Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
northernraider

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because the NCAA SRS normalizes to the number of games you play. 

Seven wins against FCS teams is better in an 11 game schedule than a 12 game schedule when normalized. If you schedule that 12th game you'd better be sure to win it. 

I'm not real smart but I was always taught 8 >> 7 (if all wins are FCS wins)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm not real smart but I was always taught 8 >> 7 (if all wins are FCS wins)

8/12 is better than 7/11; however, 7/11 is better than 7/12. If you schedule that 12th game you'd better be sure to win it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

8/12 is better than 7/11; however, 7/11 is better than 7/12. If you schedule that 12th game you'd better be sure to win it. 

There is plenty of Valpo's out there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oxbow6 said:

There is plenty of Valpo's out there.

You buyin'? 

Talks is cheap; it takes money to buy ... cupcakes. ;) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

You buyin'? 

Talks is cheap; it takes money to buy ... cupcakes. ;) 

Missing the playoffs and being stuck in a state of mediocrity as program costs more......but I get what you're saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I heard on some podcast that they actually tried to get a 12th game but the teams that were available didn't fit what UND was looking for (perhaps all the cupcakes were gone?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

There is plenty of Valpo's out there.

Ohh God, a ridiculous amount.....you could be independent and be 12-0 every year with how many irrelevant "Division 1" teams there are.  

Next year lets get the fighting camels of Campbell up here or the Presbyterian blue hose.....

Like what hat do you wear to a Stetson Hatters game????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I thought I heard on some podcast that they actually tried to get a 12th game but the teams that were available didn't fit what UND was looking for (perhaps all the cupcakes were gone?). 

Like ISU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I thought I heard on some podcast that they actually tried to get a 12th game but the teams that were available didn't fit what UND was looking for (perhaps all the cupcakes were gone?). 

From what I heard, there was no real effort to get a 12th game, whether it was  a cupcake buy game or an FBS payday, simply because the schedule heading into the season was so daunting.  They were rolling the dice that the 2nd bye week was going to be as valuable as an extra win from Valpo type team or a half million dollars from an FBS team, as far as building a playoff resume based on how strong the schedule was.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

From what I heard, there was no real effort to get a 12th game, whether it was  a cupcake buy game or an FBS payday, simply because the schedule heading into the season was so daunting.  They were rolling the dice that the 2nd bye week was going to be as valuable as an extra win from Valpo type team or a half million dollars from an FBS team, as far as building a playoff resume based on how strong the schedule was.....

Given our injury situation the week before Weber, at the time it seems like many were happy we had the bye week. I’m not going to blame Bubba for that one, who knows maybe we lose that week with multiple players out, then playoffs are for sure out of the question. Given our tough schedule I wasn’t super pissed we didn’t have a twelfth game, in hindsight it may cost us but we will see. But since I was adamantly opposed to it before the season I’m not going to sit here now in Hindsight and throw blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could've scheduled a cupcake between the ndsu and ewu games. I believe I've been pretty consistent in questioning the decision not to schedule a 12th game, so I'm going to keep questioning it. With that said, many fcs folks were saying 7 wins with UND's schedule was a playoff guarantee. Of course, after UND beat certain teams they were no longer respected, as usual. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me ask this:

Say UND beat ISU but lost to either UC Davis or MSU... would UND be sweating as much?  Two big wins at home and zero bad losses to point at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We could've scheduled a cupcake between the ndsu and ewu games. I believe I've been pretty consistent in questioning the decision not to schedule a 12th game, so I'm going to keep questioning it. With that said, many fcs folks were saying 7 wins with UND's schedule was a playoff guarantee. Of course, after UND beat certain teams they were no longer respected, as usual. 

If you were solidly questioning it before the season, I’m good with you questioning it now. I think some were ok with the two bye weeks before the season and some were not.  I just don’t like it when people change their tune based on hindsight vision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let me ask this:

Say UND beat ISU but lost to either UC Davis or MSU... would UND be sweating as much?  Two big wins at home and zero bad losses to point at

I doubt it. Bad losses seem to hurt much worse than good wins help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let me ask this:

Say UND beat ISU but lost to either UC Davis or MSU... would UND be sweating as much?  Two big wins at home and zero bad losses to point at

I think we needed the MSU win, but ya if we beat ISU and lost to Davis I think our chances are better to get in, crazy as that seems. All comes down to how are your quality of losses. Of all of the joking we all made about it, it may happen to us again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

Agreed, I was against this lopsided scheduling agreement from day one. Now starting next year we play them every year again so in the end this accomplished little.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed, I was against this lopsided scheduling agreement from day one. Now starting next year we play them every year again so in the end this accomplished little.

It was only negative.  It confirmed what Fargo assumed to be true and broke a lot of UND fans.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

Faison made the decision with Bubba’s input. I opposed it because we weren’t ready for NDSU and I would not have agreed to 2 away games. I agree it cost us a playoff shot the first year and could be a major factor this year. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

I agree completely with your premise, but even if it would have been a home and home, the outcome would have likely been the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree completely with your premise, but even if it would have been a home and home, the outcome would have likely been the same. 

UND and Grand Forks would've made much more money. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

I am going to guess they cleared more for that game than they did for several of their earlier FBS games (Idaho).  Charters are in the 100-125 range, I believe.  FCS games go for about 200-250K so after charter/hotel/food there is less than they got at NDSU.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I agree completely with your premise, but even if it would have been a home and home, the outcome would have likely been the same. 

Let’s be honest here. UND would have faired much better at home. Not that they would have won, but performed much better for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy to second guess the scheduling of SU now. At the time it made UND look good in the state and as The Flagship that is the way it should be. I agree that it did cost us a playoff run then and it might now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...