Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bincitysioux

Nicholls St., Round 1

Recommended Posts

Did Chaves go "toe-to-toe" with the other athletic directors?

It's quite apparent that the fans on this board are more than happy with putting in a satisfactory, competitive bid and not going all out to win.  

There was ONE CHANCE to get a home game this year and he screwed it up.  That's undeniable.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to derail this thread into a nickname debate, but this is why retiring the nickname was absolutely the correct thing to do.  We wouldn't even be having a discussion about submitting bids for playoffs games.  Had we kept the Sioux name, we would never EVER host a home playoff game.  Even if we were the #1 seed.  We didn't win the bid for this game, but it is refreshing moving forward that at least that is an option for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Obviously the bid wasn't very competitive because we lost. We were competitive out in Idaho State too I guess.

So if you lose you weren’t competitive?  that’s a novel concept. 

And no we weren’t competitive at ISU. 
 

You could have fixed it with a measly $10k.  Next time you should step up and contact the athletic dept to offer it up. You could fix it yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Did Chaves go "toe-to-toe" with the other athletic directors?

It's quite apparent that the fans on this board are more than happy with putting in a satisfactory, competitive bid and not going all out to win.  

There was ONE CHANCE to get a home game this year and he screwed it up.  That's undeniable.

If we knew what the nut was and refused to meet it I would agree with you.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

That crap needs to end.  Many on this site are on speed dial from the Alumni Association Foundation and other entities at UND that are looking for dollars. One's fandom or allegiance to UND athletics is not based on what he/she gives and I'd be willing to bet most of the apathetic lemming posters here give nothing.

The point is you could have fixed it if you were  willing to step up big rather than just bitching after the fact. 
 

What $$ number would have been considered adequate in your mind?  $100k, $200k?  $300k?

there’s  still  no guarantee that we’d win the bid. Someone could still go higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring back Faison!   Bring back Faison!   It just goes to show some people are never happy unless they can complain about something.         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

If we knew what the nut was and refused to meet it I would agree with you.  
 

So no one in the UND athletic department has access to the internet? It has been documented that Nicholls St bid $80K so they could host a playoff game last year. That is at a minimum was potential bar for bid for Chaves to look at. Now did he think we'd be bidding against Nicholls this year? Most likely not but there was a chance and Nicholls precedent was set last year. They were definitely not going to bid less than $80K this year. I agree with whoever posted that the UND athletic department was pretty sure they were going to get a regional playoff game and that thought process made their bid sufficient...….unfortunately they presumed incorrectly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So no one in the UND athletic department has access to the internet? It has been documented that Nicholls St bid $80K so they could host a playoff game last year. That is at a minimum was potential bar for bid for Chaves to look at. Now did he think we'd be bidding against Nicholls this year? Most likely not but there was a chance and Nicholls precedent was set last year. They were definitely not going to bid less than $80K this year. I agree with whoever posted that the UND athletic department was pretty sure they were going to get a regional playoff game and that thought process made their bid sufficient...….unfortunately they presumed incorrectly.

What is the number we should have bid to insure we were at home? 

$150k?  $500k?

$1B? - per dr evil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not trying to derail this thread into a nickname debate, but this is why retiring the nickname was absolutely the correct thing to do.  We wouldn't even be having a discussion about submitting bids for playoffs games.  Had we kept the Sioux name, we would never EVER host a home playoff game.  Even if we were the #1 seed.  We didn't win the bid for this game, but it is refreshing moving forward that at least that is an option for years to come.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I am arguably a moron who follows his alma mater's football team for fun rather than as an intellectual pursuit. But even I understand the difference between bidding and auctioning. And I wouldn't be at all shocked if there are those in the Nicholls fan base that are questioning why they bid so "unnecessarily " high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

If we knew what the nut was and refused to meet it I would agree with you.  
 

If Chaves is too incompetent to know that at least one team, Nicholls, bid 80K just last year than we are worse off than I thought.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Albany AD:

“We felt like if we could make the playoffs, we needed to do whatever we could to reward our team and our fans with a home game,” Benson said. “I thought we put a very strong bid in to host in the first round.”

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-gets-home-game-in-NCAA-playoffs-14859219.php

What would be your response if you found out UND outbid Albany, which I'd be pretty confident on betting on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who never want to be on the road again in the first round of the playoffs send Chaves an email and make sure he knows you’ll support a higher bid to ensure it never happens again.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Albany AD:

“We felt like if we could make the playoffs, we needed to do whatever we could to reward our team and our fans with a home game,” Benson said. “I thought we put a very strong bid in to host in the first round.”

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-gets-home-game-in-NCAA-playoffs-14859219.php

What was their bid amount? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Albany AD:

“We felt like if we could make the playoffs, we needed to do whatever we could to reward our team and our fans with a home game,” Benson said. “I thought we put a very strong bid in to host in the first round.”

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-gets-home-game-in-NCAA-playoffs-14859219.php

There are plenty of people, even NDSU fans, speculating that we probably had the second highest bid of the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If Chaves is too incompetent to know that at least one team, Nicholls, bid 80K just last year than we are worse off than I thought.  

I'm guessing he had some limitations on what we could bid.  The good news is that you can fix this next time by yourself.   Step up.  Write to Chaves and tell him you want to help out next time and give him a number

I ask you again - what is the number you think we should have bid?  $100k - would that have been enough?  Maybe $200k.

Again hindsight is a wonderful tool if all you want to do is bitch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If Chaves is too incompetent to know that at least one team, Nicholls, bid 80K just last year than we are worse off than I thought.  

Given the TM article pumping up UNDs bid, Chaves should have been humiliated when it was announced they were going on the road. @UND1983 the part you put in bold is a huge deal. IMO it makes it so much worse than I originally thought. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I'm guessing he had some limitations on what we could bid.  The good news is that you can fix this next time by yourself.   Step up.  Write to Chaves and tell him you want to help out next time and give him a number

I ask you again - what is the number you think we should have bid?  $100k - would that have been enough?  Maybe $200k.

Again hindsight is a wonderful tool if all you want to do is bitch.

Really? Chaves knows a number that won just last year and he bids below it by $5K. Unfortunately, most of my frustrations surround the Herald article pumping up the bid (when it was lower than a # that has won in the past). I think he looks like a complete clown. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...