Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season


Frozen4sioux
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

DU has to be in Loveland.  If UND is overall #1 they should be in Loveland.  You are correct that they will debate that 2 vs 3 seed matchup as to how it holds bracket integrity.  They tend to try and protect the #1 overall seed from the top #2 seeds

Unless DU is a 1-seed, UND will be in Loveland if they are the No. 1 overall seed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is there an advantage to traveling east to a different time zone, vs west to a difference time zone?  avoiding a regional with DU....   is that what ya'll are thinking?

Mine is wanting to avoid DU. Not afraid of them, but would just prefer to not have to play them in Colorado.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

If this was the Old Ralph... UND would be #1... the New Ralph.... meh.  Don't get me wrong, I still love going to games, and now taking my kids there, but I would trade 100 games at the new arena to be a part of some of those game atmospheres at the old place.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Unless DU is a 1-seed, UND will be in Loveland if they are the No. 1 overall seed.

You think the committee would stick the number 1 overall at regional with the host who is 5  or 6 in the pairwise? That ruins bracket integrity. If denver was  the lowest 2 seed it's possible but if they are a high 2 seed and und is number 1 overall I dont see them going there. Again it's a flight no matter what and you gotta protect the number 1 overall seed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:

You think the committee would stick the number 1 overall at regional with the host who is 5  or 6 in the pairwise? That ruins bracket integrity. If denver was  the lowest 2 seed it's possible but if they are a high 2 seed and und is number 1 overall I dont see them going there. Again it's a flight no matter what and you gotta protect the number 1 overall seed. 

I get what you're saying. I think it's possible if DU is No. 5 or 6 UND goes east, but I still think they'd prefer UND in the west. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gordwiser said:

If this was the Old Ralph... UND would be #1... the New Ralph.... meh.  Don't get me wrong, I still love going to games, and now taking my kids there, but I would trade 100 games at the new arena to be a part of some of those game atmospheres at the old place.

It was great.  Hard as it might seem to believe, the Barn was crazier sometimes.  In the first years at the new "old" Ralph, many students thought it was sedate compared to the Barn.    The cold and smaller venue, I suppose, and the teams weren't good during the early years of the old Ralph.  Later, though, it was home to a bunch of NC teams, and that always gets a place rocking. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gordwiser said:

If this was the Old Ralph... UND would be #1... the New Ralph.... meh.  Don't get me wrong, I still love going to games, and now taking my kids there, but I would trade 100 games at the new arena to be a part of some of those game atmospheres at the old place.

Didn't experience the Old Ralph, but I don't find anything about the new arena to be all that special, atmosphere-wise.  Obviously there are some exceptions like the Gophers or playoffs...but for the most part, it's just average.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Unless DU is a 1-seed, UND will be in Loveland if they are the No. 1 overall seed.

If DU is a 4 seed, UND will not be in Loveland either due to the intra conference  rule.  
 

i think the committee will start with straight brackets and see if they break down into obvious sites...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

If DU is a 4 seed, UND will not be in Loveland either due to the intra conference  rule.  
 

i think the committee will start with straight brackets and see if they break down into obvious sites...

Sorry, that was me assuming when I said "unless DU is a 1-seed" that it was implied they would be a 2 or a 3. I can see how that would be easily missed because I didn't point out the four. 

 

3 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Seems like both UND and DU could easily end up being number one seeds and would therefor be in separate regions??

If both are 1-seeds, they would be in different regions, yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

SEEDING AND PAIRINGS

The following steps are taken during the selection meeting:

In setting up the tournament, the committee begins with a list of priorities to ensure a successful tournament on all fronts, including competitive equity, financial success and the likelihood of a playoff-type atmosphere at each regional site. For this model, the following is a basic set of priorities:

1. Once the six automatic qualifiers and 10 at-large teams are selected, the next step is to develop four groups from the committee’s rankings of 1-16. The top four teams are No. 1 seeds and will be placed in the bracket so that if all four teams advance to the Men’s Frozen Four, the No. 1 seed will play the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed will play the No. 3 seed in the semifinals. The next four are targeted as No. 2 seeds. The next four are No. 3 seeds and the last four are No. 4 seeds.

2. Step two is to place the home teams. Host institutions that qualify will be placed at home.

3. Step three is to fill in the bracket so that first-round conference matchups are avoided, unless it corrupts the integrity of the bracket. If five or more teams from one conference are selected to the championship, then the integrity of the bracket will be protected (i.e., maintaining the pairing process according to seed will take priority over avoidance of first-round conference matchups). To complete each regional, the committee assigns one team from each of the remaining seeded groups so there is a No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 seed at each regional site.


Note: The seeding and pairings criteria are subject to change per the policies of the NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2019DIMIH_PreChamp_Manual_20181121.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It's far from average :lol:

You're welcome to disagree. 

I look around and see more people concerned about taking selfies than watching the game.  It's obviously better than a bunch of college arenas, but it's not what it should be.  When you attend events like a Fargo Regional, with everyone into the game, it's a letdown when you return to The Ralph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, franchise said:

You're welcome to disagree. 

I look around and see more people concerned about taking selfies than watching the game.  It's obviously better than a bunch of college arenas, but it's not what it should be.  When you attend events like a Fargo Regional, with everyone into the game, it's a letdown when you return to The Ralph.

Playoff hockey is just a bit different. Put a regional in the Ralph.....and then compare the two.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

Playoff hockey is just a bit different. Put a regional in the Ralph.....and then compare the two.

Exactly. Some may remember the regional at the Ralph where Holy Cross beat Minnesota, and UND beat Michigan where Jonathan Toews had a hatty. It was absolutely electric in there, more than any atmosphere I have ever experienced at any Frozen Four or Regional---and I have attended at least 8 Frozen Fours (3 UND championships) and multiple regionals. I have also been a season ticket holder since 1986 and went to games in the Old Barn as a kid, so I have experienced great crowds. That regional at REA was special and unique. It is exactly why Hakstol was right that the regionals should return to campus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...