Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fader

Shaw's gone.

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

A coach isn’t going to fix the power play. The players have to. 

Im sorry, but did people miss the personnel who was on our power play? Come on. Of course it sucked. 

I find it hard to believe we had bottom 10 NCAA talent last year. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I find it hard to believe we had bottom 10 NCAA talent last year. 

Of course not. But in the NCHC our forward talent compared to other teams in our league is absolutely near the bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought,  Karl knows more about how scary a power play line can look than anyone else?   He has certainly faced them from the danger zone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Outstanding goalie with coaching experience. Also one of the brighter players to go through the program. College coaching experience. A smart goalie, like a QB or middle LB in FB or point guard in BB should be communicating and guiding his teammates at his end of the ice. He has to be able to communicate and lead if he is one of the best. As an assistant you better be paying attention to all positions and what the team schemes are offensively and defensively and what works and doesn’t work on PP and PK. If you play college hockey and don’t understand what each position player is supposed to be doing on each shift and during every situation, then you aren’t going to develop to your full potential. I would expect he has been developing these abilities and his leadership abilities. At this level it is no longer something as stupid as 30 min “bag skate”.  I predict he will do a great job and someday be a head coach if that is his passion. 

I worry he might be too nice of a guy, its one thing to be a volunteer assistant but an assistant coach is going to require a little more tough love. Hopefully, he has what it takes to find that balance. Best of luck Karl, I sure hope you can help out in positive ways and compliment the other coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

A coach isn’t going to fix the power play. The players have to. 

Im sorry, but did people miss the personnel who was on our power play? Come on. Of course it sucked. 

Adding Michaud to our PP bumps it up 5% automatically.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

beat me to it...a former goalie gonna show the boys how to score on the power play...should've hired hrkac.

He certainly couldn't do any worse than the previous coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put way more of the blame on Berry than Shaw for last years power play, because I think the construction of the forward group was mostly to blame. I mean Johnson spent time on the PP and he might be the worst forward playing D1 hockey. Even though I feel Shaw kind of got thrown under the bus, clearly a move had to be made. I really like the KG hire as does everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PP is all about personnel. Shaw had the PP during the '15-'16 season and it was lights out due to CBS line, Stecher, Poolman, LaDue, and others. When your team's highest goal scorer is a forward with 10 goals, of course the PP is going to be awful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 777sioux777 said:

PP is all about personnel. Shaw had the PP during the '15-'16 season and it was lights out due to CBS line, Stecher, Poolman, LaDue, and others. When your team's highest goal scorer is a forward with 10 goals, of course the PP is going to be awful. 

15-16 finished 4th in the NCHC on the power play.  A team with future NHLers should be way better than middle of the pack in their conference.  The PP problem goes back way before Shaw.  Only time the PP is decent is when they have high end talent, not because of the system.  Some teams produce on the PP even with average talent. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 777sioux777 said:

PP is all about personnel. Shaw had the PP during the '15-'16 season and it was lights out due to CBS line, Stecher, Poolman, LaDue, and others. When your team's highest goal scorer is a forward with 10 goals, of course the PP is going to be awful. 

The PP that year was 19%, hardly lights out. The 17-18 team’s PP conversion was better (21%) and they didn’t even make the tourney and everyone thought the PP sucked then too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Minnesota scores on 9 out of every 10 power plays, while North Dakota converts on 1 out of every 100.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Minnesota scores on 9 out of every 10 power plays, while North Dakota converts on 1 out of every 100.  

If by Minnesota you mean St Cloud.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Minnesota scores on 9 out of every 10 power plays, while North Dakota converts on 1 out of every 100.  

In the second half of last year it sure seemed like it. But I think they lost 4 of the 5 forwards they skated out on PP1 so it will be interesting to see if anyone can pick up the slack there. They had no D to quarterback and that's a big ask of a freshman D.

EDIT: That said after looking it up, overall the NCHC had better PK teams than the B1G with four teams in the bottom 15 in the country. Minnesota very well could have been loading up on PP goals against bad teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Minnesota scores on 9 out of every 10 power plays, while North Dakota converts on 1 out of every 100.  

Yes, SCSU, U of Minn and UMD all seem to convert on a high percent regardless of personal.  UND has looked lost of the PP for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Yes, SCSU, U of Minn and UMD all seem to convert on a high percent regardless of personal.  UND has looked lost of the PP for a long time.

Not necessarily, Minnesota was 15% in 2017-18. About as bad as ours last year, so it’s not completely a given. I’m more curious to know the PP goals scored versus even strength goals scored for some of these teams with high PP conversion percentages. I know sometimes it’s live and die by the PP for some teams.

I want a good PP, but still be able to score goals 5 x 5 too. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The PP that year was 19%, hardly lights out. The 17-18 team’s PP conversion was better (21%) and they didn’t even make the tourney and everyone thought the PP sucked then too. 

I should've checked the stats before going out on a limb like that! I guess that 15'-16' proved then that you don't need a good PP to win a championship, granted you have enough talent! We can't control the PP issue, or anything else the team does for that matter, so I'm not gonna spend time worrying about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 777sioux777 said:

I should've checked the stats before going out on a limb like that! I guess that 15'-16' proved then that you don't need a good PP to win a championship, granted you have enough talent! We can't control the PP issue, or anything else the team does for that matter, so I'm not gonna spend time worrying about it.  

Additionally Denver went to the Frozen Four this last season with a PP just barely ahead of ours (ranked 47th in the country) at about 15% conversion. If our season had gone well maybe it’s not as big of a deal, but it’s been a point of contention for a while so hard to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Minnesota scores on 9 out of every 10 power plays, while North Dakota converts on 1 out of every 100.  

I’ve always like how Minnie get the opposing team in such a small area. I noticed another team doing it too this last season but I can’t remember the team it was, maybe either St.Cloud or was it Mankato?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

I’ve always like how Minnie get the opposing team in such a small area. I noticed another team doing it too this last season but I can’t remember the team it was, maybe either St.Cloud or was it Mankato?

I don’t know UND’s or St Cloud’s HDC per attempt either 5v5 or PP but based on all the bad “puck luck” I’d guess ours isn’t good. That’s something coaching can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the hawk logo ever been worn by a hockey coach on the UND bench? Karl might be the guy to start that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Has the hawk logo ever been worn by a hockey coach on the UND bench? Karl might be the guy to start that.

How about he start with trying to make the PP run at a better efficiency than 3.07%?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has a list of those invited to interview been posted anywhere? It is my understanding that the names of those who apply are now kept in confidential. I wonder if Akil Adams threw his hat in the ring again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tbone said:

Has a list of those invited to interview been posted anywhere? It is my understanding that the names of those who apply are now kept in confidential. I wonder if Akil Adams threw his hat in the ring again. 

Ulmer, Smaby, Charlie Burggraaf applied for sure. Smaby had an interview. Not sure on the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...