SiouxSports.com Forum

To Hogg or not to Hogg, that is the question.

MafiaMan

I'm gonna get this started early this year as this is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed.  For some folks, the WCHA Final Five/NCHC Frozen Faceoff are an annual event - just like the Saturday morning brunch at the Hogg.  This year, with the Fighting Hawks in serious jeopardy of not making the tournament, the question is, how many of you will still be coming to St Paul anyways?  @Wilbur  @Oxbow6  @NorthDakotaHockey  @Shawn-O  @Godsmack  @Goon  @LeftyZL

I'm 50/50 on hosting the event this year without North Dakota in town.  It's been a long time since this has even come up (2001), so it's certainly a bummer. 

In a related story, every year since I started hosting this event, people who attend usually walk out the door with some goodies in their hands.  I typically bring some give-away items and some show-off items from my Sioux collection.  At some point in the past I believe two years, my oldest son brought along a bag of 30-year old WCHA hockey pins (in a Ziploc bag) to show off.  I have come to the conclusion that someone must have thought these were freebies and took them from my box at the Hogg.  I line up free items on a table and people can grab something, while items for show-and-tell remain in the box.  I think while distracted by my brats kids at some point, somebody looked into the bin and went home with what they felt was a VERY nice gift.  I am by no means accusing someone of stealing them and 100% believe it was an honest mistake, but I cannot tell you all how much I would appreciate these being returned to me.  The bag consisted of every WCHA team pin at the time - each roughly the size of a 50 cent piece -- featuring a school logo, team name, and hockey sticks on each side.  Also in the bag were some Super Bowl pins and perhaps some smaller Fighting Sioux pins.  These items may or may not have financial value (I saw one such pin listed on eBay for $175 this week), but they have sentimental value mostly in that they were a gift from a long-lost friend of mine at the end of my college days.  I can't tell you how happy I would be to see these returned to me.  Thank you.     

• Upvote 3

I will be at the Hogg assuming the event is still on.

As for your pins, I can’t tell you how terrible I feel for you. As a collector of memorabilia, I would feel bad if I lost items that were of great sentimental value as well. Please, if anyone accidentally took them by mistake, please return them to @MafiaMan

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@Langster019

newbies are always welcome at the Hogg.  We usually meet around 11 am - 1 pm on Saturday.  If I see some more folks coming regardless of whether UND is in the tournament, I’ll continue the Hoggsbreath tradition again this year.

As of now, I plan on being there with a plus 1 as well.

49 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm out.......I'll be donating plasma that weekend to pay for 4 extra Regional tickets I bought beyond my 4 tickets thinking I'd be able to watch UND in my my home town.

I’m sure you could sell them for a pretty penny to the droves and droves of DU fans who travel to watch them play on the road.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:46 AM, MafiaMan said:

I'm 50/50 on hosting the event this year without North Dakota in town.  It's been a long time since this has even come up (2001), so it's certainly a bummer. 

2001? I think you mean 2002. In 2001, we lost the title game in OT to St. Cloud when they tackled our goaltender and got away with it (yes, I am still sore about it).

But yes, definitely a bummer all around. :(

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

2001? I think you mean 2002. In 2001, we lost the title game in OT to St. Cloud when they tackled our goaltender and got away with it (yes, I am still sore about it).

But yes, definitely a bummer all around. :(

Ugh, thanks for the reminder.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

9 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ugh, thanks for the reminder.

Yea...WTF would you brIng THAT up?

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This from a poster that LOVES to point out other people's grammatical errors. :p #ohtheirony

My comment was meant in jest.

note to self:  use smiley face next time...and that should actually be “who LOVES,” not “that LOVES.”

• Upvote 2