Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

Recommended Posts

On 2/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, burd said:

Duluth isn't the only Minnesota team looking dangerous.

 

4 hours ago, mattim said:

Gophers, Beavers and Mavericks!

Throw dangerous UND in the group as sharing the same soil, at least at the bottom of the Red River. 

Five worthy teams, but take heed to the past teammates: Sandelin & Berry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:

So with most teams leaving the WCHA what happens with the MacNaughton? :love: 

Michigan Tech owns the MacNaughton, so it goes with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, southpaw said:

Michigan Tech owns the MacNaughton, so it goes with them.

They are the trustee yes but if the wcha is no more maybe it will no longer be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

They are the trustee yes but if the wcha is no more maybe it will no longer be used.

Keep your eye on ebay and Houghton area craigslist.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new CCHA, I'm really curious what will happen to the two Alaska schools and UAH.  All 3 are outliers for travel and now without a conference.  Also, with lack of competitiveness/money/attendance in recent history, they're not going to have conferences banging on their doors with invites to join.  Drop to DIII?  Drop the program all together? 

If there's been news on this, I've missed it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

With the new CCHA, I'm really curious what will happen to the two Alaska schools and UAH.  All 3 are outliers for travel and now without a conference.  Also, with lack of competitiveness/money/attendance in recent history, they're not going to have conferences banging on their doors with invites to join.  Drop to DIII?  Drop the program all together? 

If there's been news on this, I've missed it...

Would Atlantic take them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to break it to people, but this was the inevitable conclusion when the Big Ten/NCHC/WCHA/CCHA  power consolidation took place. There was zero possibility that 6 D2 schools and Bowling Green could prop up the Alaskas and UAH with the instability that they have. Yes, the Alaska schools partially subsidized travel for the other schools, but with the oil boom gone, the state budget of Alaska is failing and athletics are going to be hurt at universities. All of the potential to have big paydays from large D1 institutiions (and UND in hockey) are gone for these schools and that was able to prop them up for a long time. That's gone and if the larger schools weren't willing to step in, this was going to be the result.

Look, I'm not blaming the Big Ten or NCHC for what they did. I'm saddened by it, but I don't necessarily blame them. Many of the WCHA schools were their own worst enemy. They didn't/don't make the financial commitment needed and the top schools got sick of it and said goodbye. It spurred on some schools like Mankato and Bowling Green and Tech to make some bigger investments, but it was too late. Any facade that "college hockey works together for the good of college hockey is gone". Once the initial split happened, it was not going to be possible for the smaller budget schools to continue the way it was.

As for what happens going forward, I suspect at least one of the Alaska schools will shut down their program within 3 years. UAA has already broken bylaws of the conference (without approval from the other schools, mind you) and moved into an arena that has capacity of less than 2000 and UAF is considering doing the same thing. Those type of changes signify unhealthy programs. UAH has an outside shot of being invited to the group of 7 as they have approval on a new arena, but we've heard that song and dance from them before. Until there are shovels in the ground, I'm not sure anyone should believe anything that's being said. Atlantic Hockey will absolutely not take the Alaskas. They are a bus league and trips to Alaska would decidedly not be a bus trip. MAYBE they would take Alabama, but that's also doubtful as that's not really a bus trip either.

It's sad. The one thing that all of the conference shuffling has made crystal clear is that it's every school for themselves. It's not necessarily right or wrong, it just is. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bale31 said:

I hate to break it to people, but this was the inevitable conclusion when the Big Ten/NCHC/WCHA/CCHA  power consolidation took place. There was zero possibility that 6 D2 schools and Bowling Green could prop up the Alaskas and UAH with the instability that they have. Yes, the Alaska schools partially subsidized travel for the other schools, but with the oil boom gone, the state budget of Alaska is failing and athletics are going to be hurt at universities. All of the potential to have big paydays from large D1 institutiions (and UND in hockey) are gone for these schools and that was able to prop them up for a long time. That's gone and if the larger schools weren't willing to step in, this was going to be the result.

Look, I'm not blaming the Big Ten or NCHC for what they did. I'm saddened by it, but I don't necessarily blame them. Many of the WCHA schools were their own worst enemy. They didn't/don't make the financial commitment needed and the top schools got sick of it and said goodbye. It spurred on some schools like Mankato and Bowling Green and Tech to make some bigger investments, but it was too late. Any facade that "college hockey works together for the good of college hockey is gone". Once the initial split happened, it was not going to be possible for the smaller budget schools to continue the way it was.

As for what happens going forward, I suspect at least one of the Alaska schools will shut down their program within 3 years. UAA has already broken bylaws of the conference (without approval from the other schools, mind you) and moved into an arena that has capacity of less than 2000 and UAF is considering doing the same thing. Those type of changes signify unhealthy programs. UAH has an outside shot of being invited to the group of 7 as they have approval on a new arena, but we've heard that song and dance from them before. Until there are shovels in the ground, I'm not sure anyone should believe anything that's being said. Atlantic Hockey will absolutely not take the Alaskas. They are a bus league and trips to Alaska would decidedly not be a bus trip. MAYBE they would take Alabama, but that's also doubtful as that's not really a bus trip either.

It's sad. The one thing that all of the conference shuffling has made crystal clear is that it's every school for themselves. It's not necessarily right or wrong, it just is. 

UAA was an independent from 1988 to 1994.  If they have to shut the program down, it's on them.  Especially after they recently built a 110 million dollar basketball-only arena.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any team leaves it would be Miami for Mankato. I think the BGSU guy posts on here was over on Western Michigan’s csnbbs saying Bergeron wasn’t happy about Miami going to the NCHC and Western Michigan said no. Also Mankato will leave if the NCHC comes calling. I don’t think Miami will leave the NCHC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Austin Peay U outside Nashville and High Point U are constructing new arenas for hockey.  Liberty and Lindenwood have wanted DI hockey for years.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if it happens in few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good camera work and Yost Arena seem incompatible. I bet I’ve seen the camera next to the main camera three times in five minutes. #BTN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston College taking Northeastern out behind the woodshed tonight...sheesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Western Michigan scored 2 goals in 29 sec and added another all in 3rd to go up 5-3. 5:40 left 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Western Michigan scored 2 goals in 29 sec and added another all in 3rd to go up 5-3. 5:40 left 

WM 5-3 final 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think sandlin was too happy...final shot of him leaving the bench....."F me!" He says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1972 said:

Don't think sandlin was too happy...final shot of him leaving the bench....."F me!" He says

What does he expect?  That’s what happens when you live and die with goon tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvard beats Clarkson 5-2

Cornell beats Yale 4-0

Merrimack beats Providence 2-0

Maine beats Vermont 6-1

BC beats Northeastern 10-1

UConn beats BU 4-3 OT

Lowell beats UMass 3-2

BGSU beats Ferris State 6-1

LSSU beats Northern Michigan 6-1

Mankato beats UAH 10-0

Bemidji beats UAA 2-0

Western Michigan beats Duluth 5-3

Denver beats Miami 7-3

Omaha beats CC 5-0

Notre Dame beats Michigan 2-1

Ohio State beats Michigan State 1-0

Minnesota and Penn State tied 3-3 OT

Wisconsin beats Arizona State 7-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornell beats Union 3-2 OT

Maine and Vermont tied 0-0 OT

Merrimack beats Providence 3-2

UConn beats BU 6-1

UMass beats Lowell 5-3

UAA leads Bemidji 2-1

Mankato beats UAH 8-0

BGSU beats Ferris State 3-1

Northern Michigan beats LSSU 5-1

Duluth beats Western Michigan 2-1

Denver leads Miami 5-0

CC beats Omaha 3-2

Penn State beats Minnesota 3-2

Ohio State beats Michigan State 4-2

Notre Dame beats Michigan 3-0

Wisconsin beats Arizona State 6-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Man, ASU had three 5min major penalties tonight against UW.
That's a rough night.

Par for the course for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Man, ASU had three 5min major penalties tonight against UW.
That's a rough night.

and a player leave the bench during fight so he can't play in NCAA if they make it.  Last year they had a player suspended for the first round game as well.  Their regular season is now over and they sit and wait a long time to see if make NCAAs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...