SiouxSports.com Forum

Shaw's gone.

Fader

I think Herter is a pipe dream, but he is my guy.  I don't think they'll bring in Smaby quite yet, give him some time in a junior league where he proves he can run a program.  

Maybe:  KG, Schneekloth, Mannino.....

I didn't even know who Matt Shaw was before they brought him in to be honest.  Could be a dark horse they have their eye on. 

As much as I think something needed to be done, I wish they could have given him a way to save face and say that he enjoyed his time here with his son, but he wanted to explore other avenues.  I hope he takes good memories from here in the Championship season. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

As much as I think something needed to be done, I wish they could have given him a way to save face and say that he enjoyed his time here with his son, but he wanted to explore other avenues.  I hope he takes good memories from here in the Championship season. 

Maybe they did?

35 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Guentzel got screwed over for sure, but Sandelin is gonna get NHL offers soon. Does Herter bleed green? That's our only shot.

Jason Herter essentially spent 3 years in Grand Forks.  He's spent 8 years on the UMD coaching staff.  No way he leaves UMD in a lateral move.  

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Jason Herter essentially spent 3 years in Grand Forks.  He's spent 8 years on the UMD coaching staff.  No way he leaves UMD in a lateral move.  

It’s not even lateral. It’d be a demotion. Herter is the Associate Head Coach at UMD. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

It’s not even lateral. It’d be a demotion. Herter is the Associate Head Coach at UMD. 

Duh, I knew that.  It's funny how things work.  Blais is always viewed as one of "us" when there was a time that he was one of "them" with the Gophers.  Not everyone hangs on to their glory days of college.  The only way Herter would leave UMD would be to come to UND as the head coach.  Brett Larson didn't bat an eye over leaving his alma mater (UMD) when the St Cloud State head coaching job opened up.  You have to take advantage of these opportunities when they come at you.  

I'd like to see the search cast a wide net this time, beyond people that are already close friends or alumni.   I'd like the net cast wide, in the same way we search for on ice talent who wants to play at a premiere program, coaching hires should be "best available".   Here's hoping there's been a lot of behind the scenes work over the past couple years, that can be leveraged now that there's an opening.