SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

I truly believe we need to make some coaching changes.  For those coaches that stay on they need to take a good hard look in the mirror. We also need to re evaluate our recruiting. There should be no way St. Cloud and Duluth should be out recruiting us. No way. So that means a this is on coaching. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

I could see Adams transferring out.

I would if I were him.  Zero Question.

Mismash I believe is too old to go CHL, so he is pretty much F'd like a house cat.  He has to stay and try to develop.  

If I'm an advisor, I am telling everyone of my players to get out!!!!

• Downvote 1

Brady Berry's to do list in the next couple weeks.

1. Put on a brave face on and go to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff this next weekend and watch 4 other teams.

2. Conduct end-of-season interviews with players and make hard decisions on what the 2019-20 roster will look like. Will some current guys need to find other places to play.

3. Conduct end-of season evaluations with his coaching staff. What went right? What went wrong? What improvements and changes are needed? Not just with the power play. The coaches recruit the players, but they also coach them. Some players are more ready to adjust to the college game than others.  And if some are not developing or playing to their potential within the systems, then that falls back on coaching. What can they do to get the most out of those players. They need to "own up" to some of the shortcomings of the on-ice product.

4. Meet with the AD and convince him that the ship will get righted next year. In addition to the tradition and national following from alumni this program gets, hockey is an economic driver for the athletic budget. Not to mention the community.

Anything else?

So, the simple reality of an in-demand prospect is:  you go where your best shot is at developing to get to the next level.  If that includes winning, great!  If that includes a free education, great!  The key is to be a development path.  Sure, you get some regional bias- Toews and Osh choosing NoDak, Eichel choosing BU, etc.  But the reality is you have to prove that you are a development path.  Hak did it. Berry has not.  This is the biggest single risk to Sioux Hockey.  Means way more than Natty's or Broadmoors or Penny Rossas.  Its the way you truly fill the tank and build opportunities for those trophies.  If you're a legit NHL talent, its okay to eventually lose if you are in a system that showcases your ability to put up points and develop a 200 foot game.  We had none of that this year.  Our best forward was a transfer, who I really like, but would've been a stalwart center on most Sioux team third lines, chipping in and being loved...Not our leading scorer.  If my kid is being looked at for D1 in a few years, I'd send him to Duluth over UND right now.  

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

????  No way do ANY of them get NHL deals...I might worry that JBD will go to the CHL...

Agree, nobody on this team has any business going pro early ("strike while the iron is hot', huh/WTH?) but could there be one or two promising underclassmen transferring elsewhere in light of this dumpster fire we have and that is not really looking promising next season barring bringing in a capable scorers (not likely)?  Hope effin not!

Agree that JBD is the biggie this off-season.  If he leaves it's a trainwreck.  Adams would be best served transferring to another college and sitting out a year to get bigger/stronger.

On a positive note, I think the Hain Senden Smith line has the potential to be one of those prolific lines people talk about years down the road. 

Hope nobody leaves but won’t blame them if they do. Berry talks about peeling back the layers and going over everything, Chaves better be involved if we want an honest assessment. We haven’t had that from Berry this year. 7-8 in league scoring but first in penalties. Lack of discipline and no fear of repercussions if you do.

Like I i have said over this season Berry is just too nice for the head coach position, it’s his job to have the players prepared and ready to play and hold them accountable if they don’t. Having a senior Capt. Not scoring in twenty two games and basically cost you some games with penalties and you sit him for one period boy quite the message sent. Chaves needs to get all the athletic teams going in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Agree that JBD is the biggie this off-season.  If he leaves it's a trainwreck.  Adams would be best served transferring to another college and sitting out a year to get bigger/stronger.

On a positive note, I think the Hain Senden Smith line has the potential to be one of those prolific lines people talk about years down the road. 

I believe Adams will find his game if you put him with players who have speed and play the game that way. Putting him on the grind line with 22 just didn’t play into his strengths.

• Upvote 3

If anyone leaves of value and there are only a couple in that category then IMO Berry needs to go ASAP.

yzerman is wise. He knows what he is talking about. He's correct that it's now to the point does any high end kid want to walk off a second story window and jump into this dumpster fire right now cause it's pretty obvious what the process and culture are after these last two years 

There are couple guys that for sure won't be back and it's the old addition but subtraction theory. 

• Upvote 1

Before the program gets cut this sprung due to underachieving let's keep in mind a couple of things.  This team came to play every night, unlike a lot of teams in the past.  They weren't the most talented but their effort should never be questioned.  This team had no high end scoring.  That left when Jost left two years early and Gersich was run out of town last season. Every single coach has had high scoring recruits that do not produce at this level. Anyone remember Wed Dorey?  The high end talent on this team is in the defensemen not forwards.  Do we have any high forwards on the horizon?

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brad only writes that article about the player most likely to leave. 

If I was a betting man, I'd say Poolman is gone.

Honestly, I think he stays. Tucker was promised the world and didn't get it. I'm guessing Tucker is in his ear to stay and sign after his senior season.