Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a beautiful day to kick-off the year out at Memorial Stadium this morning. A little overcast to start but the sun cam a-blazing as the morning progressed. Speaking of blazing, there is a m

There was a lot of football played out at Memorial Stadium today, and right from the get go.  The team followed up warm-ups immediately with about 15-20 plays of 11-on-11. There was loud mus

The Rudy “ push a circle through a square” offense is gone.  3 years too late but finally!!  Great to have a feeling where maybe, just maybe, the offense is capable of mounting a comeback.  Going to n

Posted Images

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea, would hate for Freund to be anything like the NFLs offensive savant. 

its would be quite awful

collegiate football wise, there are plenty of comparisons out there for teams that spread it out but still emphasize the run. we will see what version we get when the  Freund football product hits the field on game day

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Has he mentored under someone who runs the offense he's going to run or how did he pick it up? It sounds like it's very different than anything that's been run at UND before him.

 

Bob Freund, St. Joseph's HS, Kenosha, WI.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4052923-Danny-Freund-gets-his-opportunity-to-call-the-shots-as-offensive-coordinator

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

This will come across as trash talk I realize, but it’s just more of an observation on people’s expectations for Freund. Every fan base has the right to be optimistic, I would do the same if it was my team. But I’m not necessarily understanding why most UND fans are certain that the offense will be significantly upgraded when it has so many questions marks.

First time coordinator(gotta start somewhere I realize)

brand new, unproven at UND offensive system.

A full team of players that was recruited for a dramatically different system.

I sincerely hope it turns out for UND outside of the NDSU game, because I think the rivalry is a ton of fun when both teams are great. I just am curious as to why most seem so certain he’s better than the previous guy with all of the question marks.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bison06 pretty simple as someone who has pretty much watched every game of the Bubba era and something that others have said, but it'll no longer trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It sounds almost silly saying since it's so obvious, but playing to not only the players strengths, but also the opponents weaknesses sounds like a winning formula to me. You couldn't count the times the opposing team stacked the box knowing exactly what was coming and more time than not, they were right. I'm also really high on the personnel they have returning, since no system works without the players. Outside of RB, every single positional group should be better this year than last. The RB position although it's tough losing Oliveria and Santiago, still have a lot of talent. Outside of those two guys, they only lose one TE and one OL from last years team. Lastly, having an OL that is finally a strength again, will do wonders for the positional groups.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

This will come across as trash talk I realize, but it’s just more of an observation on people’s expectations for Freund. Every fan base has the right to be optimistic, I would do the same if it was my team. But I’m not necessarily understanding why most UND fans are certain that the offense will be significantly upgraded when it has so many questions marks.

First time coordinator(gotta start somewhere I realize)

brand new, unproven at UND offensive system.

A full team of players that was recruited for a dramatically different system.

I sincerely hope it turns out for UND outside of the NDSU game, because I think the rivalry is a ton of fun when both teams are great. I just am curious as to why most seem so certain he’s better than the previous guy with all of the question marks.

because the players on the offense are actually more suited for this style than they were for the old style.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

because the players on the offense are actually more suited for this style than they were for the old style.

Well I can understand the frustration with the previous guy then if you all felt they weren’t even recruiting the right guys for their system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Bison06 pretty simple as someone who has pretty much watched every game of the Bubba era and something that others have said, but it'll no longer trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It sounds almost silly saying since it's so obvious, but playing to not only the players strengths, but also the opponents weaknesses sounds like a winning formula to me. You couldn't count the times the opposing team stacked the box knowing exactly what was coming and more time than not, they were right. I'm also really high on the personnel they have returning, since no system works without the players. Outside of RB, every single positional group should be better this year than last. The RB position although it's tough losing Oliveria and Santiago, still have a lot of talent. Outside of those two guys, they only lose one TE and one OL from last years team. Lastly, having an OL that is finally a strength again, will do wonders for the positional groups.

We ran just fine with JJ when Olivera and Santiago were injured. We might not have the depth for this top talent but we may be surprised when these running backs get some reps 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Well I can understand the frustration with the previous guy then if you all felt they weren’t even recruiting the right guys for their system.

We had multiple 6'4" WR's blocking for 80% of the game and running routes that didn't compliment their size.  Little to no accommodations in that offense, rigid.  Offensive line was recruited poorly despite them needing to be road graders for it to work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Bison06 pretty simple as someone who has pretty much watched every game of the Bubba era and something that others have said, but it'll no longer trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It sounds almost silly saying since it's so obvious, but playing to not only the players strengths, but also the opponents weaknesses sounds like a winning formula to me. You couldn't count the times the opposing team stacked the box knowing exactly what was coming and more time than not, they were right. I'm also really high on the personnel they have returning, since no system works without the players. Outside of RB, every single positional group should be better this year than last. The RB position although it's tough losing Oliveria and Santiago, still have a lot of talent. Outside of those two guys, they only lose one TE and one OL from last years team. Lastly, having an OL that is finally a strength again, will do wonders for the positional groups.

I wouldn’t say that DL should be better this year at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We had multiple 6'4" WR's blocking for 80% of the game and running routes that didn't compliment their size.  Little to no accommodations in that offense, rigid.  Offensive line was recruited poorly despite them needing to be road graders for it to work.  

Santiago should have had at least 500yrds receiving the last two years of his career each. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

This will come across as trash talk I realize, but it’s just more of an observation on people’s expectations for Freund. Every fan base has the right to be optimistic, I would do the same if it was my team. But I’m not necessarily understanding why most UND fans are certain that the offense will be significantly upgraded when it has so many questions marks.

First time coordinator(gotta start somewhere I realize)

brand new, unproven at UND offensive system.

A full team of players that was recruited for a dramatically different system.

I sincerely hope it turns out for UND outside of the NDSU game, because I think the rivalry is a ton of fun when both teams are great. I just am curious as to why most seem so certain he’s better than the previous guy with all of the question marks.

Its a fair question, and I do think that some expect a completely different outcome to come from a new OC, which isn't exactly realistic, but I do think there will be a significant improvement.

Even with a new system, you still need to execute to really see the results. I think what most people are optimistic and excited about is that a new system will give new opportunities to new players. The expectation with Freund is that the situational play calling will be better. Utilization of his talent should also be better; he is trying to mold the system to fit his tools, rather than forcing his tools to do something that he wants. Everyone, even most Bison fans, would need to acknowledge what a talent John Santiago was, but can you imagine what he could have done with a decent OC? It might not have changed his rushing yardage, but he would have had far more touches, receiving yards, first downs, and TDs. My hope is that Freund can use McKinney in this way, as a versatile, all over the field kind of guy.

I believe there was a double reverse a few years ago that is a perfect example, of the wrong call, in the wrong situation, with the wrong personnel.

So yes, the system is unproven ... BUT it is tough to get must worse schematically than what we have been dealing with the past few seasons. The key will be, even if the play calling is far better, can the players execute and make the difference on the scoreboard; That is what we will find out, until which fans should remain cautiously optimistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I wouldn’t say that DL should be better this year at all.

I expect this position group to be the biggest issue this year. Opposing running teams should be encouraged by what we have up front. I'm more optimistic with passing teams; a good back 7 and an excellent pass rusher. If we score a lot, and opposing teams are forced to throw, I like our chances this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Well I can understand the frustration with the previous guy then if you all felt they weren’t even recruiting the right guys for their system.

There were no right guys for that system unless playing against inferior competition. The system itself was intensely flawed and led by an offensive coordinator that had no right being a D1 OC (didn't really even have success at lower levels). Even though Freund is brand new at it, I'm about 99% sure he'll be a vast improvement over what we had.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Santiago should have had at least 500yrds receiving the last two years of his career each. 

He seems like he would have been a superstar in the slot. Playing that Weston Dressler/Ryan Smith role.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Well I can understand the frustration with the previous guy then if you all felt they weren’t even recruiting the right guys for their system.

I think given the success of some of the regional schools (mostly NDSU, but certainly SDSU as well) you have to recruit whatever talent you can. But in doing so, you need to mold your system to showcase and utilize that talent. This flexibility, or adjustment mindset was completely absent from Rudy's process.

Looking at the type of offense he ran, I really don't know how you recruit anyone specifically for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think given the success of some of the regional schools (mostly NDSU, but certainly SDSU as well) you have to recruit whatever talent you can. But in doing so, you need to mold your system to showcase and utilize that talent. This flexibility, or adjustment mindset was completely absent from Rudy's process.

Looking at the type of offense he ran, I really don't know how you recruit anyone specifically for it. 

I agree and that’s why I think UND should have better luck in attracting QBs and WR going forward and you have seen this with the Klein commit from Mandan.  Under Rudy, it was a harder sell to attract QB And WR.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...