SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Do we know that the stadiums will be empty?

Seems almost inevitable at this point. Even if the stadiums do open to the public, which I highly doubt they will, I think a lot of fans will be staying away ... at least at first.

5 minutes ago, SiouxForeverandEver said:

A und volleyball player using a racial slur. On video. Seems that it was brought to Chaves attention and he didn’t do anything about it months ago. 

Let's be accurate. Singing lyrics to a song that was playing in the car. Does it make a difference? Yes. And its not the vb girl in the ad who was recorded. She was in the car. UND needs to clarify who said what. There's two girls in the ad. One was in the car. One did nothing and is not involved. Can you say slander?

3 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Let's be accurate. Singing lyrics to a song that was playing in the car. Does it make a difference? Yes. And its not the vb girl in the ad who was recorded. She was in the car. UND needs to clarify who said what. There's two girls in the ad. One was in the car. One did nothing and is not involved. Can you say slander?

The other one did do something by being in that video. You can hear her laughing, this is not a laughing matter. Also on twitter there are screen shots of her using this racial slur in various different ways...

4 minutes ago, SiouxForeverandEver said:

The other one did do something by being in that video. You can hear her laughing, this is not a laughing matter. Also on twitter there are screen shots of her using this racial slur in various different ways...

So. Would it be ok if they just listened to the lyrics? What about lip syncing? And what about the girl who is in no way involved. Should there be clarification?

9 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

So. Would it be ok if they just listened to the lyrics? What about lip syncing? And what about the girl who is in no way involved. Should there be clarification?

Yes it would be okay if they just listened to the lyrics, this was not the case. Do it in private if these two find joy in such a discriminating word. They should not put this out for the world to see. Personally, this made not only them look bad, but the whole university look bad. This other girl is involved with how she states they would say this word before bed. “Weird and random but funny” this other girls exact words. Seems odd.

6 minutes ago, SiouxForeverandEver said:

Yes it would be okay if they just listened to the lyrics, this was not the case. Do it in private if these two find joy in such a discriminating word. They should not put this out for the world to see. Personally, this made not only them look bad, but the whole university look bad. This other girl is involved with how she states they would say this word before bed. “Weird and random but funny” this other girls exact words. Seems odd.

There are two girls in the ticket ad. One is in no way associated with the recording. To say otherwise is a lie. 

3 hours ago, SiouxForeverandEver said:

A und volleyball player using a racial slur. On video. Seems that it was brought to Chaves attention and he didn’t do anything about it months ago. 

Seems like you don't actually know that "he didn't do anything about it".

However using that individual in a marketing ad was a mistake, one that was immediately admitted by UND. 

I haven't seen the video, but is that really the line we are going to draw? It is okay for someone to listen to lyrics, but not sing with them because of a word? Its not like he went on a profanity laced rant of his own to put down or degrade anyone; at least that is not what I am getting from what has been said here.

To that point I've probably said some words I haven't when I was younger and blasting some Dr. Dre, Jay-Z or Snoop in my car. Is it because I had any sort of context for the words I was using, No ... it was because there was a catchy song on the radio and I was singing to it like any other song.

The posting crap on social media is a whole other issue in itself. Whether it is offensive or not, I do not understand why we have raised children to think that every second of there life needs to be public. I like to share some things online as well, sports posts, funny videos, pictures of family events on facebook with my friends ... but kids think ever single second of their lives deserves a post, tweet, vine or tik tok (whatever that is) and they find it all inconsequential. Not realizing that they end of making themselves often look like idiots and often post stuff that is only going to reflect poorly on them, now or in the future.

Now I could be a little off base with this, given that I did not actually see the video, but I think the point still stands.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seems almost inevitable at this point. Even if the stadiums do open to the public, which I highly doubt they will, I think a lot of fans will be staying away ... at least at first.

Does it though? All across America I am seeing mass gatherings with no social distancing. The medical experts have not spoken against it. Weird.

32 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Does it though? All across America I am seeing mass gatherings with no social distancing. The medical experts have not spoken against it. Weird.

Medical doctors are saying that the best thing for HEALTHY people is to be out and about and exposing themselves to the virus in order to build up an immunity to it.  Obviously, this does not apply to people that are vulnerable healthwise.  And that's how society builds up an immunity to the virus.

I'm confused, so was she singing the whole song and that's the only part of that was clipped out, or was she specifically using that word on camera because she thought it was funny? Given the other snapchats that her and her friends would make up different versions of the word for fun every night, it seems like pure ignorance and should definitely be addressed.

This is a prime example of youth and stupidity. I don't know this gal and have no clue what kind of person she is. Is she actually racist? Is she just ignorant and that unaware of her words in today's world? No clue! But make her address it. Stand her up in front of all of her athletes and peers and state what she did, why she did it, and actually apologize for it. Maybe that will get the point across to her, and everyone around her that it wasn't funny, and should be taken a little more seriously.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

it seems like pure ignorance and should definitely be addressed.

It was addressed with the student-athlete when it happened. It is only coming up again because the individual involved ended up on a promotional poster and shouldn't have and that was called out by a footall player. The athletic department admitted fault in the decision (regardless of how it was made), including the athletic director taking full responsibility even though he probably wasn't responsible. No one tried to hide the mistake that was made and no excuses were made.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It was addressed with the student-athlete when it happened. It is only coming up again because the individual involved ended up on a promotional poster and shouldn't have and that was called out by a footall player. The athletic department admitted fault in the decision (regardless of how it was made), including the athletic director taking full responsibility. No one tried to hide the mistake that was made.

ahh I see, then it seems like this should be over and done with. I saw the Chaves apology, so can this be over any done with? Not sure what is left to be said, or what more is needed at this point.