SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is that what one bulging disk said to another? ;) 

You’re a smart guy. Go ahead and peruse the mountain of research in favor of actually lifting the weight instead of strapping one's self into a machine that does the stabilizing work for you. And for bulging disks? The number one culprit there would be the fancy leg press machine that people love to load up with weight to impress gym goers as it puts ungodly amounts of pressure on the discs of your lumbar.

The Director of Human Performance at Nike uses the hex bar deadlift to help Olympic level athletes - from sprinters to marathon runners- to increase their speed. 

Finally, got back pain? Most likely it’s because your back is stiff and weak. 

I understand what you're saying.
But when I see that concave lumbar region taking load and then straightening it makes me cringe. (Don't tell me that's not a lot of lumbar pressure.) 

However, I can see how that shape of bar would be better than a straight bar as the weight is not in front of you but more aligned with the ball-and-socket joint of the hips. 

All that said, I'm staying with the machine. It works for me (and my sciatic nerve issues). 

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I understand what you're saying.
But when I see that concave lumbar region taking load and then straightening it makes me cringe. (Don't tell me that's not a lot of lumbar pressure.) 

However, I can see how that shape of bar would be better than a straight bar as the weight is not in front of you but more aligned with the ball-and-socket joint of the hips. 

All that said, I'm staying with the machine. It works for me (and my sciatic nerve issues). 

Technically the weight should never be out in front of you. That’s bad form in every lift. It should always be lined up with the center of the foot. With proper ankle and hip mobility this isn’t an issue.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< cringing >

I know the Lifting Police will jump all over me, but I'd rather see legs done on a machine where the spine is supported and it's just legs.  

Machines have only two roles by today's standards. Rehabilitation of a specific muscle and bodybuilding and the second one his highly debatable.

Functional movement has been the en vogue training style for a couple of decades and free weights and body weight movements are king when it comes to function.

This kid's form is perfect in the video, excellent lift.

Chest up, butt back, weight on heels. Excellent form for a freshman, he definitely was involved in a serious lifting program prior to UND.

• Upvote 3

As I watch the video again, I'm even more impressed with your S&C program. If you watch in the background you'll see two athletes working on the beginning phase of the best full body lift ever invented in my opinion, the Turkish Getup using the Kettlebell. 

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

As I watch the video again, I'm even more impressed with your S&C program. If you watch in the background you'll see two athletes working on the beginning phase of the best full body lift ever invented in my opinion, the Turkish Getup using the Kettlebell. 

BuT BaUkOl DoEsNt KnOw WhAt HeS DoInG aNd OuR PlAyErS GeT WeAkeR iN hIs PrOgRaM

29 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The specifically list Jalen Morrison as a defensive end rather than just defensive line like the rest of them.  Misprint?

Also too bad that we weren't able to redshirt Caleb Nelson.  I didn't realize we played him more than 4 games.

Assuming the weights are accurate, looks like we beefed up on both lines, although we still don't have that 300+ pound NG.  The size of our DEs has gotten quite a bit better, though.  Still need to get them all over 250 though IMO.

Couple initial thoughts:

• Transfers and Other Exits: You have to be happy with the initial list, many who we already either knew or figured. Things will change from Spring Ball to Fall Ball, but so far so good.
  • Beefed Up Lines: If accurate, this is very exciting. They are so far ahead of where I'd thought they'd be. In general, is it fair to say that they are around where you hoped they'd be come Fall? Or at least close enough where you won't need anything drastic between now and Fall? 
    • NG for example, you have 280 / 280 / 270 currently. Add 5 to 10 on each and you're really close. 

Encouraging article to read. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I don't get the warm fuzzies looking at the roster.  Reading the puff piece helps a little, but I am a little worried at this point.  We need a bunch of good things to go our way this spring into fall camp.

1. need a Stud QB to emerge

2. Will Otis be eligible?  That would help a lot at RB.  Small and quick, potential game breakers.......but most teams have game breakers at RB.

3. At D-line.  Is bigger big enough?  A lot of unknowns, but some should break in a good way.

4. Excited about Ventrelli at 300 lbs, super athletic out of High School.  Can Hergel, Tobin, Nguon, Waletzko make us pretty tough up front?

5. Can Krzanowski make the jump and be productive at LB?  We have an interesting mix of old and new at LB.  Rastas bulked up to 2010 with a 5lb weight in his drawers.  Geier is off the roster, what a disappointment he was.

6. Corners look to be salty

7.  Hopefully the new kid helps at Safety, Wilcoxen.  Koshiol runs well, too.

8. WR - we look pretty bad or should I say thin here.  Maag......Brockstar..........................Cochran.........then pretty much crickets after that.  Tough to run 4 wide with 2.5 proven wide-outs.

9. TE's suffered the Rudy Hangover last year.  I know we are high on Riviere.

Super Stud Game Changers - Maybe Jaxon Turner, Evan Holm

I just don't see the high end game changers.....  We'll see what Spring Ball looks like!!

33 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't get the warm fuzzies looking at the roster.  Reading the puff piece helps a little, but I am a little worried at this point.  We need a bunch of good things to go our way this spring into fall camp.

1. need a Stud QB to emerge

2. Will Otis be eligible?  That would help a lot at RB.  Small and quick, potential game breakers.......but most teams have game breakers at RB.

3. At D-line.  Is bigger big enough?  A lot of unknowns, but some should break in a good way.

4. Excited about Ventrelli at 300 lbs, super athletic out of High School.  Can Hergel, Tobin, Nguon, Waletzko make us pretty tough up front?

5. Can Krzanowski make the jump and be productive at LB?  We have an interesting mix of old and new at LB.  Rastas bulked up to 2010 with a 5lb weight in his drawers.  Geier is off the roster, what a disappointment he was.

6. Corners look to be salty

7.  Hopefully the new kid helps at Safety, Wilcoxen.  Koshiol runs well, too.

8. WR - we look pretty bad or should I say thin here.  Maag......Brockstar..........................Cochran.........then pretty much crickets after that.  Tough to run 4 wide with 2.5 proven wide-outs.

9. TE's suffered the Rudy Hangover last year.  I know we are high on Riviere.

Super Stud Game Changers - Maybe Jaxon Turner, Evan Holm

I just don't see the high end game changers.....  We'll see what Spring Ball looks like!!

I completely agree with you. I think our transition into the valley will be very until and tough to tell where we sit until we play the games. I do feel that those bottom end Valley teams and very poor, where last season we didnt have many "incredibly bad" teams on the schedule. Ya ya I get it the top end Valley teams are good, but take the Bison out of there and it's a slightly above average conference. I think WR will be fine. Maeg is a legit NFL. Cochran will be a legit shifty dude we have been missing in the past. Watch for Zavalney to step up be that missing piece. 360 guys like him and they have intel we don't. That with the 4-game freshman rule and we will be fine. I do agree with you though. All in all, we aren't very deep.

41 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I completely agree with you. I think our transition into the valley will be very until and tough to tell where we sit until we play the games. I do feel that those bottom end Valley teams and very poor, where last season we didnt have many "incredibly bad" teams on the schedule. Ya ya I get it the top end Valley teams are good, but take the Bison out of there and it's a slightly above average conference. I think WR will be fine. Maeg is a legit NFL. Cochran will be a legit shifty dude we have been missing in the past. Watch for Zavalney to step up be that missing piece. 360 guys like him and they have intel we don't. That with the 4-game freshman rule and we will be fine. I do agree with you though. All in all, we aren't very deep.

I hope to see Odom blossem at wr. He had good film in HS at that position.

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I hope to see Odom blossem at wr. He had good film in HS at that position.

I see Burian as a sleeper at WR. (Call him a poor man's Wanzek.) 

Lennon is at DE. He's a big body and solid BB player (hands). Why not at TE? Or is that because the kid from Mandan is the future TE?