Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SiouxFan100

Montana State

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Really, not a lot when it comes to injuries on a week to week basis. Am I off on that? I'm using Holm as an example from earlier this year, who was listed as a starter for a couple weeks, but never played. I did look at the notes for this week and can't find the two deep, so I'm not sure where @MoSiouxFan found this weeks. 

https://fightinghawks.com/documents/2019/10/23//Week_9_MSU.pdf

Scroll down until you find the 2 deep.  Check the injury report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shep said:

So what can we learn from the 2 Deep?

I haven't listened to the 360 guys. What did they say?

 

Available on Twitter tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may make it to the game, but not sure yet.  Will a walk up ticket be a reasonable assumption or do I need to seek one out ahead of time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Bennett will be out

Morrison will most likely play

Maybe DeVore and Holm.

With Holm.  I wonder if they are giving him the option to red shirt with 4 games.

Morrison and DeVore would be a big boost to our chances at a win. Holm too obviously but our secondary is sitting slot better right now than our DL.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I may make it to the game, but not sure yet.  Will a walk up ticket be a reasonable assumption or do I need to seek one out ahead of time?

Gonna guess walk up should work.

Farmers and anyone who can help will HOPEFULLY be back in the fields by this weekend. That curbs not only them but all businesses that works with them. Not sure what a noon start does to attendance. Hockey after?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, shep said:

Gonna guess walk up should work.

Farmers and anyone who can help will HOPEFULLY be back in the fields by this weekend. That curbs not only them but all businesses that works with them. Not sure what a noon start does to attendance. Hockey after?

hopefully, spur of the moment thing, so tickets and rooms are a work in process

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Important to have the ball as much as possible with a banged up defensive unit.  

At the same time we've seen what happens when we go with the "Bubba Ball" type approach and "a punt is a good play".

Does Bubba give Freund the green light and we attack and go up tempo with motion and some trickery?  Or eat up the play clock and snap it under five each time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Important to have the ball as much as possible with a banged up defensive unit.  

At the same time we've seen what happens when we go with the "Bubba Ball" type approach and "a punt is a good play".

Does Bubba give Freund the green light and we attack and go up tempo with motion and some trickery?  Or eat up the play clock and snap it under five each time?

Well, your first sentence would support a Bubba Ball approach. Grind out long drives. Up tempo does NOT satisfy the quest to keep the D off the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, gundy1124 said:

I don't see how we stop the run this week.  It will be frustrating as heck.  We started small and just got smaller over the weekend.  Time to Belichick up and figure something out.  I hadn't seen that many people on skates since I took my family to Skate City. (watching our D Line last week)

Sounds like Morrison might play, albeit not at 100%. Mason Bennett will be out. 

Even if UND was completely healthy at defensive line, it would be tough to stop Montana State's running game. 

I agree with you; UND will need to scheme some things up to stop the run. Will likely have to play the numbers game and bring an extra player in the box and hope to not get beat on the deep pass.

UND's offense has to show up big time in this game. Freund needs to scheme some things up like he did against UC Davis and score in bunches. 

I know I already said this, but SPECIAL TEAMS, SPECIAL TEAMS, SPECIAL TEAMS! UND can win the game if they play flawless in this area, something I'm not comfortable with. Need to make field goals when presented with the opportunity. Need to cover kicks and punts well because the defense needs all the field they can get to defend. Definitely cannot give up a blocked punt ...... alternatively, what if UND blocked a punt? Game changer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

With Holm.  I wonder if they are giving him the option to red shirt with 4 games.

At this point, it is a pretty safe assumption he's going to redshirt and you can be a bit strategic with the 4 games you put him in. 4 games left on the schedule. Let him play the next 2 if he's close enough to game shape. If you go 1-1 or 2-0 against MSU and Weber, sit him one or both of the next two where he ideally shouldn't be needed as much and give him a possibility of playing a playoff game or two.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

360 pregame show says Morrison is out...Lickfeldt is out too.

Let's get the list of who's in at D line, it's shorter that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Let's get the list of who's in at D line, it's shorter that way.

I hope we have 3 at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can talk to Montana State and explain we are real thin with our defensive linemen they might agree that we can have a gentleman’s agreement that neither team will use defensive linemen this game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

360 pregame show says Morrison is out...Lickfeldt is out too.

It's going to be tough to stop the run up the middle..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure would be nice if the crowd was loud on all down will we are on defense.  Need to cause some false start penalties and get them out of good running downs.  Need to force a few turnovers also.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Maybe we can talk to Montana State and explain we are real thin with our defensive linemen they might agree that we can have a gentleman’s agreement that neither team will use defensive linemen this game.

If we get our ass kicked in the middle with the status quo it's our own fault.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

If we get our ass kicked in the middle with the status quo it's our own fault.  

Yep, coaches new 3 years ago when tank and Greer were Jr's there wasn't much behind them.  It wasn't like the lack of depth at NG was something that sprung out of nowhere.  So now we are rolling with a true freshman at NG the entire game?  Do we even have another NG on the roster?   Does Bubba have one year of eligibility left and can play NG? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

It's going to be tough to stop the run up the middle..

ILB were getting hammered by OL against CAL-POLY.  Gonna have to step it up vs MSU and the rest of the season with the problems at DL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there no fat kids walking around campus that could literally just stand in the A gap on Saturday?

How many points will it take to win?

I'll say 35. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

ILB were getting hammered by OL against CAL-POLY.  Gonna have to step it up vs MSU and the rest of the season with the problems at DL.

We have ILB that are heaver than lineman on this team!  Just crazy.  The coaches inability to fill glaring roster gaps that this forum had a bead years ahead of time is really alarming (NG and QB). 

Really is a huge bummer that Ott was injured so early in his career.  How many guys on the DL do we have healthy for this game from the two deep going into spring ball?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blasphemy to follow; be warned:

Is it time to rethink the 3-4 scheme?

It was put in place to stop an offensive scheme no longer in wide use.

And it seems to lend to DL being hurt because there's more opportunity to double-team them (5x3 vs 5x4). 

Discuss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Blasphemy to follow; be warned:

Is it time to rethink the 3-4 scheme?

It was put in place to stop an offensive scheme no longer in wide use.

And it seems to lend to DL being hurt because there's more opportunity to double-team them (5x3 vs 5x4). 

Discuss. 

With the 3-4, it's pretty rare to actually only send 3.  Those OL often need to be prepared for 5 rushers.  So I guess I doubt the double-team is the issue here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Blasphemy to follow; be warned:

Is it time to rethink the 3-4 scheme?

It was put in place to stop an offensive scheme no longer in wide use.

And it seems to lend to DL being hurt because there's more opportunity to double-team them (5x3 vs 5x4). 

Discuss. 

Topic for a new thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contemporary 34 is used mostly to get one on one matchups for star edge rushers. Pure 34 alignments are pretty rare with spread offenses though, it's become various hybrid fronts now. Bubba's style is definitely a rarity these days, 34 zone blitzing with the secondary playing deep quarters. It's a lot of the same stuff from back in the good old days. I honestly can't tell if the scheme is good or not so good. Sometimes it makes teams look terrible, sometimes we get gashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...