Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
bincitysioux

2020 Football Season

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

I couldn't agree more. Similar situation with my frustration with the Football bidding process. Make it easy for people to donate and publicize it. Every 6 months I would have some sort of "Flash" fundraising effort for Phase II. Have a link, promote it and see how you do for a week. It would be a good reminder and get people talking. It wouldn't be much, but I would absolutely give every time if they made it that easy. 

Great comments... we ARE talking public money here. Yes, donations too but this is public property.... should be transparent, I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure who they is .... fans? star athletes? gfhockey? Someone will come!

Who else is there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riverhawk said:

I just don't understand why everything is so hush hush.  Really, if you are looking for funding, wouldn't you want people to know where the project is funding wise.  What if all they need is $5 million and rich farmer Joe is sitting out in Western ND looking for something to fund.  Let's get it out in the open and get it done.  Who is running the show?  Give me the name of one person who knows the answers because whoever it is, they are doing a crappy job of selling it.

$30 million is a ton of money.   Even if you have 4-5 people ante up $500,000 (and that is a lot of $), you are still less than 10% of what is needed.  They are working hard to get a major donor to step up with an amount that will really get people excited.  Hopefully, that will be soon.   That is when an announcement will be made.

There will be many announcements before "all they need is $5 million". 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If memorial is bulldozed and UND football is in the Hyslop, they will need phase two to be built before the Hyslop/Stem renovation is started, correct?  I feel like now they will be in a much better position to get public funding for this, if that is correct.  Now Phase II money is really money for academics... or at least it could be argued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Riverhawk said:

I just don't understand why everything is so hush hush.  Really, if you are looking for funding, wouldn't you want people to know where the project is funding wise.  What if all they need is $5 million and rich farmer Joe is sitting out in Western ND looking for something to fund.  Let's get it out in the open and get it done.  Who is running the show?  Give me the name of one person who knows the answers because whoever it is, they are doing a crappy job of selling it.

I would disagree. First of all, Chaves and Steve Brekke were meeting with potential donors regularly before Steve left. They have a thorough understanding of what is needed and have a comprehensive plan for what UND needs to do to properly upgrade facilities. They did a great presentation and also presented multiple options for donations to athletics and other aspects of the University. 2 months ago I don’t believe they have identified a major donor and we have a challenge ahead of us.  If anyone knows someone who they haven’t reached yet contact that person and let them know we have a great opportunity for them and have them contact Chaves or contact Chaves and give him the info. We will get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If anyone knows someone who they haven’t reached yet contact that person and let them know we have a great opportunity for them and have them contact Chaves or contact Chaves and give him the info. We will get there"

Sounds like an Amway pitch, but ya hopefully some donors are named soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, northernraider said:

"If anyone knows someone who they haven’t reached yet contact that person and let them know we have a great opportunity for them and have them contact Chaves or contact Chaves and give him the info. We will get there"

Sounds like an Amway pitch, but ya hopefully some donors are named soon. 

You have to realize I defer to the experts. They always know someone and “they should be contacted “. Then make it happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who gets their redshirt pulled?

Quincy Vaughn?

Creighton Mitchell?

Marcus Preston or Jack Wright?

Someone else?

Obviously, this is all based on speculation, but at this point of the year it is something, football related, to talk about.

Personally, I'm really excited to see Creighton Mitchell. Sounds like he has some serious speed, and hopefully the O Line can make some room for him. Hoping Vaughn can impress too. I'm sure there are some others. Just interested to hear what everyone thinks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So who gets their redshirt pulled?

Quincy Vaughn?

Creighton Mitchell?

Marcus Preston or Jack Wright?

Someone else?

Obviously, this is all based on speculation, but at this point of the year it is something, football related, to talk about.

Personally, I'm really excited to see Creighton Mitchell. Sounds like he has some serious speed, and hopefully the O Line can make some room for him. Hoping Vaughn can impress too. I'm sure there are some others. Just interested to hear what everyone thinks...

I agree with this. In my opinion, Vaughn and Mitchell have the best chance offensively to get their shirts pulled, due to those being two spots we are somewhat lacking depth. The only thing with Mitchell is he may be very similar Skokna, which isn't a bad thing, but would allow the staff to keep him at or under 4 games. I don't see any wide receivers having their shirts pulled. They were able to keep Cochran and Zavalney another year by not red shirting them and I believe they will end up playing a good amount with Maag and Boltman next season. 

Defensively, I would say Agyekum has a decent shot to not redshirt. His hips are quick enough to play D1 football already and well you can never have enough DBs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

So who gets their redshirt pulled?

Quincy Vaughn?

Creighton Mitchell?

Marcus Preston or Jack Wright?

Someone else?

Obviously, this is all based on speculation, but at this point of the year it is something, football related, to talk about.

Personally, I'm really excited to see Creighton Mitchell. Sounds like he has some serious speed, and hopefully the O Line can make some room for him. Hoping Vaughn can impress too. I'm sure there are some others. Just interested to hear what everyone thinks...

As much as I want it to be Vaughn, I want him to have year in the college system watching and learning from practices and games.  the Valley is a beast and I think it would be beneficial to learn the system for a year before being tossed to the wolves that is the MVFC. As far as everyone else mentioned, if they prove they can play after 4 games, let them play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody should make a 2 deep projection chart.  We should be as good as we've ever been a 2 deep CB with Holm coming back this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone see Orlando getting his shirt pulled? Or maybe they're still looking for a drop down NG. 265 lbs seems light for a 3-4 defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Does anyone see Orlando getting his shirt pulled? Or maybe they're still looking for a drop down NG. 265 lbs seems light for a 3-4 defense.

Who knows? I also doubt he’ll still be that light when the season rolls around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Who knows? I also doubt he’ll still be that light when the season rolls around.

Watched him wrestle tonight. Our heavyweight is 255 ranked #2 in AAA and he not only handled our guy fairly easily he made him look small. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Does anyone see Orlando getting his shirt pulled? Or maybe they're still looking for a drop down NG. 265 lbs seems light for a 3-4 defense.

I think that kid is going to be a monster, but I hope some of the other guys step up and we only play him 4 games next year.  Would love for him to play 4 solid years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any update on weah’s status?

In school and working to get on the field next fall. Needs to keep his head in the books but solid chance to be back. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In school and working to get on the field next fall. Needs to keep his head in the books but solid chance to be back. 

Great news! Thanks

would love to see him succeed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Great news! Thanks

would love to see him succeed 

Definitely, would be a win win.  WIn for him to get a degree and we'd certainly love to have him on the field next year.  Books and school aren't always for everyone, but hopefully he can get his degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So next year we will kind of be Scatback U, Skokna, Weah (hopefully), and Mitchell.  Hopefully we can find a Brady type recruit again sometime soon.  Gee will obviously be in the mix next year too, but he's definitely not a power runner.  Weah does have some power for being smaller.  Would be nice to have one big back, but I think the RB's we do have can be pretty successful in Danny's offense.

Any word on if the abandoned the strategy of having lighter offensive lineman?  I hope those guys are putting some weight back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, Sioux94 said:

So next year we will kind of be Scatback U, Skokna, Weah (hopefully), and Mitchell.  Hopefully we can find a Brady type recruit again sometime soon.  Gee will obviously be in the mix next year too, but he's definitely not a power runner.  Weah does have some power for being smaller.  Would be nice to have one big back, but I think the RB's we do have can be pretty successful in Danny's offense.

Any word on if the abandoned the strategy of having lighter offensive lineman?  I hope those guys are putting some weight back on.

Weah at 195, and being only 5-8, has gotta have some surprising power I'd think. 

As far as QB's go, I really hope they have the QB1 only play half of the Valpo game.  If Tommy is QB1, it would be great for a guy like Vaugn to get game experience, either for the future, or if Tommy gets hurt at any point in the season.  Same for if Vaugn is QB1, Tommy still needs more experience in case Vaugn were to go down.  If the battle is tight between QB2 and QB3, let them each play a quarter.  Our QB depth needs experience, and Valpo sucks.  If the game is still close after half, the starter should be benched anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Weah at 195, and being only 5-8, has gotta have some surprising power I'd think. 

As far as QB's go, I really hope they have the QB1 only play half of the Valpo game.  If Tommy is QB1, it would be great for a guy like Vaugn to get game experience, either for the future, or if Tommy gets hurt at any point in the season.  Same for if Vaugn is QB1, Tommy still needs more experience in case Vaugn were to go down.  If the battle is tight between QB2 and QB3, let them each play a quarter.  Our QB depth needs experience, and Valpo sucks.  If the game is still close after half, the starter should be benched anyways.

I think getting our QB1 experience should be the first goal. Outside of Schuster for a bit last year, none of these guys have played any college football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southpaw said:

I think getting our QB1 experience should be the first goal. Outside of Schuster for a bit last year, none of these guys have played any college football.

That's the thing, its not like Schuster is way ahead of the new guys. Very limited game time experience, but has certainly been around the program longer, which shouldn't be discounted.

I think it will be a wide open battle, and I don't care about pulling redshirts, as long as the guy is ready and is actually going to be utilized.

Definitely excited to see what they can put together, especially as a fairly young team in some key areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...