SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

That's the nice thing about this hire. He has a track record of getting recruits and results to a small town in the middle of nowhere in Aberdeen SD, similar to Grand Forks. He doesn't appear to be afraid of a challenge. Leaving an established team at the top of it's game. 

He probably hopes he can build a program at UND and see if there's another jump after that in his future. He's taking a risk. 

Kudos to Sather.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He costed too much. Heard he was contacted by Chaves and he was interested, but not for the ridiculously limited salary UND could offer. Needed 300k plus per his request ... remember, hockey is not only king, but it also dictates. 

Welcome, Coach Sather. Best of luck.  

Go UND.

Hockey doesn’t dictate BB salaries. Chaves does. Lots of work to be done. 

Word I heard is that Boschee pulled out of race after phone interviews, along with McCullem and 1 other. It appears it was leaked to some that Sather was the guy for some time. Coaching circles talked and some didnt want there names in mix when they knew job was already presented to Sather. The North Dakota HR procedures sure seemed to also have played with the lengthy timeline and circus of it all....in the end it appears like Chaves got his guy. As an old NCC and NSIC fan, Northern State has ALWAYS been competitive. The resources, tradition, commitment to basketball and fan base are as good as any D2 program in the country...and that goes back to when NDSU and UND where D2 as well. My point with this as I agree with some...that's a easier situation to recruit to NSU, then Grand Forks and a 3rd fiddle sport. No doubt UND has its challenges, and as a Alum I want UND to be successful in basketball as in all sports. Just not as excited as I would be with others....just seems like low key hire, and guess that's what UND wants.

• Upvote 1

Losing PFW, WIU, ORU or Denver would sink the Summit if they don’t get more fb teams.  The Summit would not have anywhere the teams it’s needs to maintain autobids in men’s soccer and baseball.  Those two sports are by far the most important for the Summit’s continual big dance berth and UND doesn’t have either.  Augie or other DII’s wouldn’t help for at least five years.

Getting a couple more eligible FCS schools and sponsoring it would immediately save the Summit and the baseball and men’s soccer requirement go away.  Baseball and men’s soccer just don’t have teams in the Midwest that sponsor those sports as the MVC or Horizon would then be endangered.  Would have to take an MVC or Horizon school, and that would be highly unusual.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Losing PFW, WIU, ORU or Denver would sink the Summit if they don’t get more fb teams.  The Summit would not have anywhere the teams it’s needs to maintain autobids in men’s soccer and baseball.  Those two sports are by far the most important for the Summit’s continual big dance berth and UND doesn’t have either.  Augie or other DII’s wouldn’t help for at least five years.

Getting a couple more eligible FCS schools and sponsoring it would immediately save the Summit and the baseball and men’s soccer requirement go away.  Baseball and men’s soccer just don’t have teams in the Midwest that sponsor those sports as the MVC or Horizon would then be endangered.  Would have to take an MVC or Horizon school, and that would be highly unusual.

This might be a question that belongs in one of the conference threads... and probably not popular given the recent political climate...

since UND has left the Big Sky and is now in the Summit, can UND drop tennis and the international recruits and pick up a Summit-friendly  sport like soccer? I understand baseball was just dropped and is difficult to host games in the spring, but why is tennis given a pass post Big Sky? There should be plenty of local talent to support soccer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I wouldn’t want to defund hockey. Former hockey guy stepped up and made a donation which should keep hockey well funded for the foreseeable future. We may need to tweak the contract so all FB,VB, MBB,WBB revenues primarily benefit the respective sports those revenues come from if any of those revenues are directed elsewhere. Chaves challenge is to find the boosters to provide the resources to provide financial stability to our other sports. That means increasing revenues to allow us to increase our coaches salaries across the board. What’s good for hockey is good for our other sports and vice versa.  We also need to move beyond the name/logo fiasco. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

This might be a question that belongs in one of the conference threads... and probably not popular given the recent political climate...

since UND has left the Big Sky and is now in the Summit, can UND drop tennis and the international recruits and pick up a Summit-friendly  sport like soccer? I understand baseball was just dropped and is difficult to host games in the spring, but why is tennis given a pass post Big Sky? There should be plenty of local talent to support soccer. 

Ideally, men’s volleyball is much cheaper because it only needs to sponsor a few scholarships max.  There are men’s team sports like that, but NDSU and SDSU would probably not want those forced down their throats.  Tennis, with all the international scholarships and essentially no revenue, is an easy cut, but the Summit needs to reapprize it’s sports first.