Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
90siouxfan

UC Davis game day

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

This sends a poor message to your players, in my opinion.   This is not the first time, with the punt on fourth and inches in Seattle being the example that I can't get over.   

I cannot agree more with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness to all of the coaching staff I’m not sure we know who made the decisions at different points in the game. The head coach is ultimately responsible. The process of decision making starts over the winter and into spring ball and then fall pre-season etc. The entire coaching staff meets regularly to develop an overall philosophy based on personnel and then a strategy for each game. Obviously different for each game/opponent. Game film is broken down and studied by coaches and players and how we decide to attack each opponent is formed with input from everyone including players. Offensive play calling is usually the Off Coordinator with constant input from Off assistants and the QB. Same on Defense but head coach has veto power. QB has ultimate veto power with audibles. In the coaching box there is constant communication with other coaches including those on the other side of the ball. Often there is debate during the week before the game but also during the game as to offensive plays and defensive schemes. A good head coach will usually take responsibility for whatever his staff and players do even if he let them make the call or develop the game plan because ultimately he is responsible.  To single out just one coach for what we don’t like is a bit simplistic in my mind.  I’m not defending nor criticizing overall performance at this time but blame and credit go to the entire staff and team when warranted.   Just my opinion. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Ah that's disappointing.  Is he mostly just getting in on special teams?  If he's out there in coverage, maybe it's a good thing we're not noticing him?

Fort didn’t play last game, will be something to watch, if he doesn’t play again this weekend we can assume they want to keep his RS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

A lot of people have focused on the last possession  as a poor way to end the first half.  I don't think I've read one poster who's opinion was that they should have done what they ended up doing.  I'm not saying that I disagree, but I have examined the scenario in my mind and do want to offer a few thoughts.

-Why was Bubba nervous about giving the other team momentum?  Did he not have confidence in the offense to keep moving down the field?  Did he not have confidence that the offense could prevent a turnover?  Or is it that he had confidence in those things, but just wanted to take a conservative approach?  Is the risk of gaining 3 or 7 more points worth giving up 3 or 7 points?  How upset would everyone would have been had our lead been less than 14 points given the situation?  I think this would be the soundest reason to do what we did.

-UCD seemed content to go to the locker room down by 14 and try to regroup.  Perhaps all the more reason for UND to try to force them into submission.  But in theory, UCD could have called time outs to force UND to make a play, and they didn't.  Seemed like both sides were happy to call it a half.  Perhaps this is what rubs people the wrong way - that we let an opponent leave the field on their terms.

Hard to say what the best approach was.

I have no issue with the first couple runs on that possession, but once they had a first down near midfield with 24 seconds left and coming out of a timeout, they should've been taking shots downfield to score/set up a FG attempt.  The risk/reward at that point was almost all reward.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AJS said:

Fort didn’t play last game, will be something to watch, if he doesn’t play again this weekend we can assume they want to keep his RS. 

I hope they keep it. He’s looked good but not to the point that we need him right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doesn’t he have the glove off every time he’s behind center?

Yes, he does not wear it when lined up at QB.  Danny is calling the plays from the booth and is the one making the decision.   Also, Nate checked out of two first down calls and went run on an RPO from twenty one.  Danny can't control that, and he also can't take the ability to check away from Nate - a fine line to dance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I have no issue with the first couple runs on that possession, but once they had a first down near midfield with 24 seconds left and coming out of a timeout, they should've been taking shots downfield to score/set up a FG attempt.  The risk/reward at that point was almost all reward.

At this point while I believe there is frustration with this call, most of the venting is about Bubba's body of work in these situations.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Ah that's disappointing.  Is he mostly just getting in on special teams?  If he's out there in coverage, maybe it's a good thing we're not noticing him?

Odom can switch back if needed.  If you are ok at corner keeping the shirt makes sense especially if he is still learning the defense.  Siegel commented last week that about two weeks into spring ball he could stop thinking and start playing.  3 1/2 years vs 4 good ones    Geaux thoughts?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, homer said:

You have said before UND doesn’t have D1 athletes but now say they play down to their competition, which is it? 

I also challenge you to go back and look at the play by play charts from the game and see if the run/pass ratio changed.  I’ll save you the time, it didn’t.  Also, rewatch the game and you will see that the plays were there, just didn’t execute.  I am confident however that the coaching staff will coach players up on that and we will continue to see improvement on our offense as we have the same QB running it the third week in a row.  

I don't think 5 years ago they had many D1 kids,  I think the last couple classes have more than in the past - Don't under estimate the HPC in that.  At the fan luncheon Schmidt in a conversation mentioned that the recent classes and incoming have kids who would not be here without it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

I don't think 5 years ago they had many D1 kids,  I think the last couple classes have more than in the past - Don't under estimate the HPC in that.  At the fan luncheon Schmidt in a conversation mentioned that the recent classes and incoming have kids who would not be here without it.  

Even further emphasized the importance of getting Phase II done

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about Fort, I want to expand that a little further. I believe this years True Freshman were Bubba's best class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a chance that nobody loses their Red Shirt. In 5 games Fort has played 4, Cochran 3 Nelson 3 a few others have games sprinkled in there, none of which are anything close to key contributors (which makes believe all shirts will stay in tact). Of course the new 4 game rule really helps out, but I do think this says something about UND finally building a little depth. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

my point is, if Danny is calling the plays, is Bubba looking over his shoulder and intervening with that series being a shining example of a "defensive minded" head coach having less the optimal confidence in offense.

It may not have anything to do with Bubba's confidence in the offense. It may simply have to do with the head coach's philosophy. Head coach has veto power over everything. I don't know if that happened in this situation or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Even further emphasized the importance of getting Phase II done

Phase II would be game changer. Want UND to take the next step in terms of athletes? Get Phase II and show a legitimate emphasis towards football. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Phase II would be game changer. Want UND to take the next step in terms of athletes? Get Phase II and show a legitimate emphasis towards football. 

Exactly - Give them another reason to choose UND over joe blow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AJS said:

Talking about Fort, I want to expand that a little further. I believe this years True Freshman were Bubba's best class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a chance that nobody loses their Red Shirt. In 5 games Fort has played 4, Cochran 3 Nelson 3 a few others have games sprinkled in there, none of which are anything close to key contributors (which makes believe all shirts will stay in tact). Of course the new 4 game rule really helps out, but I do think this says something about UND finally building a little depth. 

We'll see what happens, but I don't understand why any of these guys have played so far.  None of them were needed  as far as I know.  It wasn't like there was a string of injuries and they had to go in.  If you are thinking you might red shirt them, why would you play them in early games in the year, especially when they played in games like NDSU where we weren't going to win anyway.  If they end up burning the red shirts on these guys i think it's a complete waste.  Burn a whole year of coming in a few plays here and there when the games already been determined, verses having another entire year where you are starting and on top of your game.  

I agree that we do finally have some depth, which will make the decision to burn a red shirt if they do, even more ridiculous if they burn them for nothing.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

We'll see what happens, but I don't understand why any of these guys have played so far.  None of them were needed  as far as I know.  It wasn't like there was a string of injuries and they had to go in.  If you are thinking you might red shirt them, why would you play them in early games in the year, especially when they played in games like NDSU where we weren't going to win anyway.  If they end up burning the red shirts on these guys i think it's a complete waste.  Burn a whole year of coming in a few plays here and there when the games already been determined, verses having another entire year where you are starting and on top of your game.  

I agree that we do finally have some depth, which will make the decision to burn a red shirt if they do, even more ridiculous if they burn them for nothing.  

Have they been playing special teams?  If they give you the best chance to win vs the toughest stretch of schedule, play them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

This sends a poor message to your players, in my opinion.   This is not the first time, with the punt on fourth and inches in Seattle being the example that I can't get over.   

To be fair, there have been more calls this year to go for it on 4th and short where the offense can't get a yard or QB sneak up the middle.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AJS said:

Talking about Fort, I want to expand that a little further. I believe this years True Freshman were Bubba's best class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a chance that nobody loses their Red Shirt. In 5 games Fort has played 4, Cochran 3 Nelson 3 a few others have games sprinkled in there, none of which are anything close to key contributors (which makes believe all shirts will stay in tact). Of course the new 4 game rule really helps out, but I do think this says something about UND finally building a little depth. 

When is Skokna going to be ready, I really want to see what he can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

When is Skokna going to be ready, I really want to see what he can do.

Hopefully he is healthy or close to it.  However I wouldn't be playing him at this point yet even if he is healthy, i'd save him in case we have more injuries at RB.  Gordon has been out, if JJ goes down or something then we may need him.  I'm anxious to see what he has too, but I'd rather keep him on the shelf a little longer to preserve his red shirt should we actually need to play him later due to injury.  

I hope Gordon can get back to healthy, I thought he would be good in this offense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Hopefully he is healthy or close to it.  However I wouldn't be playing him at this point yet even if he is healthy, i'd save him in case we have more injuries at RB.  Gordon has been out, if JJ goes down or something then we may need him.  I'm anxious to see what he has too, but I'd rather keep him on the shelf a little longer to preserve his red shirt should we actually need to play him later due to injury.  

I hope Gordon can get back to healthy, I thought he would be good in this offense.  

Gee has been better than solid. Very pleased with his play. Like a bigger slower Jake Miller. Very similar running style.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Gee has been better than solid. Very pleased with his play. Like a bigger slower Jake Miller. Very similar running style.

I agree, Gee has been pretty good.  Seems like early on a few people didn't seem to be too high on him, but he's been pretty effective and good catching the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, Gee has been pretty good.  Seems like early on a few people didn't seem to be too high on him, but he's been pretty effective and good catching the ball.  

He’s just kinda sneaky and slippery. That goal line run last week was a good example. He just slid between tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...