Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

It saddens me to see the current status of the Grand Forks Herald. My family has been a subscriber since I was a 'wee' child....My father's hired men used to read me the daily baseball standings, as they, and then I, became fast sports enthusiasts.

Now the paper has become a 'day late' reporting evening sports of high school, college and professional teams.  Furthermore it has 'sold out ' to hockey interests; a sport that does not rank high in fan interest in North Dakota (compare attendance at state tourney games) and other than a few communities in MN. I know the Herald has invested and banked it's future on hockey, but IMO will only hasten it's demise.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sioux Lite said:

yeah it's not like Grand Forks has been voted best hockey town in America. Take a lap John W.

And why do you think GF is voted #1?  Because no one else in the US cares about hockey...pretty easy title to claim.  

Don't get me wrong, I like UND hockey and have followed it for the past 40 years.  I also understand hockey is a niche sport.  I too wish the Herald, and for that matter, UND; would devout more resources to the other UND sports...the sports that the majority of Americans follow and have the most room for growth.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

And why do you think GF is voted #1?  Because no one else in the US cares about hockey...pretty easy title to claim.  

Don't get me wrong, I like UND hockey and have followed it for the past 40 years.  I also understand hockey is a niche sport.  I too wish the Herald, and for that matter, UND; would devout more resources to the other UND sports...the sports that the majority of Americans follow and have the most room for growth.

giphy.gif.4fa78821028abe780ff1016af0ad0220.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You want the truth ....you can't handle the truth"...I agree the Herald should be more  balanced it's sports overage...Hockey is only a mainstream sport in Canada , maybe Sweden, and one of the Slovak countries......Soccer  has surpassed it  in the US....No matter how hard  the Herald tries..it will never become mainstream...

Big Whoop if GF voted the best hockey town in the US., who voted???? GF Herald 'used to have a big reach'...now...not so much.....Becoming a niche newspaper catering to a niche sport...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree that the new Heraldo is horrible - but to blame a "sell out to hockey" is utterly ridiculous.  As I travel around the country and wear UND apparel I get lots of recognition for the great Sioux Hockey Program.  The only other athletic complement I get is when they mistake our football team for the Bison.  Maybe hockey is a "niche" program, but it has fans all over and allows us to be the best program in the country at the DI level with 8 National Championships as well as strong representation in the NHL.   Are you saying FCS Football is less of a niche level?  Or perhaps you think the Summit League is a well known and well respected conference (talk about a niche - and not a very high one).  I love and support UND Football, Basketball (M & W) and Volleyball, but to think we are going to get much national recognition for these programs is indeed pie in the sky.  Do I wish for more coverage of these sports - absolutely.  Is it Hockey's fault - not one bit.  I think Hockey is getting some good article coverage to make up for the fact that the Saturday game results are at our doorstep on Tuesday.  Actually, if the Heraldo cut its annoying coverage of the Gophers there would be many more column inches available for other sports.  The real problem isn't Hockey - it's that we now have the Fargo Herald. 

THANK YOU! It's not a problem of which sports are getting too much coverage, it's a problem of the paper now being run out of the wrong city. The city of GF and surrounding areas are no longer top priority of coverage. Fargo is aware of the delayed sport's news and could probably fix it but they don't care enough to make it happen. It's almost if they're working on getting the GF community to turn their backs on the paper so they can have a legitimate excuse to shut it down. 

 

Follow the GF Herald on Twitter and try not to laugh. Easily every other story is about Fargo or NDSU stories. Irish is exactly right, it's now the Fargo Herald, and it's a joke. No one in Grand Forks, Grafton or Devils Lake cares about MNPLS daily news, leave that crap for the birds in Fargo who envy Minnesota and crave recognition from their big sister. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Herald is not just about Grand Forks....there are 150,000 Minnesotans who live in NW Minny who would/do appreciate info about the Twins, Vikes, and perhaps even BSU or UMC....maybe even some folks  in Piss Creek, ND follow the Twins....don't blame Fargo for elitism.....it's rampant in GF and by some on this board...

Hockey is still 'minor league'..no matter how you cut it!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Herald went down the crapper ever since Forum Communications bought it.

Do Tony Bender or Jim Shaw's columns of verbal vomit make the Herald or are those reading the Forum the only ones blessed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Do Tony Bender or Jim Shaw's columns of verbal vomit make the Herald or are those reading the Forum the only ones blessed?

I don't think we do/but we are blessed with up to 7  collums a day from Mr. Port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you guys want to augment some area coverage feel free to check out the exponent over in EGF ( I Do work for them full disclosure).. I wrote a piece on Reed Hjelle and Colton Poolman's MVP awards this past week. We are running an online special (we only come out with a paper once a week but we try our darndest to cover all things EGF), thru June 12 anyone is welcome to subscribe to our online only edition for 15 bucks which gets you an online paper every Wednesday for the next year and access to our archives .. (link to subscribe is right here https://bit.ly/2M2nWUF ) . If this post isnt allowed feel free to delete it, just want to let folks know as a supplement to the Herald there is some more local sports coverage. Also read and follow Seamore Sports, I covered every UND Soccer game and football game at home and other sports plus hockey as well last year with plans for more. Also read UND Hoops and Goon's work as well. The Herald is awesome and this all adds to the great work they do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John W. said:

It saddens me to see the current status of the Grand Forks Herald. My family has been a subscriber since I was a 'wee' child....My father's hired men used to read me the daily baseball standings, as they, and then I, became fast sports enthusiasts.

Now the paper has become a 'day late' reporting evening sports of high school, college and professional teams.  Furthermore it has 'sold out ' to hockey interests; a sport that does not rank high in fan interest in North Dakota (compare attendance at state tourney games) and other than a few communities in MN. I know the Herald has invested and banked it's future on hockey, but IMO will only hasten it's demise.

Dude, you there's a little thing called the Internet that you can read, in time. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John W. said:

The Herald is not just about Grand Forks....there are 150,000 Minnesotans who live in NW Minny who would/do appreciate info about the Twins, Vikes, and perhaps even BSU or UMC....maybe even some folks  in Piss Creek, ND follow the Twins....don't blame Fargo for elitism.....it's rampant in GF and by some on this board...

Hockey is still 'minor league'..no matter how you cut it!!!!

Overall in the USA, yes absolutely hockey is "minor league" but you have to be delusional to think hockey isn't the #1 covered, talked about and played sport in the GF surrounding area and NW MN...BY FAR.

Yes, most of the class B towns around GF only have BBall for a winter sport, so HS BBall is the #1 in those communities for High School sports..but that's it. Overall, from Devils Lake, up to Winnipeg, to Bemidji...it's an area easily dominated by a hockey following at all levels. And always has been. 

Do me a favor and go check out how other HS winter sports fair in GF, Bemidji, TRF, Warroad and Roseau. Then do me a favor and ask which college sports teams all their parents follow. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binky, I do check the internet....several times per day,...My issue with  Herald is content...and lazy reporting....

GF and the 4/5 towns you mentioned all do care about hockey.....certainly not a majority of people/kids in our region..

Puckheads  are not only dillusional, but 'thin skinned' apparently....Go put your heads I'm the sand until water freezes in late fall....have a nice nap!!!

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we all know the best defense of any troll is that the other people are "thin-skinned". 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

And we all know the best defense of any troll is that the other people are "thin-skinned". 

It's usually a good indication that they've lost the argument. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cratter said:

Herald went down the crapper ever since Forum Communications bought it.

Same can be said about the Jamestown Sun. Believe it or not our sports page was really good at one time. Since the Forum bought it we are lucky to get 2 pages of sports but usually one page. Local coverage and national coverage both have suffered. Not going to get any better either. Times when the entire paper is 6 pages long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dickinson Press has issues too.  Forum eliminated the Sunday paper.  They get Saturday and Sunday papers combined on Saturday.  They eliminated delivery, and it only comes through the mail now, Tuesday through Saturday.  So if you liked to look at your paper over breakfast you are out of luck there.    There is still pretty decent local sports coverage.  Probably fortunate that Forum doesn't own the Bismarck Tribune, so they have to have reporters on staff in Dickinson to cover the local teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, John W. said:

Puckheads  are not only dillusional, but 'thin skinned' apparently...

3230z3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a millennial but do communicate with more than a few of them (relatives, co-workers, students, interns). 

Allow me to attempt to speak for them ... 

 

What's a newspaper? 

 

Wake up. Look at the world around you. The daily newspaper is a dying thing. Quit trying to blame it on anything more than the world changing. They want their information delivered on a device; that you want petroleum (or soy-based) products spread on dead trees delivering your news to you is a joke to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not a millennial but do communicate with more than a few of them (relatives, co-workers, students, interns). 

Allow me to attempt to speak for them ... 

 

What's a newspaper? 

 

Wake up. Look at the world around you. The daily newspaper is a dying thing. Quit trying to blame it on anything more than the world changing. They want their information delivered on a device; that you want petroleum (or soy-based) products spread on dead trees delivering your news to you is a joke to them. 

I bought a digital subscription to the Williston Herald.  Cir. dept called and tried to sell me a paper copy.  Why do I want old news?  It's bad enough I can read most of the paper the day before on the internet before it reaches digital copy to me.  Why wait extra day for paper?  I don't have a bird cage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newspapers today are all the same. Biased BS cut and pasted from the Washington Post. Don't need it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...