SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 - 20 Women’s BB Season

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team has more talent than the level they play to. Defense is truly optional. Rebounding is mostly putting out effort which is in short supply and offensively I have no clue what's going on. 

I can't disagree with any of this.  It was tough watching live.   

17 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

28 turnovers!!!!  No offense but run in the lane and throw up a shot!  COACH BREW NEEDS TO GO! 

Brew explained all of the problems after the game. They are just too young. That is all. He is hoping that if he keeps saying how young they are and how much talent those freshmen have, he can buy himself an extension. Jack Michaels said out of 340 some D1 teams, UND is number 1 in total fouls committed. They have to be close to the top in turnovers. And there you have Brew's coaching philosophy. He prefers no possession, offense or defense, is longer than 10 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Brew explained all of the problems after the game. They are just too young. That is all. He is hoping that if he keeps saying how young they are and how much talent those freshmen have, he can buy himself an extension. Jack Michaels said out of 340 some D1 teams, UND is number 1 in total fouls committed. They have to be close to the top in turnovers. And there you have Brew's coaching philosophy. He prefers no possession, offense or defense, is longer than 10 seconds. 

Insecure.  That's what he is.  When a coach goes to the youth card, he is making excuses and deflecting from how his team got worse as season went on. 

Shouldn't a young team get better as season wears on?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Insecure.  That's what he is.  When a coach goes to the youth card, he is making excuses and deflecting from how his team got worse as season went on. 

Shouldn't a young team get better as season wears on?

"But it's all about the relationships and all about teaching life lessons" (sarcasm) :silly:

Enough of this high school bull$h!t. :angry:

Brewster needs to go.

• Upvote 1

Chaves is going to need to make a decision here in next few weeks with women's basketball program. If he is going to mold this universities sports program for the future he is going to have to start making some tough decisions. The universities women's programs have taken severe hit in last few years. Women's hockey has been eliminated and Volley program had success but much of that success was from fired coach because of personal problems and we have seen nothing but decline in the program. Now we have Women's basketball that has been heading wrong way now for more than 4 years and when current coach was handed the program it was pretty much ready to compete in Division I and two short years was conference champs and NCAA qualifier. The women's programs from athletes we have in the program seem to be above average academically and what I can see at women's basketball side we have recruited talented athletes but were not getting to play and abilities of their talent. These athletes from efforts and their public comments are willing to learn and compete to become better as a team.  This leads us to coaching and we have had several assistant coaching changes but bottom line is that program is not improving and their comes time for a change. Brewster has done good things for the program but I just think their comes time when both parties need a change. For what ever reason basketball that Brewster wants to play either his talent is not right for the game or style he wants to play today will not work to produce a winner year in year out but bottom line is he needed to adapt to style of basketball that produces a winner.  I know for what I do for living you need to adapt and find things that work either that you fail and go out of business. I think he has been given time to make changes and when you evaluate the program you can't have team that has high foul rate, high turn over rate, and poor shooting performance and not see improvement in over four years but instead those numbers keep climbing. This is not to mention other fundamental flaws the team continues to make this gets back to coaching and philosophy of kind of basketball your going to play. Chaves needs to step up now prevent further decline in UND sports which has been known for high quality of teams it put forth.  

• Upvote 1

My assessment of the ladies' program:

• The team started the season well and won quite a few difficult games, mostly on the road.  But as the season progressed, the team did not.  You would assume that the young players would improve with experience/game time.  The opposite was true.  It sure appeared the team enjoyed playing the game early in the season and not so at the end of the season.  
  • Many coaching-related issues prevailed throughout the season (21+ fouls per game, 18+ TOs per game - the same type of careless TOs game after game, porous defense with continual issues in switching assignments on pick & rolls - so many points were given up and fouls committed, and an offense which appeared to be "get the ball down the court as fast as you can then see what happens".  
  • It sure appeared there was little in-game coaching taking place especially on the defensive end of the court.  Adjustments were few and ineffective.
  • There were also some coaching strategies that were impossible to understand.  We made five intentional fouls in the last 44 seconds of our 91-74 loss at WIU.  We fouled when were behind 84-73 with 44 seconds remaining (probably made sense), again with 31 seconds remaining and still behind 84-73, behind 86-73 when we fouled with 24 seconds remaining, 87-73 with 8 seconds remaining and the last foul with 4 seconds left when we were behind 89-74.  That is not "playing hard until the end" or "never giving up".  It was simply dumb - and you could tell the girls knew it!
  • Like it or not, we have to compare ourselves with the Bison.  They were a program down in the dumps and then made very good strides throughout the season (starting with their win over UND).  With their new coach and our losing to them twice this year, just like that - we are no longer considered the best college BB program in ND.  This is a very big deal to fans but, more importantly, young prospects from ND and MN may now easily opt for SU rather than us.  Their new coach can "accurately" tell a very good story about a bright future for their program based on the progress made this year.  
A couple of comments about the roster:
  • Leet's injury really hurt.  She had made good progress with her game.  With her out, we were a much different team.
  • The freshman class has a lot of good players: however, they are really undersized and they are not great athletes.  The guards can shoot but are small and have difficulty getting shots off against bigger competition.  I think this has altered caused them to alter their shots - making them less accurate.  When you look at the SD schools, they have really good BB players who are also very good athletes.  They have nice size, length, quickness and they can run.  Bottom line - it will take awhile for us to compete with them (with or without new leadership). 
I need to make a comment on last year's 12-19 team:
  • With one of the best players ever to wear a UND uniform, four other seniors including two 3-year starters, winning only 12 games was unbelievable.  Tons of TOs, fouls, lack of fundamentals, etc.  A team with that much experience with pretty decent talent should have represented themselves and the university much better.  
Bottom line - our women's program needs new leadership.  The University, the fans and especially the ladies deserve better.

If you agree, a well-written note to Chaves would be appropriate:  william.chaves@athletics.und.edu 
  • Upvote 2

So many years there have been questions about the coaching and the team seems to regress as the year goes along. Usually when a team regresses you can point to two major culprits.

1. Injuries

2. Coaching

Other than Leet, there wasn't a host of terrible injuries for this team and I don't think you can really blame last year on injuries either. Therefore, you need to look at the coaching. Is Brew going through the motions? Does he lose the locker room as the year goes along? What's the explanation for it?

As it stands, the women's basketball team is not really in a good place, particularly when compared to the two South Dakota teams. I think a change is necessary sooner rather than later.

Everyone is rightfully frustrated with the turnovers. It appears you make a turnover and there is a good chance you are taken out. That can’t be easy and puts extra pressure on the players. That said, why do we continue to struggle with turnovers. We rush rush rush to nowhere.

we were supposed to be much better with the three. Didn’t appear we succeeded.

on and on we could go.  Seeing what a few coaching changes did to the men’s team and su women’s team I think it would help.

• Upvote 1