SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cratter

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

51 minutes ago, jodcon said:

Duluth gets all the breaks. gfhockey told be the refs were related to Sandy.

Duluth earns some of their breaks as well.  Let's give credit where credit is due.  Don't want to be like some of the gopher fans that were saying how cheap we were when we won the National Championship.  Don't know where they got that out of the game, but I guess they are looking through a different perspective.  Duluth just plays well when the chips are on the line in  games and in the tournament.  That said, I would hope that a bad bounce or two or an untimely penalty down the stretch in one of the one goal games will eventually turn against them. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Duluth earns some of their breaks as well.  Let's give credit where credit is due.  Don't want to be like some of the gopher fans that were saying how cheap we were when we won the National Championship.  Don't know where they got that out of the game, but I guess they are looking through a different perspective.  Duluth just plays well when the chips are on the line in  games and in the tournament.  

You almost have to think of them as a tournament team lately (meaning they rise to the occasion) which really isn't a feel-good thing for me. Or probably anybody else.

I have to give some credit to UMD.  The funny thing is, I find them far from dominant.  When you watch a game, you don't come away thinking they were a powerhouse.  Through two periods of their NCHC final against SCSU, SC looked far superior and should have been ahead about 5-1.  But there was UMD with the trophy a few hours later.  I didn't see the BGSU game, but Duluth was down with four minutes to go, and they managed to win.  And most of the game against Providence seemed like a pretty equal matchup.  Then you look up, there are ten minutes left, Duluth has the lead, and Providence can't even buy a decent chance the rest of the way.  For as much as people wished UND scored more, Duluth has won these last two years without scoring.  Or, more accurately, by scoring just barely enough.  Compare them, for instance, to the 2016 Sioux team, which dominated down the stretch, winning most of its NCAA games handily.  Duluth dominates no one, but they are great at one thing, keeping the puck out of their net, which leads to being great at the only thing, winning.  This isn't a dig at UND's coaches, who I support, but Duluth is really well coached.  And they've benefited from decades of good fortune being shoved into a couple year span. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jk said:

I have to give some credit to UMD.  The funny thing is, I find them far from dominant.  When you watch a game, you don't come away thinking they were a powerhouse.  Through two periods of their NCHC final against SCSU, SC looked far superior and should have been ahead about 5-1.  But there was UMD with the trophy a few hours later.  I didn't see the BGSU game, but Duluth was down with four minutes to go, and they managed to win.  And most of the game against Providence seemed like a pretty equal matchup.  Then you look up, there are ten minutes left, Duluth has the lead, and Providence can't even buy a decent chance the rest of the way.  For as much as people wished UND scored more, Duluth has won these last two years without scoring.  Or, more accurately, by scoring just barely enough.  Compare them, for instance, to the 2016 Sioux team, which dominated down the stretch, winning most of its NCAA games handily.  Duluth dominates no one, but they are great at one thing, keeping the puck out of their net, which leads to being great at the only thing, winning.  This isn't a dig at UND's coaches, who I support, but Duluth is really well coached.  And they've benefited from decades of good fortune being shoved into a couple year span. 

For sure, there isn't a forward that they have that strikes the fear in you, or that you say is a sure thing NHL top six guy, but they do what they have to do to win.

6 minutes ago, jk said:

2-1

2-1

2-1

2-1

2-1

3-1...empty net goals

4-1 2 empty net goals

I just lost all respect for UMASS head coach:  "It’s frustrating because the game to that point where he thought he had to defend himself,” UMass head coach Greg Carvel said. “The kid was coming at him so he got his elbow up to protect himself. "  That is pure bull.  The kid leaped into the air to be sure his elbow got the head.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxman said:

I just lost all respect for UMASS head coach:  "It’s frustrating because the game to that point where he thought he had to defend himself,” UMass head coach Greg Carvel said. “The kid was coming at him so he got his elbow up to protect himself. "  That is pure bull.  The kid leaped into the air to be sure his elbow got the head.

Credit the quote to GOON.

1 hour ago, Washburn Sioux said:

The UMASS coach stated that Trivigno was just defending himself...

Surely, he cannot be serious!

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I've been at peace with UND's season since Canisius.

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That was the handwriting on the wall. 

2yguri.jpg

It's sports and things happen, but given the way they've played in big games, it would be shocking to see Duluth lose tomorrow.  

UMASS has a couple studs, a great powerplay but Denver was the better team.....clearly. Duluth should mop the floor with this team.

I don't get to see UMD play in person like a lot of posters here, but I'm OK with them winning it.   Rather see a new team get a banner,  but UMD is a little like a brother we fight and compete with all the time.   Keeping the NC in the family would be very cool too.   The only bad outcome here, as far as I'm concerned, is that it's not us. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux90 said:

UMASS has a couple studs, a great powerplay but Denver was the better team.....clearly. Duluth should mop the floor with this team.

Minnesota thought the same way about Union College a few years ago too.

Hope UMD represents the NCHC well and brings home the prize....Read in the Strib this morning....(may be in the Fargo Heralt' in a couple days) that of the  6 western All Americans....4 played for MN based colleges....3 from NCHC....again good to see....

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Minnesota thought the same way about Union College a few years ago too.

So what’s your prediction?

Good teams get the bounces.  Duluth gets them and rolls with them. 

-Three years ago in Fargo an Ohio State guy has the entire open net to shoot into in OT, yet shoots it directly into Miska's stick, the one square foot of net that was covered of the 24 square feet.  They win in OT.

-The Natty last year.  The right six teams lose, they make it in.  In the title game Notre Dame's lock down goalie gives up a pee wee type goal and they lock it down and win 2-1.

-This year, Bowling Green has them on the ropes up 1-0 late. They then proceed to score on themselves, Duluth wins in OT.

All credit to them for using those bounces to their advantage, but show me a team that has had better luck the past three years in the postseason. 

Duluth 5.....UMASS 2

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good teams get the bounces.  Duluth gets them and rolls with them. 

-Three years ago in Fargo an Ohio State guy has the entire open net to shoot into in OT, yet shoots it directly into Miska's stick, the one square foot of net that was covered of the 24 square feet.  They win in OT.

-The Natty last year.  The right six teams lose, they make it in.  In the title game Notre Dame's lock down goalie gives up a pee wee type goal and they lock it down and win 2-1.

-This year, Bowling Green has them on the ropes up 1-0 late. They then proceed to score on themselves, Duluth wins in OT.

All credit to them for using those bounces to their advantage, but show me a team that has had better luck the past three years in the postseason. 

Duluth 5.....UMASS 2

With luck like this, it’s clear to me now what has happened to Duluth since 2010-2011...

...Scott Sandelin has sold his soul to the devil.

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

With luck like this, it’s clear to me now what has happened to Duluth since 2010-2011...

...Scott Sandelin has sold his soul to the devil.

Sandelin sold before that 2011 Frozen Four, hence why UND who dominated everyone else that year and couldn't score on a walk-on goalie. 

I didn’t realize that Hunter Shepard is a 23 year old junior.  Great for him that his wife and kids can come to Buffalo and cheer him on!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Yes, that comment is Bravo Sierra. I can't believe anyone can make that comment with a straight face.