad podcast on the season updates.

10 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

360 guys would be good for that.  I really like their analysis during the season.  Would even like to hear Tom and Brad podcast on the season updates.

Didn't Tom and Brad each start a podcast last year?  Feel like they both stopped after a handful of episodes.  

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Any day now would be nice!  The lack of any streamable UND Sports Talk is really annoying.  And I don't think Hennessy's morning show is streamed anywhere is it?  Am I missing anything that we can listen to?  I've had enough of Bill Chaves soccer podcast...

I would love to start one but as others have said this has 360 guys written all over it. 

So will fall camp be longer this year since spring ball was cut short? I’m sure there might be some teams who never even started spring ball. 

If this would have happened 5 years ago I don’t think we would have even started spring ball since we usually started later due to being outside. 

So Kevin Thomson leaves Sac St, any chance UND would go after him to give their youth a year in the system? Not sure we would even have a shot, or if he is hoping for a bigger school or what.

Seems like it would make sense to try to get that experienced QB though.

Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So Kevin Thomson leaves Sac St, any chance UND would go after him to give their youth a year in the system? Not sure we would even have a shot, or if he is hoping for a bigger school or what.

Thoughts?

Guessing he is looking to go FBS.  

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Thoughts?

I don’t want a watered down offense because our qbs are so raw. No excuses. Plan ahead!

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t want a watered down offense because our qbs are so raw. No excuses. Plan ahead!

The situation is less than ideal this year, very bad planning.  Thankfully we can already see a change and priority in the QB recruiting now that Danny is in and Rudy out, thank god. 

I think since Schuster had a year in the system and actually saw some action, if he ends up being the starter.....I don't think Danny will hold him back, which is why I think he will likely get the nod.   It's too bad we didn't get a full spring practice this year......really could have used that with all of the QB's being young. 

UND’s young quarterbacks will have to grow up in a hurry based on the roster. No upperclassmen in the QB room and limited reps due to the pandemic. 

There will certainly be some growing pains this season. Heck, even with senior Ketteringham in 2019 there were issues. As mentioned previously, the best thing UND can do is strengthen their offensive line and running game in order to move forward offensively.

Of course, it'll take more than 2 Games to get acclimated to college football, but from a Win / Loss perspective, the schedule is pretty ideal for the QB to get his feet wet. From a % chance, those are the two most "sure" games on the schedule. Start with the easiest and go right into the hardest. Then a Bye week to really process the first two weeks.