SiouxSports.com Forum

Game of Thrones: UND Edition.

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article211917984.html

I feel like I've seen this movie before.  But he's not a politician!  :silly:

Yeah, we don't need to be right-sized anymore, that difficult work has been taken care of.  Now we need a builder to work from the new foundation to create a better UND.  Pass on Staben.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

PS - Try to find why the one was relieved as president at Wyoming. Not much out there. A bit concerning I'd say. 

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/education/trustees-quietly-investigated-laurie-nichols-before-uw-president-s-unexplained/article_293872e3-2893-5c88-980c-c856b6893ee3.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

The board-directed inquiry was specifically into Nichols’ conduct, two sources who were contacted as part of the investigation said. One of those sources later confirmed that the inquiry focused on the nature of Nichols’ interactions with people.....

She had come to the university amid a significant budget crisis, a situation further exacerbated by a projection that enrollment would crater. In her three years, she had steered the university through the budget fiasco and turned enrollment around completely.....

Frank Mendicino II, who sits on the board of the UW Foundation, told a reporter in the spring that there was an interaction between Nichols and an employee at the foundation that caused the employee to leave the foundation and may have led to a complaint being filed......

In the weeks after the news that Nichols would not continue became public, the student government proposed two resolutions: one praising Nichols and another criticizing the board.....

O’Toole, the outgoing chair of the Faculty Senate, asked the trustees at a board meeting in the spring if their decision was motivated by sexism. Others on campus asked the same question, privately and to reporters. More people wondered who would be willing to take the UW presidential job in such an environment. Whoever takes the job will be the fifth person to hold the office in seven years

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/education/laurie-nichols-ouster-continues-pattern-of-secrecy-for-uw-trustees/article_96eccd08-93eb-5a85-a1cd-7e4b2c64ec41.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

Trustees are appointed to public service by the governor and are subject to Wyoming’s public meeting laws. But through the broad use of executive sessions — a provision that allows boards to meet in secret under certain clearly defined circumstances — the current trustees have frequently shut the public out of decision-making, obscured their reasoning and debate, and left the students, faculty and staff they govern in the dark about how and why decisions were made.

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So three of the six had controversial exits, seems off to a rocky start. On the flip side, all three were involved with "controversial cuts" which naturally make people unhappy. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't been able to find anything that would make me uncomfortable with Nichols prior experience.  Sounds like she was a good president at UWyoming who turned around enrollment, was liked by the faculty and students, and then was let go by the board without cause.  It does seem the board may have been upset with her for sticking up for the University when the board reallocated a LOT of money from academic departments.

Tikalsky was a finalist for the last U of Idaho opening as well.  He's discussed a bit in this thread on the Vandal's board.  They were disappointed when he withdrew his application. https://247sports.com/college/idaho/board/103901/Contents/presidential-search-5-finalists-129544464/?page=1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

How many members that were on the nickname committee are now on the Presidential search committee?  I see lots of similarities with how this process is going. 

They are probably the members of the committe that were on the last Presidential committe.  We should not be surprised with their selections now.

3 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

They are probably the members of the committe that were on the last Presidential committe.  We should not be surprised with their selections now.

I wonder how many are holdovers from the last committee that are on this one.  I know for sure two of them arent for various reasons

I wouldn't even bring in Staben and Rosowski.  Marley wasn't good enough for Arkansas-Fort Smith, Arkansas Tech, South Dakota School of Mines and Tech, or Idaho State, so I dunno why he'd be good enough for UND.  The current Chancellor heavily influences my opinion of Armacost and other admins from the military in a negative way, maybe he can change that?

Nichols and Tikalsky seem good so far though.

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I see a few Vandal fans who are Still bitter at Staben are responding on twitter.

Good stuff..... but makes you ponder

Here’s the Vandal board.

https://247sports.com/college/idaho/board/103901/Contents/upchuck-a-finalist-137679076/

Staying FBS as an independent would have cost millions more a year with the Kibbie Dome, but those Vandals fans  never understood that.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Game of Thrones: UND Edition.