SiouxSports.com Forum

Game of Thrones: UND Edition.

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Well who doesn't??

But for 365k your asking someone to deal with the walking corpses in the legislature. 1000 bucks a day is not enough to suffer a day in those committees.

Although if it was me I'd just form a force field bubble of committees to deal with the committees.

That's about 5 days every 2 years. 

Yet many of us sports bros would relish in the ability to pay a coach top dollar to attract the best if we could. Would $400-500 be too rich for our blood if we could get a football coach with the right stuff to get us to be a legit perennial Top 10 FCS program with a legit shot to go deep into the playoffs...or a Ben Jacobson type coach who could replicate a UNI type scenario right here at the Betty?  But when it comes to the most important hire for a University, we start to hear about the need to be compensated based on the local household median income. We would never stand for this conservative philosophy coming out of Hyslop. Would we?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yet many of us sports bros would relish in the ability to pay a coach top dollar to attract the best if we could. Would $400-500 be too rich for our blood if we could get a football coach with the right stuff to get us to be a legit perennial Top 10 FCS program with a legit shot to go deep into the playoffs...or a Ben Jacobson type coach who could replicate a UNI type scenario right here at the Betty?  But when it comes to the most important hire for a University, we start to hear about the need to be compensated based on the local household median income. We would never stand for this conservative philosophy coming out of Hyslop. Would we?

Well, we pay our fb coach $180k and our bb coach $150k, so aren't we standing for it? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Well, we pay our fb coach $180k and our bb coach $150k, so aren't we standing for it? 

Some would argue we are settling for what we can get at those salaries. But if we COULD pay more to get better candidates, would we stand for it?

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So this whole "we would get better candidates because the process is close" was a lie?

It really was never closed as the law prescribes. The new law doesn’t mandate that we know who the six currently are at this point. In years past, airport interviews would have been conducted to conceal the identity of the 6 current candidates. But since NDUS opted for on-campus visits, the identies had to be revealed, even though by law, names don’t have to be divulged until 3 finalists are chosen. I am sure the search firm had to let potential candidates know this, and is most likely why sitting presidents such as Shirley didn’t even apply this time. 

I shudder to think how much worse the clown show would have been had it been completely wide open like it was in the past . Gross. 

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Shirley, on paper  doesn't have the academic and research background for the job.  That's why he is at Minot St.

The PhD granting school matters so much, as it should be an AAU school.  Granted, Shirley went to grad school at Harvard, but in education, not in a real science.

Shirley, regardless of what's on his CV, would be a better option than any of the six to make the list.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Apathy? General disgust with the process? Or because it's hidden behind a paywall?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4767677-Robert-Marley-first-UND-president-candidate-meets-with-faculty

I can't really fault the process, but the results were less than stellar.  If I were king for a day, I thank the applicants for their time, reopen the search, and tell Shirley it's his if he wants it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I can't really fault the process, but the results were less than stellar.  If I were king for a day, I thank the applicants for their time, reopen the search, and tell Shirley it's his if he wants it.

This.....^^^^

Bob Marley was less than impressive from what I heard.

3 minutes ago, westsidesioux said:

I’m curious to know how people have arrived to their conclusions on the 6 candidates?

On how they were chose as the final six or how they shouldn't be even involved in this process at this stage?

https://www.usafa.af.mil/News/Article/1964069/academy-celebrates-military-academic-career-of-former-dean-armacost-at-retireme/

From the article:

Armacost was more than just “popular” as the Academy’s leading academic. His low-key charisma, egalitarian spirit and concern for cadets and their education was esteemed by staff and cadets. His commander’s calls typically began with several minutes of exuberant cheers from cadets and faculty alike.

“Whenever he’s announced somewhere with me, I’m always humbled by the roar of applause he gets,” Academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria said with a laugh during the ceremony. “General Armacost is beloved by cadets and faculty.”

UND needs someone like this!

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Shirley, on paper  doesn't have the academic and research background for the job.  That's why he is at Minot St.

The PhD granting school matters so much, as it should be an AAU school.  Granted, Shirley went to grad school at Harvard, but in education, not in a real science.

And we just kicked the last guy from Minot State off campus ....as bad as he was at just being an offensive Coordinator I think we should wait another 20 years before we let another one on....

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Game of Thrones: UND Edition.