SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

12 minutes ago, Stack said:

I started going through the list of players leaving and then trying to figure out who is actually coming in this fall.  We also know about Westin Michaud from CC who will be a senior.

The players Schloss has mentioned coming in are:  Frisch (D), Pinto (F), Caulfield (F), Blaisdell (F). If you then look at birth years and production the players that seem likely to also come on are:  Riese Gaber (F),  Murphy Stratton (F), and possibly  Carter Randklev depending on his injury. Braden Costello doesn't seem ready. So does anyone know who from this list may be coming in?

If the numbers are right that could mean that some of our senior forwards may either be transferring or not be playing  (Casey Johnson, Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen).

Thoughts anyone?

Stratton, to my knowledge, will be here but sitting out the year to serve his WHL penalty. I haven’t yet heard that this has changed. 

Carson Albrecht is the other forward that will be here. The others I do not believe will be here without someone else departing. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Stratton, to my knowledge, will be here but sitting out the year to serve his WHL penalty. I haven’t yet heard that this has changed. 

Carson Albrecht is the other forward that will be here. The others I do not believe will be here without someone else departing. 

Yup. This is it, I believe.

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

i could see Gaber but I thought Randklev was going for one more year in the USHL

The last I heard about Randklev was another year in the USHL. I heard it was because of his injury and the original plan was for him to come in this year. I don't know if that's true, just what I heard.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:53 PM, Oldguy said:

I'm hoping that the "new normal" is to carry a few more players at forward, so we don't end up where UND has in several recent seasons.  They have been either unable to field a full lineup due to injuries, or unable to sit unproductive players, because they have nobody else.  Rosters of 25 have not been working very well.

Splitting 18 scholarships among 25 players is hard enough.   Splitting 18 scholarships among 28 players would be even harder.

Hockey is a full scholarship sport.  Any one getting a partial the NCAA considers that a full.  Other players may be on the team, with the intent to give a scholarship later or that was formerly on scholarship a previous year, but they don’t count for the limit.

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Hockey is a full scholarship sport.  Any one getting a partial the NCAA considers that a full.  Other players may be on the team, with the intent to give a scholarship later or that was formerly on scholarship a previous year, but they don’t count for the limit.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2015/09/10-need-know-facts-about-ncaa-hockey-scholarships.php

Has it changed since 2015? I’ve always heard they can split them how they want.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tnt said:

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2015/09/10-need-know-facts-about-ncaa-hockey-scholarships.php

Has it changed since 2015? I’ve always heard they can split them how they want.

You are correct; hockey is not a head-count(or full scholarship) sport. The only head-count sports are FBS FB, MBB, WBB, WGym, WVB & WTen. (Bylaws 15.5.2, 15.5.5 & 15.5.6). MIH is considered an equivalency sport like all the rest. However MIH has the additional requirement of no more than 30 counters(players receiving any amount of scholarship). So 18 scholarships split over 30 student-athletes, much like 63 scholarships over 85 student-athletes in FCS FB.

The applicable bylaw is 15.5.7, and it hasn't changed in over 25 years. (8/1/93)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Went back to rewatch some older games from the past season to refresh my memory on what kind of player he is and he is exactly what this team needs. 

On 4/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, Stack said:

I started going through the list of players leaving and then trying to figure out who is actually coming in this fall.  We also know about Westin Michaud from CC who will be a senior.

The players Schloss has mentioned coming in are:  Frisch (D), Pinto (F), Caulfield (F), Blaisdell (F). If you then look at birth years and production the players that seem likely to also come on are:  Riese Gaber (F),  Murphy Stratton (F), and possibly  Carter Randklev depending on his injury. Braden Costello doesn't seem ready. So does anyone know who from this list may be coming in?

If the numbers are right that could mean that some of our senior forwards may either be transferring or not be playing  (Casey Johnson, Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen).

Thoughts anyone?

You're missing Rizzo

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Since when? He signed his letter, no?

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Signing the NLI has nothing to do with arrival. You’re eligible to sign it your senior year of high school. Many have signed it and not arrived the following year. 

Yeah, I've heard he's not coming. Pretty much certain. Schlossman has noted this a couple times in some of stuff this offseason. 

55 minutes ago, franchise said:

Well that sucks.

With all his injuries, I think they wanted him to have another year in juniors.  The Michaud decision might have sealed the deal.
Who knows.  Hopefully when he comes in next year (20/21), he's ready to contribute right away.  He probably would have this year though too.

• Like 1