SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

9 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Jal goes juco...guess

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I feel like there's a lot of potential departures this year with all the foreign players. Obviously I don't want any of them to leave but it's tough being so far away from home.

After watching Jal in the games he played in November and December, I am surprised by the interest he received by bigger programs than UND.  He needs to gain 30 pounds.  I like what I saw from Hazekamp.  He will hopefully get more playing time with Seales graduating.

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Is there hope that we will challenge for a league championship? Is there hope we can win the league tournament?

I guess I am not too familiar with what everyone else in the conference has returning but I think what we should have returning could compete in the top half of the league for sure. Led by Marlon and Rebraca and throw in Eikens. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess I am not too familiar with what everyone else in the conference has returning but I think what we should have returning could compete in the top half of the league for sure. Led by Marlon and Rebraca and throw in Eikens. 

I think the Summit League Tournament will give us a window as what to expect next year. SDSU will take a step back but will still be good with Jenkins leading the show.  Omaha will be strong still and NDSU will be up there with everyone coming back.  USD will be higher with one of their better players back from injury.  ORU will be decent.  Fort Wayne will take a step back but has historically been in the top half.  WIU has to put it together at some point and DU will be very young but has a good player coming in from Prior Lake. 

Truthfully, up to 6 teams could realistically win the league next year. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think the Summit League Tournament will give us a window as what to expect next year. SDSU will take a step back but will still be good with Jenkins leading the show.  Omaha will be strong still and NDSU will be up there with everyone coming back.  USD will be higher with one of their better players back from injury.  ORU will be decent.  Fort Wayne will take a step back but has historically been in the top half.  WIU has to put it together at some point and DU will be very young but has a good player coming in from Prior Lake. 

Truthfully, up to 6 teams could realistically win the league next year. 

SDSU was beatable this year with one of the Summit's all-time best players in the lineup.  Losing him plus two other starters next season, it's hard to see them in the top 3, unless they have some studs coming in.

25 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

SDSU was beatable this year with one of the Summit's all-time best players in the lineup.  Losing him plus two other starters next season, it's hard to see them in the top 3, unless they have some studs coming in.

Evidently, we gave them a run in GF. Some good players on their team, what gives? Most everybody have coaching problems? 

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Evidently, we gave them a run in GF. Some good players on their team, what gives? Most everybody have coaching problems? 

Not sure, but it sure seems that he didn't have the Jacks mentally prepared for Western.  It goes without saying that you can't overlook anyone at tournament time, even an eighth seed.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I think with Jenkins developing into a star and Arians and King getting more minutes they still will be solid.  Not sure who they have coming in that would make an impact.  

Just to clarify, I don't have these teams in a specific order, I just did SDSU first. 

Got it.  Wasn't sure where you were actually picking them, I was just observing that, just based on what they're losing, it would be hard to see them finishing higher than 4th next season.  Just for starters, I'm thinking Omaha, NDSU, and possibly UND could finish above them next season.  Not sure what some of the other teams have returning.  Looking forward to your outlook for next season. 

I think Und can be in mix at the top of the Summit next year. NDSU looks to be there also for next year. USD I think could be the top team but so much depends on health of the teams and who they have coming in. Any of teams if they bring in top player can change picture who could be top team. If anything shows by end of next year any team could contend in this league and that is true for most of mid major programs. Look at this year everyone said that SDSU is going to run away from the conference and look they get beat in first round of the tournament. Even we were One or two plays away from sending home Omaha for the season. Then look liked Fort Wayne was fading fast and look how they dominated SD there isn't that much difference in any of these teams. I think why teams close up at tournament time is  refereeing becomes actually balanced not weighted for the favorites and home teams.  I am looking forward to next season for UND if Jones has as successful off season finding talent as he did last year we could have really fun team to watch nest year. I look at the talent he lost in past couple years to major one division schools we would have had quite successful run in basketball. Two years ago after NCAA year if we had kept Schanks and Bernstine on the team  that year we would have had team could have won the conference tournament. Now this year if we had Crandle at point guard and with other players here we would have had missing piece we needed in point guard. Marlon developed into that player but just think having him and Crandle it would have made us tought match up with us for other teams in the conference. I know there is chemistry risk with Crandle but just looking at it from talent match up we would have been much improved. But the current team we have now has potential to develop into very good basketball team with can couple of pieces where we are weak at now added we could become favorite for next year.