SiouxSports.com Forum

ITS OVER!!!

AJS

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Good to see ya swami. :)

About your Point 3: I've long said I'm tired of seeing hockey become soccer. Games should be decided on talent, not a bad bounce off the glass. (A mighty sweep-check ability is not a talent.) Bad bounces will happen, but in today's 5 total goals per game world (compared to the 9 total goals per game world of the 20-30 years ago) that bad luck goal is 20% of the game (1/5) and not 11% (1/9) as it was in the past. Again, I want to see talent, not bad bounces, win games. 

The focus on a nominal talent (a mean sweep-check) has negated offensive talent and thereby exacerbated the luck (bad bounce) part of the game's influence. 

Couldn't agree more with this. There's a big problem with luck beating talent and I personally think the increasing size of goalies and their pads are to blame. They've made it so that the difference between having a good goalie and a bad goalie has been greatly diminished. This has also led to the majority of shots being stopped and a far greater percentage of goals being the result of puck luck, like you said. Everything I've read said the answer isn't smaller goalie pads however, it's actually larger nets since the physical size of goaltenders is far bigger now as well. It sounds kinda crazy, but I've thought they should try it for awhile now 

22 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Have we peaked? Will we ever (will any other college team) dominate anymore? I mean dominate every year - year after year? Are we in a new normal?

New normal....diluted talent pool being spread out over many new programs.  Other options now, besides Nodak, MN, Wisconsin, and Boston.

38 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

No Seniors? I can't believe I just read that. Matt Frattin,Evan Trupp, Brad Malone, Chay Genoway, Danny Kristo, Corbin Knight, Carter Rowney, Steph Pattyn and many more may disagree. I swear I get stupider every time I come here. 

I agree 1000%. I don't recall but is there a first rounder that has stayed 4 years?  Finley maybe?

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not surprising. The team just wasn’t very entertaining most of the time. I can’t remember ever being less interested in a UND hockey team. 

totally agree.  I don't doubt the boys gave it there all, but the product was not entertaining.  Like I said in a different post.  The Jacques Lemaire era of the Wild made it so I can never be a fan...as much as I love Parise and as much of a regional loyalty I feel.  I cheer for the Jets over the Wild.

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, this is no different than high school sports ("all about teaching life lessons" and "all about the relationships"). (sarcasm) :silly::angry::(

This mentality has infected all of our programs. And as long as it is in place, we will win nothing of significance ever again. #hadenoughyet?

I don't think that's accurate. Nor was I saying that I was happy about this season's results in any sport frankly. Nor was i super happy about any of the contract extensions coaches have recently received. But let's be realistic here. The school is not in a position to buy out a coach 3 years after he won a natty. The school is broke and I've lost count of how many sports and academic programs were cut by Schafer and Kennedy. The best we can do is hope Berry turns things around next year.

Good to hear from Puck Swami again.  Always a true gentleman and a fan of the game, with usually quite accurate observations about the state of things.  The quality of USCHO dropped immensely the day he felt he had to stop posting there.

With respect to his current post, I agree with pretty much everything he wrote, with one addition.  When the postscript to this year's UND team is written, we'll realize that the team fell short for one reason, and one reason only.  It performed very poorly on special teams.  If you plug in the special teams numbers of say a team like UMD, we would have had an additional 14 goals scored on the power play and given up 9 fewer goals on the penalty kill.  A 23 goal differential over the course of 37 games, most of which seemed like one goal affairs, would have been huge.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I don't think that's accurate. Nor was I saying that I was happy about this season's results in any sport frankly. Nor was i super happy about any of the contract extensions coaches have recently received. But let's be realistic here. The school is not in a position to buy out a coach 3 years after he won a natty. The school is broke and I've lost count of how many sports and academic programs were cut by Schafer and Kennedy. The best we can do is hope Berry turns things around next year.

I don't think Berry should lose his job right now. I think he should get two more years to turn this around. If he can't, then he needs to go. We cannot accept becoming a mid-major in hockey.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We wanted the X and now we are not there. Hopefully there is a good turnout.

That doesn't change the fact that the move back to the X was needed and long overdue.  "We" aren't the only fans who would prefer that hockey be played there as opposed to Target Center.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2