SiouxSports.com Forum

Game of Thrones: UND Edition.

Frozen4sioux

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Hammersmith said:

Not really trouble. The CU board of regents are made up of elected members that declare party affiliation. A few years ago, the board had a 5-4 republican majority and decided to exercise that majority by forcing a republican (former)politician into the leadership job over a mostly left-leaning university system. After last year's election, the make up of the board has flipped to a 5-4 democrat majority and Kennedy's contract is about to come up for renewal. He can already see the writing on the wall that there is no way the current board is going to renew his contract and he's starting the transition process before they do.

Not saying he was a good or bad administrator at Colorado, just saying it wasn't a scandal that's causing him to leave. His fate was sealed when he was forced into the job over the objections of the system and then the balance of power flipped the other way.

yep...someone causing trouble is another man's virtue signaler

If you read some of the articles in the Denver Post over the past couple of months, you may start to feel bad for MK because you will see that he really has been railroaded.  A chorus of the usual, noisy minority of suspects on campus, and their hymn of 'diversity and equality above all' sung as a thin veil for 'my way is the only way and I've no tolerance for any other viewpoint.'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If you read some of the articles in the Denver Post over the past couple of months, you may start to feel bad for MK because you will see that he really has been railroaded.  A chorus of the usual, noisy minority of suspects on campus, and their hymn of 'diversity and equality above all' sung as a thin veil for 'my way is the only way and I've no tolerance for any other viewpoint.'

When you hear the word Boulder that is all a guy has to know what is going to happen to a former Republican politician when he goes to that town. I don’t know why anyone would want to dealing with that looney box of a university system......

Kennedy had to make the difficult choices for the best of UND and without him who knows where we would be. He was a good president and I wish I had him around when I went to UND.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He ended up being the scapegoat for making tough decisions, some of which had been kicked down the road for a decade or more.
No argument that he could have handled certain situations better, but at least he handled them instead of making them someone else's problems.
I laugh when I see people continue to rip on him, UND is in a lot better position today than it would be if he hadn't been president. 

This.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

It's the world we live in now......one where a 5/4 majority flipping back to 4/5 matters more than actual results in the job. 

• Upvote 1

I can't say I would have made the same decisions he did, but he did well in his short time here.

That being said, he tried to leave a year after he got here, and then he got a job that had political ties and he got bit. What goes around comes around. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I can't say I would have made the same decisions he did, but he did well in his short time here.

That being said, he tried to leave a year after he got here, and then he got a job that had political ties and he got bit. What goes around comes around. 

He was approached through a recruiting firm about UCF is the way I understand it.  In my book, that's not "trying to leave".   I'll take a President that appeals to systems like CU and SUSF over the likes of Kupchella and Kelley every day and twice on Sunday.    

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

He was approached through a recruiting firm about UCF is the way I understand it.  In my book, that's not "trying to leave".   I'll take a President that appeals to systems like CU and SUSF over the likes of Kupchella and Kelley every day and twice on Sunday.    

I was told once (by a church pastor) that the only constituencies that are offended when it's found out that a boss is in mix for another job are those of a church pastor and a college president.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:55 AM, Shawn-O said:

On 5/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, Teeder11 said:

I was told once (by a church pastor) that the only constituencies that are offended when it's found out that a boss is in mix for another job are those of a church pastor and a college president.

I see your points and if he was several years in I would agree. However with only a year or two into the job I would have liked to see some professionalism to offer the school more stability. 

47 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I see your points and if he was several years in I would agree. However with only a year or two into the job I would have liked to see some professionalism to offer the school more stability. 

Loyalty, nobility, and professionalism aside, not many of us would (or could) turn the blind eye to 2X+ salary and a spot in the bigs.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Game of Thrones: UND Edition.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/7195421-UND-terminates-administrator-following-discrimination-case

UND President Andrew Armacost has fired one of the two administrators former UND Police Chief Eric Plummer claimed discriminated against him on the basis of his political beliefs.

In an afternoon letter to the campus community on Tuesday, Sept. 14, Armacost announced that it is in the “best interest of the university to part ways with Dr. Cara Halgren,” the university’s vice president of student affairs. Plummer filed complaints against Halgren and Cassie Gerhardt, an associate dean of students and vice president of student affairs.

• 4 months later...