SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs DU

1 hour ago, 108498 said:

Where do UND fans usually hang out before games in Denver? My family got tickets for Friday.

There are a couple of nearby bars-Crimson and Gold is the closest UND hang out to Magness but Spanky’s as well as the Pioneer aren’t too far either. 

• Upvote 1

Down the street from Crimson and Gold, there's a place called Asbury Provisions. If you want a good meal with a beer before the game, I'd recommend it. You need a reservation just because it's a little place but worth it. Food is good and they have good craft beers, with cheap domestics if you want that.

Given the circumstances UND is in, being on the road and currently 18th in the PWR, this is as good of a matchup as UND could have hoped for. We've seen them play Denver four times and they carried play in three of them (leading to 0 wins and 1 point). Denver also has an NCAA bid locked up, no matter how they do this weekend. There is that mental component where you have one team playing for their NCAA lives and the other who's not, which will be an advantage to UND. Denver is currently #7 in the pairwise, UND can potentially make up a lot of ground this weekend.  Denver has also struggled in the 2nd half of the season.

There's a lot of things to really like in this matchup, given how this season has gone, I'm probably irrationally confident in UNDs chances this weekend. I like UND in three games. Win and advance. That scenario will most likely lead to UND needing to win the NCHC tournament to get a birth, since any chance at an at large bid, I see only one loss in the NCHC tourney to have a shot.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Given the circumstances UND is in, being on the road and currently 18th in the PWR, this is as good of a matchup as UND could have hoped for. We've seen them play Denver four times and they carried play in three of them (leading to 0 wins and 1 point). Denver also has an NCAA bid locked up, no matter how they do this weekend. There is that mental component where you have one team playing for their NCAA lives and the other who's not, which will be an advantage to UND. Denver is currently #7 in the pairwise, UND can potentially make up a lot of ground this weekend.  Denver has also struggled in the 2nd half of the season.

There's a lot of things to really like in this matchup, given how this season has gone, I'm probably irrationally confident in UNDs chances this weekend. I like UND in three games. Win and advance. That scenario will most likely lead to UND needing to win the NCHC tournament to get a birth, since any chance at an at large bid, I see only one loss in the NCHC tourney to have a shot.

Huh? We beat them 4-1 the 1st game. We tied, lost in OT 2-1 and lost 2-1 in Denver. That’s 4 points

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Huh? We beat them 4-1 the 1st game. We tied, lost in OT 2-1 and lost 2-1 in Denver. That’s 4 points

He’s referring to the three games we carried play in that we didn’t win. 

We actually didn’t play all that well in the game we won. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He’s referring to the three games we carried play in that we didn’t win. 

We actually didn’t play all that well in the game we won. 

True. The game they won they should of lost and the next night vice versa 

40 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

True. The game they won they should of lost and the next night vice versa 

I must have watched a different game. We built a 3-0 lead and shut down DU the rest of the game. DU had a slight edge I in shots but that was because we played shut down and they outshot us in the 3rd. DU only had 22 shots or so.

5 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

This one is destined to go three.  I wish it were in Grand Forks, but it’s always fun to see these rivals meet up in the postseason. 

I sure hope we sweep, we can play with Denver. I still think we have a fighting chance at an at large bid? Those teams just above us will also have stiff competition.

Of coarse higher ranked teams need to win the tourneys, except Atlantic has an auto at least 16th seed. I'm not big on who we play at this stage of this season, but mostly on that we need to win and the teams just above us need to lose or our only chance will be to get an auto bid.

Posters were lately commenting we gain more by beating a higher ranked team, that is true, and I'll add that now that we know we are on the road, there is also more horsepower in road wins. At Denver gives us all that. So a sweep with some loses mixed in to the teams just above us would be pretty sweet.  I just hope both options to qualify for the NCAA's will still be on the table in a week.

18 hours ago, AJS said:

That scenario will most likely lead to UND needing to win the NCHC tournament to get a birth, since any chance at an at large bid, I see only one loss in the NCHC tourney to have a shot.

I disagree.  If we win 2 games in Denver (who is sitting at 7) this weekend, that well improve our ranking considerably.  We are .0078 points behind #14 Harvard.  Lots can happen next week to the teams jut ahead of us.  There is a very good chance that 2 sins in Denver plus 1 more win in St Paul gets us in.

• Upvote 1