SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

A thorough back ground check followed by  contacting references for anyone being seriously considered before you bring them in for an interview.  There is no reason to spend resources to interview a candidate  to only  learn later you can't shouldn't hire  the candidate.  We should have learned something from the Shirvani fiasco. Anyone who "Googled" him before the interview would have seen the red flags.

I agree. I was sarcastically making light of the Kennedy/Colorado situation

18 hours ago, Dustin said:

Probably not a fair comparison, but Coach K was 33 when he became the head coach of Duke.  (Previously had 5 seasons of DI HC experience at Army)

IMO that's really tough.  1. We're not Duke. 2. It's not 1980. 3. There are less than 20 coaches under the age of 35 in d1 basketball. 4. Coach K had a great run when his team had "natural born leaders"  5. Does Coach K  really coach Duke now? I feel like when his team is up 10-15 pts. you see him "get into his guys" but when the game is close does he really "Coach" I would like to see what his record is when the game is 5pts. or less...not taking anything away from arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time but i think that he has most often won because of the talent that he has at Duke at the end of the day we aren't getting that talent at UND. 6. If you look at the last couple of years in the NCAA tournament DUKE has gotten bounced fairly early due to the fact that they havent run any offense other than get the ball to the best players and get out of the way.

We need to be able to get the best talent possible...whether it be HS kids (4 year guys) or D1 transfers/juco talent (2+ years). The hire needs to have a grasp on those! IMO it needs to be someone that knows the league, that has been in the league, and someone that can recruit the league. 

2 hours ago, philjackson said:

IMO that's really tough.  1. We're not Duke. 2. It's not 1980. 3. There are less than 20 coaches under the age of 35 in d1 basketball. 4. Coach K had a great run when his team had "natural born leaders"  5. Does Coach K  really coach Duke now? I feel like when his team is up 10-15 pts. you see him "get into his guys" but when the game is close does he really "Coach" I would like to see what his record is when the game is 5pts. or less...not taking anything away from arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time but i think that he has most often won because of the talent that he has at Duke at the end of the day we aren't getting that talent at UND. 6. If you look at the last couple of years in the NCAA tournament DUKE has gotten bounced fairly early due to the fact that they havent run any offense other than get the ball to the best players and get out of the way.

We need to be able to get the best talent possible...whether it be HS kids (4 year guys) or D1 transfers/juco talent (2+ years). The hire needs to have a grasp on those! IMO it needs to be someone that knows the league, that has been in the league, and someone that can recruit the league. 

I'm guessing his record in 5 point games is pretty good. But like many greats...his teams generally win by more than 5 and if you do beat Duke, you probably arent gonna win by a lot.

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'm guessing his record in 5 point games is pretty good. But like many greats...his teams generally win by more than 5 and if you do beat Duke, you probably arent gonna win by a lot.

this is only since 2001-02, but he's not great in close games

I gotta say Chad Walthall impresses me the most.  Seems strange he hasn't been lured away from Moorhead State already.  He has a 172-79 record at MSU in 8 seasons and has assistant coaching experience at Iowa prior to that.   UND would seem to be a great fit for him and the next logical step up.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, goyotes said:

For reference purposes, SDSU is paying their new head coach, with zero head coaching experience at the college level, $275,000.

Henderson Salary.pdf 80.3 kB · 7 downloads

Jones got a contract extension after the 2017 season, the year UND was the Big Sky Champions and made it to the NCAA tournament, and got paid 140K per year.  Not sure what Chaves is looking to pay the new head coach, but it can't be for hat low.  Not saying it should be 275K like USD, but it should definitely be higher than what they previously have paid.  Something around 160K should be the bare minimum IMO.

Good posts and thoughts on salary. UND needs to raise the bar in compensation, but if its not there, it's not there. Looks like the pool of money budgeted for staff also needs to improve, so there is a lot to catch up with in the/with league schools. 

I dont care if they hire some one for 100, or 200,000 as long as they can put UND back in the top 3rd of the league, year in and year out. To good of a university and overall athletic fan base to be playing AVERAGE among its peers.

I think cheaping out and paying Jones such a low wage was the right move.  He wasn't worth more, as demonstrated by his move to be an assistant at Illinois State.  UND also didn't have to buy out his contract, and Jones may have stayed if he was paid more.  With the new coach, hopefully things improve.  ESPECIALLY for the assistants pool.  Assistants can't be leaving every single year.  

Edit: I also kind of regret being so down on Jones, when he was put into a position where he had to coach with one hand tied behind his back.  Low assistants salary pool, few home D1 non conf games, probably terrible travel accommodations, and tons of travel in general while in the Big Sky.  

• Upvote 4

I'd place a higher priority on upping the assistant pool and funding for home games than I would getting into a measuring contest with nearby schools on the head coach salary. If the head coach does well and earns a higher salary, then we can revisit his salary.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Low assistants salary pool, few home D1 non conf games

This, particularly the first one, needs to be addressed before we worry about doubling the coach's salary. Look at how often the assistants turned over for proof that it was an issue. Tough to have continuity when the same class goes through 3-4 assistant coaches before they graduate.

They will get plenty of quality candidates at $140-60K (which they have the ability to raise for the right candidate). You really aren't even going to get into a different level of candidate until you start approaching $300K and start getting the interest of some P5 assistants. The pool was always going to be G5 and below assistants looking for a head coaching job or lower level head coach looking to move up.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This, particularly the first one, needs to be addressed before we worry about doubling the coach's salary. Look at how often the assistants turned over for proof that it was an issue. Tough to have continuity when the same class goes through 3-4 assistant coaches before they graduate.

They will get plenty of quality candidates at $140-60K (which they have the ability to raise for the right candidate). You really aren't even going to get into a different level of candidate until you start approaching $300K and start getting the interest of some P5 assistants. The pool was always going to be G5 and below assistants looking for a head coaching job or lower level head coach looking to move up.

I absolutely agree that the BB budget needs to be increased and that our assistants have been under paid but please consider the other reasons an assistant may choose to leave for another job!!!  

On 5/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, Siouhawk said:

I gotta say Chad Walthall impresses me the most.  Seems strange he hasn't been lured away from Moorhead State already.  He has a 172-79 record at MSU in 8 seasons and has assistant coaching experience at Iowa prior to that.   UND would seem to be a great fit for him and the next logical step up.  

Very poor previous 2 seasons. It is not good timing due to this.

18 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

Good posts and thoughts on salary. UND needs to raise the bar in compensation, but if its not there, it's not there. Looks like the pool of money budgeted for staff also needs to improve, so there is a lot to catch up with in the/with league schools. 

I dont care if they hire some one for 100, or 200,000 as long as they can put UND back in the top 3rd of the league, year in and year out. To good of a university and overall athletic fan base to be playing AVERAGE among its peers.

It’s “not there” because of misallocation. We all know where the true priorities are, which is a different topic altogether. NDSU, SDSU, and USD have less juggling within their athletic departments. 

Not to say UND still can’t get a serviceable head men’s basketball coach, but he will be grossly underpaid relative to the league standard. I think a good current DII Head Coach - happy with 160k - is the best route. 

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'd place a higher priority on upping the assistant pool and funding for home games than I would getting into a measuring contest with nearby schools on the head coach salary. If the head coach does well and earns a higher salary, then we can revisit his salary.

Hiring a new coach at a low salary is already setting him up to fail; doesn’t allow for revisitation following success if no consistent success to begin with. 

Again, we’ll see just how important salary is to the pool of candidates; definitely a factor. 

As the last posts acknowledge....compensation will most likely play a part in the hiring process...but all the more reason to go with someone who is happy with the salery and understands the total budget situation. Herbst would fit that most likely. As stated before I believe he is the best candidate with what he brings to the table....been at UND, been a head coach, been in then league, family ties to community, has support from others connected to UND, proven recruiter, and on top that it sounds as he wants the job and is pursuing the spot.

Just now, UofND-Alum said:

As the last posts acknowledge....compensation will most likely play a part in the hiring process...but all the more reason to go with someone who is happy with the salery and understands the total budget situation. Herbst would fit that most likely. As stated before I believe he is the best candidate with what he brings to the table....been at UND, been a head coach, been in then league, family ties to community, has support from others connected to UND, proven recruiter, and on top that it sounds as he wants the job and is pursuing the spot.

What are his family ties to the area?

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Very poor previous 2 seasons. It is not good timing due to this.

Agreed, not good timing at all. A lot of people need to understand that this is a completely different place to recruit to. If we go and hire one of these D2 head coaches then we are basically starting over again. I think we need to seriously look at did they recruiting Summit League all-conference talent, did the players go and play professionally? I feel like we are missing the simple fact that many of these D2 current head coaches we are looking at are at programs that have traditionally been very good. Did they really build the program from the bottom up? Also, i have been following the NSIC and MIAA for some years now, and as of late the last 3-4 years the leagues have been very very top heavy IMO.

If we go with a Division II coach, then I believe that Ben McCollum deserves a serious look.  No D-II coach has accomplished what he's accomplished over the past few years, winning two of the last three national championships, including a perfect 38-0 this season, and 7 of the last 8 conference championships, so he has nothing left to prove at that level.  Plus, he's young (38), is from the Midwest (Iowa), and obviously knows how to recruit, as most of his players are from the Kansas City area, where he has a lot of competition from several other DI and DII schools in the area.  Also, he's a two-time national coach of the year.  Moving up from DII, he would probably get a bump in pay, even with what UND can afford to pay.

• Upvote 3