SiouxSports.com Forum

ITS OVER!!!

AJS

5 hours ago, crb1 said:

I can accept a bad season or two but what is really hard to accept is the lack of talent we seem to be missing. There really is no excuse for that. 

Or maybe the Sioux were graced with an incredible amount of talent and that run has been impacted by the fact that parity is influencing where the talent chooses to go.

I don't follow hockey as closely as a lot of you on the sight and by far no expert but just quickly looking at the statistics is were nearly a goal under or more per game. I also look at our offensive production from penalties were near the bottom on penalty conversion for offense in the  conference or that in the nation. Defensively it appears were in the top tier on defensive numbers for the nation.  The question that needs to be answered is it talent or is the coaching to get talent out of the players we do have. If this one year blip on for UND I would say they would just need to refocus and try to make some small changes. The problem here is we have three year trend and its getting worse each year. If I was Brad Berry I would be looking for somebody outside for some real hard opinions on what's wrong with the UND program. I wouldn't want it sugar coated and if has to do with me as coach I would want to know what I am doing wrong so I can start correcting or getting handle on what your not doing as a coach. One the first I would ask is Dave Hakstol I would think he could give opinion on whats happening and then I would go some of the NHL scouts I would bet they could give you some insight on your players or even your coaching. When you have back to back years where your putting more shots on goal and yet getting poorer results it leads me to think you have coaching philosophy that other teams are figuring out and defending you so that you don't score. It may as simple as tendency of type of shot your teaching your players to take and where from. But I think its gut check time for coaches of UND and they better start looking  or number of them might be looking for work near future if things don't change .

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Interesting stat.  69 fewer goals than the natty season.  

#process

Again if you aren't going to be good at least be entertaining. Right now this team and program are neither. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Or maybe the Sioux were graced with an incredible amount of talent and that run has been impacted by the fact that parity is influencing where the talent chooses to go.

That may be true......but UND can still offer a facility and a near NHL like fan following that should still make a difference.  Parity has also affected college basketball in the sense that most teams can be competitive on any given night....but at the end of the season you still see the Duke, Florida's, and Kentucky's of the world. 

8 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I completely agree.  After the Blaiser's time, including the Big Ralph being built, we pretty much had the pick of the litter for quite some time.  Other teams have caught up and passed us as far as recruiting goes.  He's hoping all our juniors come back next year and that underclassmen continue to develop.  Other NCHC teams will be losing a bunch. 

12 hours ago, tnt said:

Goals scored have gone down each year under Berry. 162, 127, 117, to 93 this year.  The further away from the Hakstol era, the worse things are getting.  That is a pretty significant decline to just blame on puck luck.

No wonder I’ve been dozing off during games lately. I thought I was just getting old. ;)

8 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Sioux/Hawk Nation...... Just wanted to add a positive comment following the tough series loss last night.

I'm a Denver parent of a UND football player.....We put on our kelly green and attended Saturday night.... I'm not aware how well it came across on the streamed broadcast, but if you weren't there you'd have been SO very impressed with both the size and volume of the Dakota faithful...... On several occasions we "owned" the arena with the "LET'S GO SIOUX - LET'S GO SIOUX"..... It was our first UND hockey game.... and got goose bumps as we sat in the end section with that Sea of Green.  Our hearts went out to the Seniors as we watched the finality of their last season set in  (as they consoled each other on the ice at games end)..... The bar is set high with UND hockey...I get that, but there should be acknowledgement for how hard they battled last night. Guts and heart.  We left disappointed but PROUD of where our son goes to school.....and SO excited for 2019  Fightin' Hawk football !!!    

Congrats to UND Hockey this season........... you have 2 new fans for life.   

Thanks for a great post!  I almost got goose bumps reading it!  I'm with you looking forward to 2019 Fighting Hawks football!  Hope your son has a great season!

Source: http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1819/teamstats/ndkm 

SOG: 1187 v 851; outshot opponents by more than 300 shots
Goals: 93 v 90; but only have 3 more goals on those 300 shots 

The NCHC only numbers are 749 v 595 and 59 v 58; again 150 more shots but only 1 more goal 

But here's more disturbing to me:
Opponents are getting 0.921 goaltending against UND; UND is only getting 0.894. Great defense, great goaltending that says not. That says UND wasn't getting the saves it needed. 

So yeah, the offense wasn't there (or was inept at shooting) but don't think the defense doesn't have some things to look at. 

• Upvote 1

Mentioning shots, how many of the shots were from outside of the prime shooting area (dots in and down). 

I'll let you outshoot me 2:1 all day if all your shots are coming from the periphery so my goalie can see and set up. 

• Upvote 1

(Un)Special Teams. 

All games: Kill at 0.799, PP at 0.142 
NCHC: Kill at 0.800; PP at 0.124

A kill percent at the end of a season that starts with a 7?
A power play percent in the teens, and the LOW teens at that. No, wait, the NCHC PP percent wasn't even in the teens

Those numbers are flat embarrassing.

The one positive I can see happening about missing the tournament 2 years in a row, is it will make these guys humble. Hopefully they will realize that it’s not a cakewalk to get to the tournament every year and realize the importance of each and every game. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, yzerman19 said:

It was fun though, and thats why I try to watch.  I used to hold on tight.  The last two years have allowed me to not care as much.  That's good for me...not sure what it means for Sioux hockey

This resonates so much with me. I used to actually get bummed out when the boys would lose. After the past two seasons it just doesn't impact me as much. Maybe that is getting older, maybe that is from watching boring hockey most nights. Unfortunately, it also harder to get into the games when watching them.

Poor state for the program, and hopefully they can turn it around and start making runs on a regular basis again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mentioning shots, how many of the shots were from outside of the prime shooting area (dots in and down). 

I'll let you outshoot me 2:1 all day if all your shots are coming from the periphery so my goalie can see and set up. 

All we did was warm up goalies all year long. It’s no wonder they seemed “hot”. I’d rather our guys make an extra pass or two or, gasp, try and dangle someone to get a higher quality scoring opportunity instead of flipping it to the chest at first daylight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I don't follow hockey as closely as a lot of you on the sight and by far no expert but just quickly looking at the statistics is were nearly a goal under or more per game. I also look at our offensive production from penalties were near the bottom on penalty conversion for offense in the  conference or that in the nation. Defensively it appears were in the top tier on defensive numbers for the nation.  The question that needs to be answered is it talent or is the coaching to get talent out of the players we do have. If this one year blip on for UND I would say they would just need to refocus and try to make some small changes. The problem here is we have three year trend and its getting worse each year. If I was Brad Berry I would be looking for somebody outside for some real hard opinions on what's wrong with the UND program. I wouldn't want it sugar coated and if has to do with me as coach I would want to know what I am doing wrong so I can start correcting or getting handle on what your not doing as a coach. One the first I would ask is Dave Hakstol I would think he could give opinion on whats happening and then I would go some of the NHL scouts I would bet they could give you some insight on your players or even your coaching. When you have back to back years where your putting more shots on goal and yet getting poorer results it leads me to think you have coaching philosophy that other teams are figuring out and defending you so that you don't score. It may as simple as tendency of type of shot your teaching your players to take and where from. But I think its gut check time for coaches of UND and they better start looking  or number of them might be looking for work near future if things don't change .

This is the million dollar question - can and will Coach Berry take a hard and honest look at his program and make the necessary changes?  I've said it before - many very intelligent and knowledgeable coaches are totally unable or unwilling to change their precious "systems" - Football Bubba cost us at least last season and probably more by refusing to take an honest look at the offense and the OC.  I hope Coach Berry is willing to make the hard decisions but am not overly optimistic - so far it's been just more of the same (see power play).  Maybe a strong AD can help.  Like you mentioned, there are many people in the Sioux family that would help.  In addition, he really really needs to up his recruiting - there is absolutely no way St. Clown or Duluth should be out-recruiting us and skating circles around us - this is not just a one year anomaly but now a pattern.  We are close, but changes really need to be made. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, tnt said:

The scary part for UND should be that with the huge downturn in attendance, it is getting harder for season ticket holders to sell their tickets when they can't go, and when they do, it is for the fraction of the price they would garner in the past.  If attendance at UND continues to diminish,  it might be more worthwhile to skip season tickets and pay a premium for certain games, then get the rest on the cheap.  The same goes for the regionals.  If fans continue to take a hit, they might just quit buying and pay a premium during the years they do make it.  The culture of UND hockey is changing and it isn't for the better.  If I were in charge of the Ralph, I would figure out a way to make it easier for fans to attend by figuring out a better parking situation, because if the product isn't enticing people as much, you better not make the other things around the game a headache to deal with.  

I made comments on here how it was getting to be a challenge to sell individual tickets the last two years and got shot down. 

This year was by far even worse. Now the butts in seats this year was a real sign of attendance is going down. Just about every game had a lot of empty seats, including the student section.  Can only imagine it is going to get worse. I'm going to lower my season tickets by 4.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Langster019 said:

Who’s mentality do you speak of? 

As a fan, mine and yours, and everyone else  on this forum, our mentalities have zero effect on the outcomes of games and seasons.

Don’t make the jump of a fan’s mentality vs a mentality of a program trying to make this point as your opinion is likely far from fact. I’m sure you’ve been in the locker room all year to know too. (What did you call this? Oh yeah, sarcasm)

Was friends with a few of the guys, and had classes with even more, who played on the '13-'16 teams...... you'd be surprised. They are aware of SS and the scrutiny (or praise) they receive on this board. SS is just as accessible to them as it is to all of us. And believe it or not, there's emotional sincerity driving their appreciation for us fans,  be it personally, in an interview or whatever the mode is. 

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

The scary part for UND should be that with the huge downturn in attendance, it is getting harder for season ticket holders to sell their tickets when they can't go, and when they do, it is for the fraction of the price they would garner in the past.  If attendance at UND continues to diminish,  it might be more worthwhile to skip season tickets and pay a premium for certain games, then get the rest on the cheap.  The same goes for the regionals.  If fans continue to take a hit, they might just quit buying and pay a premium during the years they do make it.  The culture of UND hockey is changing and it isn't for the better.  If I were in charge of the Ralph, I would figure out a way to make it easier for fans to attend by figuring out a better parking situation, because if the product isn't enticing people as much, you better not make the other things around the game a headache to deal with.  

Didn't realize attendance has been taking a hit the last couple years, that's a bit discerning. How many empty seats on average? 

6 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I made comments on here how it was getting to be a challenge to sell individual tickets the last two years and got shot down. 

This year was by far even worse. Now the butts in seats this year was a real sign of attendance is going down. Just about every game had a lot of empty seats, including the student section.  Can only imagine it is going to get worse. I'm going to lower my season tickets by 4.

I gave away more tickets than I sold this season just so they wouldn't go to waste when we had a conflict and couldn't attend. People just not as interested in buying seats this season for sure 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I gave away more tickets than I sold this season just so they wouldn't go to waste when we had a conflict and couldn't attend. People just not as interested in buying seats this season for sure 

Not surprising. The team just wasn’t very entertaining most of the time. I can’t remember ever being less interested in a UND hockey team.