SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He is probably the third or fourth best coach in the NSIC. That needs to be taken into account.

I am out of the loop when it comes to NSIC basketball. Is there a general consensus with regard to who the top few NSIC coaches are at present?

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He is probably the third or fourth best coach in the NSIC. That needs to be taken into account.

And that is why the 2 or 3 guys you have above him in the NSIC are on this short list. 

Oh wait..........

Having guys with UND/local/regional ties is great, but with Chaves background from the East Coast, stops at N Colorado & Baylor and his EWU time, there could very likely be some coaches on Chaves’  short list without any UND or Midwest ties. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

And that is why the 2 or 3 guys you have above him in the NSIC are on this short list. 

Oh wait..........

So Walthall is the best coach in the NSIC.  Wonder if there is a metric that we could use to figure it out?

35 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So Walthall is the best coach in the NSIC.  Wonder if there is a metric that we could use to figure it out?

I never said he was the best coach but you said he was 3rd or 4th best. What metric did you use to decide that???

He's done a lot with less compared to other NSIC schools IMO. MSUM is tough to recruit to. He also has D1 experience at Iowa. Not saying he's going to get hired but he deserves a look. 30-6 and 35-4 in 2 seasons at MSUM from '14-'16 is impressive.

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

30-6 and 35-4 in 2 seasons at MSUM from '14-'16 is impressive.

I agree he should get a look but what happened the last two years? 7-22 and 19-12 is quite a drop-off. Did they lose a ton and are rebuilding? 

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I agree he should get a look but what happened the last two years? 7-22 and 19-12 is quite a drop-off. Did they lose a ton and are rebuilding? 

Agree it is a big drop off and yes the talent is down. Recruitment is a crap shoot at any level. Seemed to miss on the current So. and Jr. classes. Of the 8 that played this season 3 were Sr. and 4 were Fr.

Tom Miller put together an impressive list of top 10 candidates.  I'd be surprised if the next coach isnt on this list. Herbst is a very Bubba like candidate, and that hire has yet to prove itself out.  I would go with Phillips (NDSU, OHIO) or Walthall (Moorhead State) if available. 

• Gameli Ahelegbe
  • Randall Herbst
  • Saul Phillips
  • Jeff Horner
  • Ben Johnson
  • Chad Walthall
  • Dave Thorson
  • Eric Peterson
  • Jeff Boshee
  • Steve Grabowski

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4607077-10-names-watch-und-basketball-coaching-search#.XMpanfJ9nSQ.twitter

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Let's cast a wide net and bring in a game changer.

This should always be the thinking. Bring in the best head coach candidate regardless of location and previous ties. From a basic perspective, the UND news release suggested this by saying “a national search ...”, although this is quite standard talk. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I never said he was the best coach but you said he was 3rd or 4th best. What metric did you use to decide that???

He's done a lot with less compared to other NSIC schools IMO. MSUM is tough to recruit to. He also has D1 experience at Iowa. Not saying he's going to get hired but he deserves a look. 30-6 and 35-4 in 2 seasons at MSUM from '14-'16 is impressive.

What happened after ‘14-‘16? That is my question. UND needs consistency. UND had good seasons under Jones, just not enough of them. 

43 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is concerning to me.

I agree. I was a big Walthall promoter the last few years but now that there is actually an opportunity I would be cautious. I think he’d still be a great hire but right now my top candidate would be Coach G. 

25 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I agree. I was a big Walthall promoter the last few years but now that there is actually an opportunity I would be cautious. I think he’d still be a great hire but right now my top candidate would be Coach G. 

Coach G? So you want more of the same?  We can do better.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Siouhawk said:

Coach G? So you want more of the same?  We can do better.

He was here for what 3 years and was the primary reason we got Q and Geno, arguably the two most talented players to come through here in some time. 

9 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

He was here for what 3 years and was the primary reason we got Q and Geno, arguably the two most talented players to come through here in some time. 

Good asset to have, a great recruiter.  Ideally a team needs both, a talented head coach for the X's and O's and a great staff to recruit the best players you can get.  Maybe Coach G would excell at both?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

the only name that has been thrown around that I would really be disappointed in would be Saul Phillips so that's who I am expecting

Wouldn’t hate that hire - he’s been there, done that at the D1 level (with NDSU that is).

42 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Recruiting ability is important, although I would definitely say not the most important. 

The major worry I have is he has no prior collegiate head coach experience with success; UND could fall right into a trap if not to consider this. 

I prefer someone with a history of success as a head coach (either DII or DI).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1